Matcap's painting Corner; Knight Incoming! - Page 8 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 119 (permalink) Old 03-03-14, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Matcap's Avatar
Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 409
Reputation: 20
Default

Now for a change of scenery, I (re)painted the x-wings and Tie fighters from my x-wing miniatures. A nice little distraction which mostly entailed playing with washes and glazes and a bit of osl experimentation






I know the Tie fighter engines are off from the canon, but I feel the rule of cool trumps all
Matcap is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #72 of 119 (permalink) Old 03-04-14, 01:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Iraqiel's Avatar
Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Top End
Posts: 2,422
Reputation: 68
Default

What a sweet project log! i have the billowing smoke markers too, i just need to get round to painting them!

I've also been frustrated by the army painter sprays, they are extremely grainy and range from dissatisfactory right up to completely unusable. Shame, because they would be such useful things if they worked.

OSL looks great on the X Wing models, great job.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966

Last edited by Iraqiel; 03-08-14 at 01:30 PM.
Iraqiel is offline  
post #73 of 119 (permalink) Old 03-07-14, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Matcap's Avatar
Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 409
Reputation: 20
Default

@Iraqiel Thanks for the kind words!

Painting the smoke markers takes very little time; just a quick spray with a black spray can and you' re done.

I was also very disappointed with the army painter cans. They could've made getting that first basecoat smooth so much easier, now it resulted in my tanks taking a paint stripper bath . Now I might have to save for an airbrush or just take my time on every mini...

Some hobby progress has been made, and reverted again. It seems I just can' t help myself when I botch certain parts of a mini, so the libby, which was about 70% done went back in the paint stripper. Can't have a grainy effect to the 10 layers of blending I was doing on his robe now can we?

Did build a wet-pallette though so that's some progress I guess
Matcap is offline  
 
post #74 of 119 (permalink) Old 03-07-14, 02:21 PM
Senior Member
 
SwedeMarine's Avatar
SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bothell WA
Posts: 1,665
Reputation: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matcap View Post
I was also very disappointed with the army painter cans. They could've made getting that first basecoat smooth so much easier, now it resulted in my tanks taking a paint stripper bath . Now I might have to save for an airbrush or just take my time on every mini...

Some hobby progress has been made, and reverted again. It seems I just can' t help myself when I botch certain parts of a mini, so the libby, which was about 70% done went back in the paint stripper. Can't have a grainy effect to the 10 layers of blending I was doing on his robe now can we?

Did build a wet-pallette though so that's some progress I guess
Uscks to hear that bro. I would honestly make the investment into the airbrush if i was you. Especially if you plan to continue in the hobby. They are great for large models and to get a basecoat on a model. Ive moved away from spray cans entirely. Wet pallette is also very useful. youre really talented so tehe learning curve on the airbrush shouldnt be that bad for you.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

SwedeMarine is offline  
post #75 of 119 (permalink) Old 03-22-14, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Matcap's Avatar
Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 409
Reputation: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMarine View Post
Uscks to hear that bro. I would honestly make the investment into the airbrush if i was you. Especially if you plan to continue in the hobby. They are great for large models and to get a basecoat on a model. Ive moved away from spray cans entirely. Wet pallette is also very useful. youre really talented so tehe learning curve on the airbrush shouldnt be that bad for you.
It does seem like a good idea... though on account of buying a house soon I think my funds will be invested otherwise for the forseeable future (Also the reason the updating has been even slower than normal)

Good news though, the libby is done! Still no decent camera so you lot will have to make do with my crappy phone pictures . Any C&C is more than welcome as I feel like I'm hitting a ceiling skillwise. I just can't get paint to thin in such a way that it is still managable but won't feth up a model when I try to get smooth transitions with 5-6+ layers.


Matcap is offline  
post #76 of 119 (permalink) Old 03-23-14, 01:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Iraqiel's Avatar
Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Top End
Posts: 2,422
Reputation: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matcap View Post
Any C&C is more than welcome as I feel like I'm hitting a ceiling skillwise. I just can't get paint to thin in such a way that it is still managable but won't feth up a model when I try to get smooth transitions with 5-6+ layers.
Bloody awesome mate, you are doing a much better job than I! Perhaps scan the project logs section and look for people who's skill you'd like to emulate, then approach them for advice.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
Iraqiel is offline  
post #77 of 119 (permalink) Old 03-31-14, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Matcap's Avatar
Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 409
Reputation: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
Bloody awesome mate, you are doing a much better job than I! Perhaps scan the project logs section and look for people who's skill you'd like to emulate, then approach them for advice.
Thanks man that's a good tip as well, been working off of tutorials so far, so might need to start becoming a bit more pro-active with asking people their methods.
Matcap is offline  
post #78 of 119 (permalink) Old 04-06-14, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Matcap's Avatar
Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 409
Reputation: 20
Default

Small update with some progress on a company master conversion. De-skullifying a chaplain is taking ages.

Matcap is offline  
post #79 of 119 (permalink) Old 04-06-14, 09:47 AM
Senior Member
 
torealis's Avatar
torealis's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,512
Default

Now that is a marine! Nice! You got a bitz rundown lf what you used?

torealis is offline  
post #80 of 119 (permalink) Old 04-06-14, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Matcap's Avatar
Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 409
Reputation: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by torealis View Post
Now that is a marine! Nice! You got a bitz rundown lf what you used?
Thanks! And sure

- Chaplain Seraphicus for the main body (I dislike all the skulls so am spending alot of time taking the skulls off and hiding chopping work.
- Head from Chapter master Balthasar from the Dark Vengeance set, heightend with a greenstuff neck.
- Relic blade from the ravenwing command set
- Small bits from Dark angel veterans set (the cape clip on his shoulder is a part that is attached to a belt on that sprue)
- Bits and bobs from the new sternguard set; like the grenades.
- Small amounts of greenstuff work.
Matcap is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome