Silvertabby's Works in Progress (updated 05/08/12) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-12, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

SilverTabby's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Silvertabby's Works in Progress (updated 05/08/12)

I am notorious for starting projects and not finishing them, so I figured if I keep a track of ongoing things online, I may actually stand a chance of completing more of them.

I have 2 main armies, and a number of smaller side-forces. My main armies are Sisters of Battle (ongoing for over 15 years) and Tyranids (even longer, but has seen an entire overhaul mid-2000s). My smaller forces include Slaaneshi daemons and Chaos Marines (all Eldar-Slaanesh based, and on hold until the new dex comes out next month) and Imperial Guard (a subsidiary of my Sisters force, and made entirely of Necromunda Escher figures).

I shall put up a number of pictures of the stuff Iím on-off working on (and some of the recently completed figures), and will update periodically with new work. Iím about to start painting my GDUK entry, so any other painting will wait, but conversion work will continue in the background. I am afraid that painting happens very slowly for my armies, a side-effect of having spent almost a decade painting for a living means I was reluctant to paint for myself after work (plus Iím just a painfully slow painter in general), and children now mean I have little painting time full stop. I am however a prolific convertor.

Feel free to ask any questions, I feel strongly that a huge part of this hobby is the imagination that goes into your army, so anything I can do to help inspire others is fine by me.

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
1) Never give out all the information

A random collection of my stuff

Last edited by SilverTabby; 08-05-12 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-12, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

My Chaos Forces

Originally I loved the idea of a Craftworld that had fallen to Slaanesh, as I like both the Eldar figures and the Slaanesh figures (and daemons with Cow heads, how cool is that?). Then they went and wrote a whole-page fic section about Ker-ys (I think that was itís name, I donít have the Codex to hand) and lo, a solid idea was born. I have a number of half-finished daemon prince/Avatar melds in my bits boxes, but this was left on hold whilst I wait and see what happens with the new Chaos dex, and how I can mix and match to get what Iím after using the Allies rules.

In the meantime, hereís what I put together across the last 10 years or so of fiddlingÖ

This was a Daemon Prince I made almost 10 years ago, itís about the only fully painted Chaos figure I have, other than my chariot and a squad of Diaz daemonettes.

This is a squad I put together just after the new harlequins came out, and are designed to be some kind of chosen unit, again awaiting the new rules.

These guys are the basic troops, I have about 20 of these in various configurations and with different weapons. I even have some with Swooping Hawk wings, though those annoy me because they keep falling off. The Dire Avengers were meant to be squad leaders, as was the Warp Spider, back when Lost and the Damned allowed you to put lone power-armoured champions in with mutant squads. I went for a crab look with the spider, when I found the claws to be fully reversibleÖ

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-12, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

My Tyranids

I do like to know what my army is eventually going to look like, so I have at least two fully finished painted figures as a reference. It means any conversions won’t compromise the scheme by being impossible to paint in that way. At present they are the only two painted figures, but one day I will fix that.

This chap is made from an old 90’s Hive Tyrant, who is the same size as a current Warrior but looks sufficiently different to be a convincing Prime. The arms are pre-production resins rather than the new plastics, cut to the right size for such a smaller figure than the metal big hive tyrant.

I was using a Tervigon long before the new kit came out, and these are a few shots of her as a work in progress. Those little glass balls are so very useful, as are the beads from Britax water filters (which are much smaller).

This is the beginnings of my Parasite of Mortrex, based off a warrior body and WHF Vargheist wings. The two fit together remarkably well, and if no Shrikes come out soon I may invest in some more wings for a unit to accompany this chap…

This girl I’ve been working on for a while, and playtested with her as she was being finished. I do love Harpies, even in 5th when everyone else said they were rubbish. Now she’s even more awesome in 6th she’s likely to be the next ‘Nid to get a coat of paint…

Last edited by SilverTabby; 03-20-13 at 06:20 PM.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-12, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

My Sisters of Battle, and Imperial Guard detachment
(Or Dino-Riding Battle Nuns as a friend recently put it)

This was a girl I converted for GDAtlanta 2007, and she won me the Staff Sword. The Celestine body is remarkably good for character conversions as it comes off at the waist very easily.

This girl was originally a commander for a squad of Rough Riders, then a prototype Seraphim, and now will lead my IG contingent instead. There’s still a litlle neatening up to do on her…

And here’s a few of the Guardsmen with their Heavy weapons. I’ve gone for Autocannons rather than any of the bigger guns (like Lascannons), to avoid straying too far from the proscribed Holy Trinity but introduce something other than Heavy Bolters (which are much harder to fit on the back of a Cold One).

This one started life as a Sentinal, but with the advent of 6th (well, it actually changed about a year ago) has become a Hydra Flak Tank instead. The guns are removable so it can be mounted on a Bastion if needed.

This is the Leader of my Sisters Penitent force, Saint Bridgette, Guide and Guardian of the Repentant Soul. The model was sorely lacking a Heavy Flamer, so I thought I’d put one on that matched the lizard-theme of my army

These are my current projects, to add to my Penitent Force. The Lhamaen is being turned into a Mistress of Repentance, and the Wyches into the Repentia. I can’t stand the current models, so I figured something with an equally flimsy-looking set of armour but better definition would do nicely. The chainswords are the Canonesses one, which is a perfect size match to the current Repentia, and the heads are from Hasslefree miniatures.

These just got much better with the release of 6th, so of course I had to add a third one to my army…

And a transport for my IG I started about 6 years ago, a Chimera. The tank portion is virtually finished, I just need to work on making the LotR dragon look less LotR-y…

Last edited by SilverTabby; 11-09-12 at 09:02 AM.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-12, 02:36 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Simply stunning, I love the 'nid and the award for the Sister is well deserved
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-12, 02:51 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Beautiful all around. I love the scheme on the nids, though I would think it is especially time consuming. Also the GS work on the flamer dragon is top notch. Can't wait to see more.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-12, 04:11 PM

Pssyche's Flag is: England

Incredible stuff.

Oh, and
"...on hold until the new dex comes out next month..."
Is that just speculation, confirmed or do you now have to kill everybody who read your post?

Though I take your life, I promise you the stars...
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-12, 04:15 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Excellent work

Now stop reading our compliments and start painting.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-12, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pssyche View Post
Incredible stuff.

Oh, and
"...on hold until the new dex comes out next month..."
Is that just speculation, confirmed or do you now have to kill everybody who read your post?
It's pretty much a definate. I can't be 100% sure, but I have enough evidence I'd need to kill people for reading that I'm 95% certain.

As for the 'nid colour scheme: you'd be amazed how quick it'll be to do on the smaller stuff. It's actually the bone that takes ages, but I'm working on trying out a Halfords colour spray to make that quicker too. There's a maximum of two highlights on each colour, they are just stark ones that are well water-blended together on application.

And tomorrow is the first painting day I've had in months, you'll just have to wait til September to see what I'm painting

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-12, 06:45 PM

Pssyche's Flag is: England

So it's either Sisters of Battle or Squats?
And I don't think Squats are due a Codex anytime soon...
Ha ha ha...

Though I take your life, I promise you the stars...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode