Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

The Gunslinger's Project Log

13K views 121 replies 21 participants last post by  The Gunslinger 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals, decided to make this project log to show my mediocre progress on all my projects, so here you are, hope you enjoy and all criticism is welcome.

Cheers,
The Gunslinger

#34 ·
Ok finished the first ten bases with the new style, first time basing to this complexity with sand, multy paint layers and them some dead grass:

They were based on this example:
Dustbowl
Basecoat: Tallarn Sand.
Highlight 1: Karak Stone.
Highlight 2: Ushabti Bone.
Rim: Steel Legion Drab.
Scatter: Dead Grass.

from this tutorial which was pretty good.
http://row40k.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/basing-your-miniatures-basics.html

Cheers,
The Gunslinger

#36 ·
Hey all, been adding to my vampire counts. I have decided to create a Lahmian army so i have ordered some tomb kings shields to give it a more Lahmian feel. I have also picked up a garden of morr cheap on ebay so i am using parts of that as unit fillers. Hopefully it will give each unit more of a dynamic look.

Here is the first unit of skeletons, they are 6 wide and 8 deep. I have joined some of the bases together in groups of four and decorated them.

The coffin at the front will eventually have a wraith coming out of it, i wanted to give the model some height over all the overs.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
The Gunslinger

#47 ·
It could be the photo, but they look like they could do with a wash and some highlighting. The blue looks very flat, and all that bone could use some depth. I know this sounds like a scratched record considering my post regarding your necromancer, but really, washes are so simple and effective to do. If you're going to do masses of flat colours like the blue and bone, washes and highlights will help make them pop.

A spot colour might also help. Pick something like the skulls on the shields and banner and maybe do them as jewel-like, maybe emerald or ruby. That one small touch of colour can make all the difference.

#48 ·
Yea i realised i forgot to dry brush the blue, i have done it now, looks much better. Il post a new photo in a minute.
For the skeletons i base coat Zandri Dust, then wash Seraphin Sepia and then dry brush Praxeti white.
Im not sure i like the idea of really putting colour in there, dosnt seem very undeady.
I am putting much more colour on the Champion though.

#53 ·
As of late I keep finding my self looking longingly at my boxes of warhammer in the corner, as if they are calling out to me to once again begin working on the assembly line of far to many skeletons.
It doesn't help that I have recently re read some of the commissar Cain novels, which has left me interested in the universe again.
Alas I must attempt to crush this forlorn hope of once again taking up the hobby, I have far to much work to do, essays to write and boring historical texts to read…

Who am I kidding, mediocre progress coming soon!!!

#56 ·
It was more the effect i was going for, i followed a guide for painting ethereals in an old white dwarf, it started with astronomican grey, washed with asurmen blue and then just drybrushed lighter and lighter.

I was happy with the ethereal bits, just not sure how i feel about the corporeal bits now that i have done it.

I know its hard to tell because of the picture quality but iv tried to have the black of the hood fade into the blue with bands of increasingly light shades of greys and blues.

#57 ·
All right, in that case I would definitely recommend that you check out this one; It's from GW themselves and it's the second part in painting Nagash.

It gives a good run-down on how he does the spirits surrounding him and you need very few paints to do so. Personally I think the turquoise feel is better when dealing with the spooky and the scary, so maybe it can give you some inspiration. If anything, you can replace the Nihilak Oxide with a blue glaze or the like, if you prefer the blue.

If you don't want to go for this, I would probably recommend a more dry brush when doing your drybrushing. It seems like the drybrushing is a bit smudgy, which means you have too much paint on your brush. You loose the effect that drybrushing produces, and leaves the model looking streaked.

I hope it helps!

#58 ·
Imperial Guard

Hey everyone, abit of a change of pace today.

As i said before i had been reading the commissar cain books and have gotten interested in 40k again, more specificly, the guard, so i dug out my old models and decided to give them a new lick of paint and see how far i could get. I do seem to love armies with lots of sub par troops :)

Anyway, the inspiration for the colour scheme came from this picture i saw in an old whitedwarf:

And here is my attempt and recreating it.

I wanted them to be kind of like Mordians, but a more practical version, actually wearing body armour etc, plus much cheaper to buy cadians. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
The Gunslinger

#60 ·
Hey everyone, just putting out a 'what im up to' update.

Im in the process of going through all my warhammer, and being critical with what i need and what i actually want and attempting to sell anything that dosnt make the cut.

Im abandoning the guard, to much work, and instead iv carefully selected some chaos marines and am stripping the paint with the intention of making a death guard army.
I realised whilst doing this i have way to many marines of all kinds, i selected 4 units of 7 plague marines and still have 50 odd marines left, its scary to think how much i must have spent on those.

Any way, paint stripping completed today so il start work on them soon. I also found all my old battlefleet gothic, which is cool. Im going to try and salvage a few ships and make a small chaos fleet to match my death guard. Having to drill out all the broken flying stands... yay.

So yea, thats whats happening so far, for anyone who is interested.

Cheers,
The Gunslinger

#61 ·
Sounds like a good project. I look forward to your chaos army developing.

And my hat is off to you. Cutting down your models and projects is one of the hardest things for any of us here; so many plans and "wouldn't it be cool . . ." aspirations get tied up in our models and our unstarted projects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.