The Gunslinger's Project Log - Page 8 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-25-15, 02:56 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
You've got some pretty thin and subtle grey highlights there, which I can imagine didn't show up too well on camera. Have you tried extreme highlighting with a celestra or fenrisian grey? that can have a really nice effect like you can see here:

http://666kb.com/i/bsbj2yjibm77cu448.jpg
This is a great piece of advice. Because your doing such a subtle highlight adding a thin line of a lighter grey can really make the it pop. An easy way to do this would be to take your brush and load it lightly with paint. then drag the tip over a paper towel once or twice lightly. (this will leave small amounts of pigment on the brush. then using a little more pressure you drag the highlight over the area you intend to do. leaving little pigment but enough to stand out. another option is to drybrush the entire model and then go back over it with black leaving only the areas that you want highlighted.

Another recommendation would be to thin down your paints a bit. the layers seem a bit thick (possibly because they are second hand minis or still had a coat of paint on them? if this is the case i HIGHLY recommend stripping them and repriming them beforehand). Thinner paint is easier to control with your brush and doesn't wash out any of the details.

This is a labor of love for all (most) of us so it takes time. Passion is definitely something that you have and thats a great basis for skill improvement. Keep up the good work

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-25-15, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
To The Dark Tower Came

The Gunslinger's Flag is: United Kingdom

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it.

Yea im just doing singular mini's now just trying to practice highlighting and washes because they are definitely my weak points at the minute.

That particular marine did all ready have a coat of paint on him, but anything i do, properly, i do strip first so they look as good as they can.
But especially with the black i was using, it was a very old pot of paint, so it had gotten pretty thick, so i might have to go buy some new ones soon.

I am stripping the painted parts of my russ/vindi combination tonight so i can get that finished soon, lots to do

Check out my Project Log: Forbidden Colours!
post #73 of 122 (permalink) Old 04-25-15, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
To The Dark Tower Came

Hey guys, got a plague marine to show off today, its not a very complicated scheme, just lots of washes and dry brushes.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

post #74 of 122 (permalink) Old 05-04-15, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
To The Dark Tower Came

A quick group shot of the first squad of plague marines, minus the champion, made a mistake on him so he is going back for paint stripping with the practice guys, woops.

As you can see i have tried to make them look really chaotic with a mix of plague marines, regular marines with zombie heads or warriors of chaos heads. I have also brought in some possessed and dark vengence models for champions etc in the other squads and used berserker and possessed backpacks on some models, just to make them all look abit different.

Cheers

post #75 of 122 (permalink) Old 08-02-15, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
To The Dark Tower Came

Default Imperial Guard

The first unit i have painted up for my Imperial Guard force for the army painting challenge.
I'm using Steel Legion models for my army, painted with a dark blue overcoat with leather gloves and boots etc. I have tried to paint wooden gun stocks etc, but it hasnt come out very well so i may have to re do that one day.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

post #76 of 122 (permalink) Old 09-03-15, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
To The Dark Tower Came

Default Imperial Guard

Just an update linking in with the army painting challenge.

Finished another squad of infantry, this time with a plasma gunner and a rocket launcher.

Made some changes to the sergeant, for some reason who ever I got them from decided to chop his head off, so I cleaned it up and used a head from the catachan command sprue, his chainsword was also broken so I replaced that with a cadian one.

And now I am working on a pair of sentinels, one of them is old and is going to be taken apart and re-painted. The second one is new and still in pieces. They are both going to be armoured and equipped with lascannons for tank hunting.

Cheers,
The Gunslinger

post #77 of 122 (permalink) Old 09-04-15, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
To The Dark Tower Came

Default Imperial Guard

So I have finished my armoured sentinels:

I'm really happy with how they turned out. If you look closely you can see that it is a kind of mottled blue armour plating, with a couple of layers of drybrushes and washes.

As I said before, I have made them both armoured and closed top, I had to do a bit of cutting and sticking to get the roof to fit on the second one, as I wanted to use the different armour plating on each.

And they are both armed with lascannons. I would probably deploy them together and let them do some tank hunting.

Overall I think they match the rugged, abused look that I am going for with my guard, with them having been fighting a few year long war over the planetary capital and in all honesty, they are losing.

post #78 of 122 (permalink) Old 09-04-15, 01:37 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Loving the badass steel legion dudes you have going there, they look great!
So with two vet squads and two sentinels, will you next turn your attention to a command squad or something suitably dirty fighting style like a wyvern or battle psyker?

Your plague marine looks really good too, a bit like he's been percolating in something really nasty that's crusted over him for a long time.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #79 of 122 (permalink) Old 09-04-15, 01:48 PM

DelvarusThePitFighter's Flag is: United Kingdom

You should stop smoking its bad for you.
post #80 of 122 (permalink) Old 09-04-15, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
To The Dark Tower Came

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
Loving the badass steel legion dudes you have going there, they look great!
So with two vet squads and two sentinels, will you next turn your attention to a command squad or something suitably dirty fighting style like a wyvern or battle psyker?

Your plague marine looks really good too, a bit like he's been percolating in something really nasty that's crusted over him for a long time.
Thanks mate, appreciate it. For the time being I am trying to work through the stuff I have before buying anything new and exciting, so I have a command squad in the works. I am trying to convert a cadian vox caster to look more steel legion and making an autocannon team with a wheeled gun mounting etc. After that I may make another three autocannon teams the same way to give me some decent fire support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelvarusThePitFighter View Post
You should stop smoking its bad for you.
Smoking?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode