Malisteen's Black Legionnaires - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-12, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Malisteen's Flag is: USA

Default Malisteen's Black Legionnaires

Hello, my fellow Heretics. Name's Malisteen, and though I'm new around here, some of you may know me from other forums around the net. I'm a chaos player, and though I'd fallen away from the game during 5th edition, 6th edition and the upcoming Chaos codex has me positively psyked. Psyked enough to bust out the remains of my once massive chaos marine collection - now a pale, broken shadow of its former self, and start sorting and modeling in preparation for a major painting offensive.

Anyway, with a mess of sorting and assembling and priming underway, it was time to decide how to start off this painting log, and for a dedicated Black Legionnaire such as myself there was only one model suitable for such an ostentatious occasion - Ezekyle Abaddon himself! Or rather, my conversion of him using a plastic termie lord and old Abaddon's weapons. So here he is, my take on the Despoiler in all his dark glory:

And here he is with his terminator retinue, hanging out on my new, top-of-the-line, genuine corrugated cardboard painting station (Like I'm going to hand GW my hard earned boondollars for an overpriced plastic tray when I could be buying overpriced plastic models instead!) The terminators were painted long ago, and I imagine some of them will be getting hacked apart and reconverted based on how their options look in the new book.

What's that you say? closer pictures of the terminators? But since they were already painted, they aren't technically part of this project! Eh, ok, you pulled my leg.

First up, the elder terminators, primarily converted from 2e plastic loyalist terminators, enlarged & chaosified, starting with the magnetized icon bearer:

And here's some terminators built primarily out of the current chaos termie kit:

And a mixed group, to see how they look together:

Eh, while I'm posting old stuff, here's my daemon prince, who will be partially repainted later on in this project, and my former chaos lord Mojo Jojo (retired since the 4e book took his kai gun) who, if the rumors prove accurate, will be reconverted & repainted as a warpsmith after the new codex is released:

Alright, so enough reliving old glories, back to new stuff! With a monstrous new HQ and massive elites squad ready for the table, I need to work double time on some troops squads to make up the difference. First up is a squad of 10 chaos marines, including magnetized special weapons, champion, & icon bearer. The optional bits will come after, leaving the champion without arms at the moment.

Here's how they started the day:

And here's how they're finishing it out, after a dark grey overbrush, lighter grey drybrush, dark metal trim, P3 gold shoulders, black wash, and light purple ribbing:

Hopefully i'll be able to make some more progress tomorrow, but if not there will at least be some updates this weekend.

And after the chaos marines? More chaos marines!

"The pursuit of knowledge requires a mind unfettered by the petty constraints of ethics, faith, or ... mortality."
~ Roderick Pale

Malisteen's Black Legion Painting Log

Last edited by Malisteen; 10-28-12 at 11:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-12, 10:03 AM
U Mad Bro?

Chaosftw's Flag is: Canada

Wow.. interesting colour scheme! I kind of like where this one is going! Chaos Marines are a beautiful thing! I love how you have I nice mini horde accumulating!
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-12, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

I'm one of those players whose eyes are bigger than his paintbrush. At one point I had over 8,000 points worth of chaos marine models (including an Armorcast Reaver and a Nurgle'd up Baneblade). However, less than half of that was assembled, and barely over 1,000 points were painted, most at nowhere near the level of anything above.

A couple years back I quit warhammer, and tried to sell, trade, or just give away all my stuff. But I had so much, in so many different places, that I failed, and still have upwards of 4,000 points in various stages of disrepair. By the time I found the remaining stashes, I didn't really want to ditch them anymore. There were only a few losses I regret - the superheavies didn't go to a bad home exactly, but the guy I sold them to hasn't done anything with them. If I ever have money again, I might try to buy them back.

What I really miss was my conversion of Him from the Powerpuff girls, made out of a heavily reposed & greenstuffed Keeper of Secrets. He had the whole deal - the crab claws, skinny legs, thigh high boots, santa suit... I don't even know where that ended up, and I doubt I'll ever see it again. Oh, well. At least Mojo's still with me.

As it is, well, my eyes are still way bigger then my paintbrush, but my wallet no longer is, holding impulse purchases somewhat in check, and keeping my hobby enthusiasm focused on the task at hand.

"The pursuit of knowledge requires a mind unfettered by the petty constraints of ethics, faith, or ... mortality."
~ Roderick Pale

Last edited by Malisteen; 08-17-12 at 01:10 PM.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-19-12, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Alright, work on the chaos marines continues. Steps from last time:

purple ink the ribbing
khacki hornes, bones, paper
tan cloth
pink flesh for the white guy, dark flesh for the black guy
iyanden yellow tassels & top knots
mud wash all the khaki/tan/flesh/yellows
black wash for the black guy
highlight ribbing w/ light purple
highlight cloth/hornes/bone w/ tan & khaki
highlight bone & paper w/ mix of khaki & white
highlight yellow w/ iyanden & brighter yellow
highlight white guy w/ flesh & flesh mixed w/ pale grey
highlight black guy with brown & tan
purple & red inks around eyes, cybernetics on the two guys without helmets
stipple/highlight hair for salt & pepper effect on the one guy with hair
pick out silver trim highlights * studs
pick out gold detail highlights
paint bullets brass

And that's all I could get through since the last update (two days of work?). Should hopefully be able to finish these guys up tomorrow. Here's how they look now:

I'm really liking how the champion's turning out. Probably my favorite champ I've worked on. My headcannon is those purity seals are trophies from loyalist sergeants that he's slain who had themselves sworn to slay him and wore those vows to their deaths. I'll have to come up with a fittingly brutal name for him.

Since there's less metal trim on the power armored marines, they look a lot grimmer than my terminators. Later on in this project, I may re-paint the terminators slightly to bring them down a bit. But that wouldn't be for a while.

In the mean time, I need to finish these guys, and then decide whether I'm going to paint something else as a treat before I tackle ten more just like them.

~ Roderick Pale

Last edited by Malisteen; 10-28-12 at 11:19 PM.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-19-12, 11:54 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

Loving the colour scheme. And that Daemon Prince is pretty epic! Is it converted?
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-20-12, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

It's the old metal daemon prince, with wings & tail from the old wood elf forest dragon (before they added little spirits all over it), a face mask from the defiler, and a sword from the keeper of secrets, along with a bit of putty work.

~ Roderick Pale

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-20-12, 11:40 AM

Disciple_of_Ezekiel's Flag is: USA

Hey Malisteen,

Your Black Legion look great and I particularly like the free hand "eye" on the shoulder markings, well done. Your Terminators look great, same goes for Abaddon. All of their power weapons look super. The only strange thing is the Mojo Dojo character...I know it's from a cartoon, just strange =)

Nontheless, great work and look forward to seeing your other additions painted up.

Regards,
DoE

"To retreat is defeat. Advance! Advance! In our Death lies Victory."
Captain Denos, 19th Company,468th regiment of the
Death Korps of Krieg

The K.R.I.E.G. Project (My Death Korps of Krieg Plog)

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-20-12, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Mojo's one of the earliest models in my army. A long time ago, I had seen a few armies based on themes from outside the game - like an Army of Darkness vamp counts army with the propeller car and everything - and I wanted to do something like that. At the time I was a huge powerpuff fan, and I decided to do an army where every model was a recognizeable powerpuff villain, and ended up going with chaos marines in 40k. This was around the time the 3.0 chaos book hit.

At one point I had Mojo piloting a dread, Him as a keeper of secrets, some cultists in orange prison jump suits, a mange completely (and poorly) sculpted out of greenstuff, and three green stuff Amoeba boys with assorted guns floating in them as oblits.

After the 3.5 book was released, I created this version of Mojo as a chaos lord with a Kai gun. But around that time I kind of gave up on the converted army thing - most of the conversions & sculpts weren't very good, and it was way too much work. But in the mean time, I had become a pretty big fan of the Chaos Marine faction and the Black Legion in particular, so I started collecting a more normal chaos force.

At some point all of my powerpuff stuff other was lost or destroyed or given away, and only Mojo remains, hence how out of place he seems with the rest of my more srsbzns chaos army. I still like him though, he's like a mascot, and he will be reconverted and repainted after the new codex hits.

-----------

Actually, the power weapons are something I wanted to ask people's opinions on. When I first started painting my black legion, I was worried that there wouldn't be enough color. Hence the purple ribbing, more prominent red/orange eyes, red wires, blue power weapons, and green plasma coils.

Now I'm wondering if I maybe went a bit overboard, with too many different colors distracting from the overall sombre tone of the black legion's scheme. I definitely like the purple and orange, but I've been considering repainting the plasma coils and power weapons to be red/orange like the eyes, instead of blue and green.

Does that sound like a good idea or not? I'm trying to decide before I get to the point of painting the special weapons and champion bits from the new squad. Or maybe I should just paint them red-orange, stick them next to my terminators, and decide which one I like more then?

~ Roderick Pale

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-12, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Alright, first batch of ten chaos marines is done, and here they are!

Alright, well, they aren't done done. I still need to paint up the magnetized bits - special weapons, icons, & champion arms. That's the next project going, I've still got some magnets to add and mold lines to trim, but I should be able to have that stuff primed tomorrow, and the squad can be done done this weekend.

Anyway, they're done enough for some close ups, so...

~ Roderick Pale

Last edited by Malisteen; 10-28-12 at 11:20 PM.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-12, 02:11 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

Nice man! Like the 'eye' on the shoulder.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode