Blood for Blood - The Angels Vermillion - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-20-12, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

LegionThree's Flag is: USA

Thats what i was going for with the coloring Hellados. I wanted to show the rushed proccess that would occur if your battle brother fell to rage. You dont want to get him into a whole new set of armor so what do you do? Grab some closck paint and call if good.
The armor started dark brown then a light spray of dark red over top. Then they get a wash of black all over to darken them up some more. After that dry brushing and blending two reds onto the red armor and a slightly grey black over the blacks. Then its all detail work. Im thinking another layer of wash after the drybrushing may be the ticket for them though. It does make them look great like you said.

"Take the wine cup of this fury at my hand, and cause all the nations, to whom I send thee, to drink it."

Cron Old Guard https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=110166

Blood for Blood - The Angels Vermillion https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=116834

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-20-12, 01:20 PM

Hellados's Flag is: United Kingdom

In a BA book someone falls to the secret and it's exactly what they do with his armour then when the inevitable happens and a main character has his armour destroyed he ends up with it painted red again.

Hence me leaving all the DC bits showing on the armour of my BAs as a mark of respect if you like

PS I don't like to be too specific

Last edited by Hellados; 12-20-12 at 01:49 PM.
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-20-12, 01:40 PM

Hammer49's Flag is: United Kingdom

The DC marines looking very good!

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-25-12, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Hammer I really enjoy doing them. I should have some Helldread pictures up soon so stay close.

On another note Merry Christmas, we have all received the greatest gift ever.

"Take the wine cup of this fury at my hand, and cause all the nations, to whom I send thee, to drink it."

Blood for Blood - The Angels Vermillion https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=116834

post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-30-12, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Ok I need some advice, hes not done but he seems so blah. Any thoughts on colors or accents or anything?

post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-31-12, 11:56 AM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

HI Legion
Looking good so far, i'm really liking the osl on the termies. Any chance of seeing them on a white background so that it's easier to make out what is osl and what is actual ambient lighting. Kudos on some great poses for the army, it's always nice to see marines posed ready for action.

Now to this guy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionThree View Post
Ok I need some advice, hes not done but he seems so blah. Any thoughts on colors or accents or anything?

I'll be honest i think that the problems you are having with working through the paint scheme on this is more down to the model than anything. The problem is that you've removed some chaos markings but not all and that the details you've added on are reasonably large and heavy. Compare the blood drop on the right shoulder with the chaos star on his right knee and you'll see what i mean.
Some of the biological elements on the model you might have gotten away with painting up as mechanical (painting the six pack on the chest and area around the termi head gold for example to mimic sanguinary guard armour for example) but other aspects are always going to look chaotic. The spikes on the armour trim and bio mass around the shoulders are going to look like chaos components however you paint them.
Out of interest why did you add green stuff to the guitar strings coming from the flame tanks? It seems weird to add a more bio feel to a model you are trying to make look like a loyalist when the component you are adding is already pretty mechanical.
What i guess i'm asking is do you intend this model to be a loyalist or traitor dread. Currently it looks like a dread recently turned to chaos yet still sporting its former chapter colours.

post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-06-13, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Sorry its been so long guys I promise Ill have some more up soon. Being out of town really cuts into productivity.

GrimZag, thank you so much for all the feedback its been a huge eye opener as to the whole model aspect. I was trying to show off the deep dark secrets of the Angels Vermillion that drive them away from all their brothers and force them to be secluded. Mainly dabbling in things that would get them all destroyed. So on that note I thought a mix of mechanical and organic would serve well.

I totally agree with you though that I should have removed more of the spikes on the armor. Ill probably also try and GS some more armor plates onto him in various places. Also the icon sizes of the blood drops and and such on the front stnad out so much now that you mention it. Time to go back resize and then repaint it. Any other thoughts on how to make the mech/organic work are appreciated.

Again thank you so much for the input, really helps get another perspective.

post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-06-13, 09:31 PM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionThree View Post
Sorry its been so long guys I promise Ill have some more up soon. Being out of town really cuts into productivity.

GrimZag, thank you so much for all the feedback its been a huge eye opener as to the whole model aspect. I was trying to show off the deep dark secrets of the Angels Vermillion that drive them away from all their brothers and force them to be secluded. Mainly dabbling in things that would get them all destroyed. So on that note I thought a mix of mechanical and organic would serve well.

I totally agree with you though that I should have removed more of the spikes on the armor. Ill probably also try and GS some more armor plates onto him in various places. Also the icon sizes of the blood drops and and such on the front stnad out so much now that you mention it. Time to go back resize and then repaint it. Any other thoughts on how to make the mech/organic work are appreciated.

Again thank you so much for the input, really helps get another perspective.

No probs dude, heck what you've done is still tons better than my early green stuff work, i remember doing a chaplain on bike that i added a cloak to...he looked like jabba the hutt.

As a pointer, when working with GS keep your fingers wet and when your working on flat plates like armour use the pad of your wet fingers to smooth the surface out. it'll get rid of a lot fo the little cracks that turn up when skulpting and give you a much smoother surface. As for working on the flesh...i'm really not sure, i've not actually seen the Hellbrute model IRL only in pictures.
The closest i've done to trying something like this is plannign out a looted tyranid crnifex where i plan to remove all of the soft tissue and just add pistons and such with the carapace as the armour. I figured that this would probably take me about 20 hours alone...without the time it would take to resculpt damaged sections. The joints are going to be your hardest challenge and depending on how much mech/bio ratio you want to include and whether you want to spend any more money will depend on the best root to take with this. areas like the gun barrels should be easy enough to mech up if you wanted to tone down the bio and like i said a coule of areas will stop looking bio with some mettalic paints. Apart from that i'm not sure how you would go about it.

post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-11-13, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

OK heres the terminators on a white background. It shows that as Im sure you knew a lot of the white was from the light source. I dont know if I want to build it up to that point with paints or leave it.

And one for dramatic effect.

Last edited by LegionThree; 01-11-13 at 07:00 PM.
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-08-13, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

OK guys beeeeeeen a looooooooong time. Sorry for that but Im back!
And heres teh first project, my Chaplain.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode