Kuriojichan's Tyranid Swarm WIP - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-09-12, 06:41 PM
Pride365's Flag is: USA

Wow those look amazing!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-09-12, 08:48 PM

Shas's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuriojichan View Post
Just for comparison, the two models side by side. Next up, 5 Termagants.

Cant help thinking the gun could be the same blue as on the rear model... could be a nice ident for the entire army, bits of the blue.
post #43 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-09-12, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

kuriojichan's Flag is: Great Britain

As a colour scheme... yes I understand what you mean. However, the 'gun' is a separate organism whilst the bits that have been painted blue on the 'thrope are parts of the creature. I plan on using the green scheme on all similar 'guns' in the swarm so maybe with a few more models painted the scheme will start to be more apparent.

"many people, especially girls, will actually flee screaming when they see them" -- skylifter

WIP Tyranid army (750pt)

My painting blog : Better lead than dead

post #44 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-10-12, 01:15 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Looking aces man!

My main critique would be that the tentacles look really light and unfinished compared to the rest of the model, but you've already noted that its washout from the flash.

Keep up the good work!

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #45 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-10-12, 02:21 AM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

I just ran through your log mate, and I must say that the initial pictures left me skeptical of how the overall scheme would turn out. I am however blown away at the difference in the initial pictures and the end result on the carapace. It is stunning. I will however have to agree with some of the folks that expressed reservations about the green. I just done feel that it flows with the rest of the model as well as the light cream color and blue on the Venomthrope. All in all though I think that a whole army painted in this scheme would look great. Well done man.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #46 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-10-12, 02:25 AM

pchandler43's Flag is: USA

You should paint a model up to look like a Portuguese Man of War since you're going with the weird sea animal theme. I think it would go nicely with the blues and browns that you have worked in already. Great looking minis you have!

"From the darkness we strike: fast and lethal, and by the time our foes can react... darkness there and nothing more."
Raven Guard saying

post #47 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-10-12, 02:29 AM
Pride365's Flag is: USA

Quote:
As a colour scheme... yes I understand what you mean. However, the 'gun' is a separate organism whilst the bits that have been painted blue on the 'thrope are parts of the creature. I plan on using the green scheme on all similar 'guns' in the swarm so maybe with a few more models painted the scheme will start to be more apparent.
I love your work but I have to agree about the green throwing off the color scheme I think the blue is a much better choice as well. I know it is a "separate" organism but none of the Nids would go anywhere with out their guns it is as much apart of them as the tentacles are apart of the Venomethrope. You said you wished you had gotten the blue in the intial paint scheme and I think the gun is the way to go. When you look at the pics you used for inspiration it almost looks like 2 separate crabs you wouldn't expect the blue from them when you first look at them and I think you can do that with your guns.

post #48 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-10-12, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

kuriojichan's Flag is: Great Britain

Ok. Lots of similar viewpoints regarding the green of the gun. After sleeping on it I agree that the coherence of the overall scheme is more important and the blue is truer to my original inspiration (the green was an attempt to bring in an aquatic feel).

Considering that the gun is now painted and has a single coat of 'ardcoat what would be the best approach to repainting just that element of the model? will primer over the ardcoat work?

Regarding the 'thrope. At the end of the tentacles you can see a mustard yellow shading around the small pimples. The tentacles have this colour beneath them and it shows through more strongly underneath as the layers of yellowy white are very thin and there more layers towards the top of the tentacles. In strong light this isn't at all apparent, maybe some shading needs to be applied to make it more obvious. Perhaps a light yellow glaze along the entire length of the tentacles.

"many people, especially girls, will actually flee screaming when they see them" -- skylifter

WIP Tyranid army (750pt)

My painting blog : Better lead than dead
post #49 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-10-12, 09:20 AM

Shas's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Considering that the gun is now painted and has a single coat of 'ardcoat what would be the best approach to repainting just that element of the model? will primer over the ardcoat work?
I've primer'd right over a full metal mini and then painted it with no visible loss of detail (though i wouldn't do it twice). I reckon the detail on the gun is deep enough to survive it.
post #50 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-10-12, 09:29 AM

Disciple_of_Ezekiel's Flag is: USA

Nicely done!

That Venoms carapace looks wonderful, I really like the specs as it adds character to the model. The Green on the hive guard does look a little out of place. I have never painted Nids so I can't really give you advice on what might make it look more coherent?

Keep up the good work tho!

Regards,
DoE

"To retreat is defeat. Advance! Advance! In our Death lies Victory."
Captain Denos, 19th Company,468th regiment of the
Death Korps of Krieg

The K.R.I.E.G. Project (My Death Korps of Krieg Plog)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode