Matcap's painting Corner; Knight Incoming! - Page 12 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-25-15, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands

Right, to prove I haven't been idle of late, some WiP's to show!:

From left to right:
My half built Nephilim.

My now fully magnetised and operational predator with its first basecoat:

My current painting WiP an assault marine that is way overdue:

And last but not least my chapter master/captain conversion I started some time ago but took apart and started over again. This time making him look leaner and with more DA gubbins. I removed pretty much all of the chaplain's skulls and greenstuffed the resulting damage. Also removed the censor bearer thing on the side, which I really didn't like, hopefully creating a more knightly look:

Also new 32 mm bases! Got 50 of the buggers, so now to rebase everything! They do look a lot better in my opinion. Makes the marines look bigger and gives more room to create on the bases themselves.

I am running into a problem with my slow painting though. The assault marine is the second of a squad I'm painting, but I've switched techniques along the way between the squad members.. So might need to repaint the old one.

Last edited by Matcap; 02-25-15 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 119 (permalink) Old 03-13-15, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Woohoo, update time!

I finished another assault squad member and started rebasing my units. Also redid the original assault squad's guy armour to fit in with the new guy. Some small touch up work to do here and there, but they are mostly finished.

Started using a slightly different colour scheme for the bases, as well as a bit of weathering pigments to blend the boots in with the bases. Also redid the way I paint the OSL in the eyes a little bit.

The pictures are quick phone camera pictures as the lady of the house has taken the good camera with her. C&C are as always very welcome.

Last edited by Matcap; 03-13-15 at 10:13 AM.
post #113 of 119 (permalink) Old 07-02-15, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

So I've been absent a bit, had a bit of a low motivation/other priorities period. But then it started itching again because my little brother got back into playing and painting and the taxreturn this year gave some financial leeway. So I might have gotten a little carried away in my "Hooray I'm back" spending...:

Last edited by Matcap; 07-02-15 at 10:43 AM.

post #114 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-07-16, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

I have returned! Though still active on the hobby side of things, I was too lazy to snip any pictures or post about it on the forums. So here to remedy that a view of what I've been up to:

What's that you say, you don't like the legs on the Knight Warden kit? Sure cut up your 120 Euro model into bits, hoping it will turn out alright.

Note: I decided to post about this build when it was halfway through, so I don't have pictures of all phases, apologies!

Well after a lot of cutting and wailing and gnashing of teeth we got a set of legs going!
I really didn't like the saggy stance of the original pose, so opted to put the legs closer together and in more of a striding pose.

To get what you see above a lot of work had to be done. The balls that the Knight uses as ankles needed to be cut away and redone completely from greenstuff. The support rods on the sides of the ankle also needed resizing. To do this I cut away the original support rod and replaced them with plasticard rod.

Also shown in these puctures is the resculpting of the hip joints. These where the main culprits in the saggy look of the original model, so I cut them off (wincing all the time), then resculpting them in greenstuff. Something I found lacking in some of the other knight reposes is that people tended to leave the hydraulic rods and tubing around the hip area out, because it can be hard to reposition those.

The solution to the hydraulics was to reuse some of the leftover plasticard rods to cut the piping to size and fiddle it in there. For the tubing I just put a blowdryer to the parts to make them more malleable and position them how I wanted them as they cooled down. I do feel these details add a lot to the model and it would be a shame to let them out.

A front view of this part of the construction:

And with the first part of the body on top.

Having reposed the legs, I wanted to maximize my use out of the kit, so lets magnetise everything!

The build continued as a regular knight kit build, but I followed an excellent how to guide at From the Fang to make sure I could use all the pieces: http://fromthefang.blogspot.nl/2015/...en-kit_20.html

This converting was a stage which I didn't photograph, and which he explains a lot better so I'll leave you with the part I'm at now: with several arm pieces, the backmounted guns, faceplates and the stubber/melta magnetised. All the armour parts come off to facilitate painting later on.

Cheers!

(Better shots of finshed other models seen in the pics will be sure to follow)
post #115 of 119 (permalink) Old 01-12-16, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

A progress picture! It's starting to look like an actual knight:
I added a bit of greenstuff to the pin holding the upper body and legs together so it would have less of a slouch. The knight was almost falling over forwards due to the forward tilting position I placed the hips in.

All armour is still removable due to the awesome way the kit works.

Last edited by Matcap; 01-12-16 at 07:14 PM.
post #116 of 119 (permalink) Old 04-26-16, 11:43 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Matcap I just went through your blog again from page 1 and it is awesome to see how far you have come and what an awesome DA force you are assembling - Almost time for an Army shot, don't you think?

The Knight is looking excellent, an imposing sight striding into any battle!

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #117 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-11-16, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks @Iraqiel !

I must admit my forum attendence has been a bit low, and my hobby work has also progressed slowly. But time permitting I might be able to get a proper update going this weekend.
post #118 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-11-16, 02:09 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matcap View Post
But time permitting I might be able to get a proper update going this weekend.
Awesome mate, looking forward to it!

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #119 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-11-16, 09:12 PM
Febris Militarius

Medic Marine's Flag is: Australia

Great looking DA!

Life is all anatomy lessons and paint brushes

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode