Night Lords 10th & 11th Companies! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-09-12, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

Default Night Lords 10th & 11th Companies!

"My sons, the galaxy is burning. We all bear witness to a final truth -- our way is not the way of the Imperium.
You have never stood in the Emperor’s light. Never worn the Imperial eagle. And you never will.
You shall stand in midnight clad, your claws forever red with the lifeblood of my father’s failed empire, warring through the centuries as the talons of a murdered god.
Rise, my sons, and take your wrath across the stars, in my name. In my memory. Rise, my Night Lords.
"

- The Primarch Konrad Curze, at the final gathering of the VIII Legion.

So after having so many balls in the air, I thought to myself, better get my s**t straightened up and put into numbers so I can keep track of everything. This is my 3rd full powered CSM-army. Unlike my my Emperor's Children and Iron Warriors, which is based upon my own writings, this army will be based upon the famous & popular Night Lords-trilogy, written by the author Aaron Dembski-Bowden. I've read all materials released about them so far, and I will do my best to keep it up with the established fluff. Each character isn't based upon the same time-period. I will go into more specific details later. Without the World Eaters auxilliary, the army so far reaches 1120 points.

Here are the list of my content (as of June, 2012):
HQ:
- Night Lord Chaos Lord/Hero; with power fist & combi-weapon. 125

Elites:
- Chosen Chaos Space Marines/Talos Valcoran's First Claw. 5 Chosen, 2 power weapons/swords, 1 heavy bolter. 130

Troops:
- Chaos Space Marines/Ruven's Second Claw. 10 CSM, Mark of Tzeentch, 1 power fist, 1 meltagun, 1 plasmagun. 250.
- Chaos Space Marines/Third Claw. 10 CSM, Mark of Khorne. 1 meltagun, 1 plasmagun. 230.
- Khorne Bezerkers/World Eaters. (Not official fluff, only gaming related.) 183

Fast Attack:
- Chaos Raptors/Lucoryphus Bleeding Eyes' Cult/Ninth Claw. 5 Raptors. 190

Heavy Support:
- Chaos Havocs/Fourth Claw. 5 Havocs. 1 lascannon, 1 heavy bolter, missile lanucher, 1 autocannon. 195.

Ninth Claw: This is Lucoryphus Bleeding Eyes' Cult, slightly mentioned in The Core that they belonged to 9th Claw. From the description, they still wear traditional midnight blue armour, only that they have painted tears on their helmets. Lucoryphus is described to be more bird-like, warp-changed into something he doesn't even himself recognize, but I won't be able to convert any like this. Here are my first official pictures:

Edit: Also should note this is the 2nd time ever I painted Night Lords, and first time ever I've worked with Raptor models. The metallic ones, at that, are not smoth going. Also this is a work in progress, so bare with me here.

Last edited by forkmaster; 06-09-12 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-10-12, 10:18 AM

Disciple_of_Ezekiel's Flag is: USA

Well so far so good mate. Seeing as how you said this is your first time working with them, I think they look good. Not so sure about the little flames at the ends of their feet, but everything else looks good! Maybe make the lightning bolts a little thinner as they are just a little to thick.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
DoE

"To retreat is defeat. Advance! Advance! In our Death lies Victory."
Captain Denos, 19th Company,468th regiment of the
Death Korps of Krieg

The K.R.I.E.G. Project (My Death Korps of Krieg Plog)

post #3 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_of_Ezekiel View Post
Well so far so good mate. Seeing as how you said this is your first time working with them, I think they look good. Not so sure about the little flames at the ends of their feet, but everything else looks good! Maybe make the lightning bolts a little thinner as they are just a little to thick.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
DoE
Why thank you! Yes I wasn't sure about painting dust or fire, so I went with the latter just to try it. It looks much better in real life I might add though. So I can update you readers with my current progress. While going through my Death Guard, which I will dismantle and sell now I've managed to establish to myself, I removed three of them and re-painted as Night Lords (a lot of repainting to do), which gives me one extra to make Variel. Does anybody know exactly what type of weapons he has?

First Claw: I've finished Xarl, Uzas and Mercutian.
Second claw: I've finished the squad champion, Ruven and a regular Night Lord with nothing special about him.
Third Claw:The standard bearer is complete.
Fourth Claw: Every member so far is finished except for the last heavy bolter.

Pictures: So thought I go into detail here. As I should say, Fourth Claw used to be Emperor's Children, but when I counted my points for that army I was like "Shit, I don't even need this squad!" so I re-painted them as Night Lords. Here are some Before-pictures. It should be noted, the Aspiring Champion is replaced by another as can be seen in picture 5. These are before and after pictures, how the Aspiring Champions have changed. In the first 2 pictures is the champion for 2nd Claw, and the last 2 pictures is for 4th Claw. I hope that is now confusing.

Future Plans: Deciding what to expand my Night Lords force upon, whether it be army box or separate box's and whether or not to get additional 5 Raptors. And then finish painting what I got.

Last edited by forkmaster; 06-18-12 at 12:14 PM.

post #4 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 12:43 PM

CPT Killjoy's Flag is: USA

Great work all around. I really hope the new codex is kind to the night lords, because right now, your army would have a tough time I think. Other than that, they look really good. I have to say that the lighting looks exactly like when I try to paint it (or cracks for that matter). Which brings me to:

Question for the Masses: Does anyone have any suggestions for getting them to look more realistic?

"In the game of chess, you must never let your opponent see your pieces."
-Captain Zapp Brannigan
post #5 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Killjoy View Post
Great work all around. I really hope the new codex is kind to the night lords, because right now, your army would have a tough time I think. Other than that, they look really good. I have to say that the lighting looks exactly like when I try to paint it (or cracks for that matter). Which brings me to:

Question for the Masses: Does anyone have any suggestions for getting them to look more realistic?
As I've understand it, Chaos in general is in pretty bad shape. This is mostly due to collecting and creating, not playing actually. I think my 3000 points Emperor's Children would be better to use then as I got every type of squad there is pretty much.

Yeah I'm afraid that's more or less the best I can do with lightnings. Hopefully others can answer it better.
post #6 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-20-12, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Here comes my so far only HQ choice, the Night Lord Hero. I'm quite satisfied with him. As said, I'm not quite sure who this will represent other than Malcharion pre-Dreadnought:

post #7 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-07-12, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

So here finally comes my Chosen squad, First Claw of 10th Company. The minis are based upon this picture, so let me know what you think.

post #8 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-07-12, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

And here they are as individual characters. I am really satisefied with my work here, except on Talos as I didn't get a real Blood Angels sword, the NL-sword you get in the convert pack had to do. I tried my best to defile his imperial Aquila, but that didn't go too well as you hardly see it. Variel is a bit of a wild card as I didn't have any real flayed shoulder pads, I thought of doing him so it looked like a former Red Corsair. I wish I was better at converting models, because I would have made a longer broad chainsword for Xarl and have him hold it with both hands:

post #9 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-08-12, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

One last update here before this week is over. Next week I will begun working at a day-care thingy, for kids to attend while their parents work. Not kindergarden but for older kids who have started school. So this means less time for bad ass Night Lords.

Next update will be Ruven, and instead of making him a simple aspiring champion for 2nd Claw, he will be a Chaos Sorceror and my 2nd HQ. This is how I pictured him after the flashback in Void Stalker, except that he wields a magic wand instead of a sword
:

post #10 of 117 (permalink) Old 07-08-12, 06:28 PM

When I see Night Lords I want to see Rhinos!

I do love the Night Lords Character model (having bought it 7 times), but I always felt like the legs were out of proportion with the rest of him. Makes him look a little short and weedy next to the plastics. And God Forbid you stand it next to Ahriman!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode