[Vampire Counts] Ghoulkin Army - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-16-12, 09:14 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

The photos are looking excellent! And the ghoul with the bone is looking really good. Unfortunately, the more I look at these guys the more i think David's critique is accurate. With action oriented poses static drips of gore make less sense. But the gore in and of itself looks awesome!

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-17-12, 06:02 AM

Scythes's Flag is: USA

These are looking better and better, I wasn't sure at the beginning, they looked a bit flat, but with the shading redone they look good. Keep up the good work.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-17-12, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

elmir's Flag is: Belgium

Quote:
Unfortunately, the more I look at these guys the more i think David's critique is accurate. With action oriented poses static drips of gore make less sense
I've taken out the clippers and reduced the bloodstreaks on the crypt haunter.

There is still some drops there, but they aren't connecting to the ground anymore. Seeing how I added bodyparts on the base, it makes a little more sense now... (hopefully). I'll try to get some pictures of the update soon, but there are still parts drying atm.

Quote:
These are looking better and better, I wasn't sure at the beginning, they looked a bit flat, but with the shading redone they look good.
Thanks. The benefit of airbrushing highlights is pretty smooth blends BUT you do lose some shading sometimes because an airbrush is a "blunt instrument" compared to a traditional brush and will get paint in the resseces.

The miniatures in general look a bit darker again. Mind you, the lighting is more diffuse in those shots, so that makes it less flat then the hard light hitting the models in the first shots. Photography is more about lighting then anything else anyway!

post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-17-12, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Update on the crypthaunter:

I cut down the blooddrips to the base to mesh in better with it's more dynamic pose:

And the unit as it stands right now, getting nearer to completion every day

Cu next time.
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-17-12, 08:06 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Those guys look excellent Elmir. The blood effect is very realistic. Is that a grave stone in the guy on the right's hand?
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-17-12, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Yes it is. It's not a fancy conversion either... It's sculpted on like that in the basic kit.

In fact, I'm already starting to dread having to convert the remaining 15 of these guys (if I chose to run a horde of these) to make them all look different.

The kit is brilliant, but the poses are very one-sided affairs with almost no extra arms in them. I guess that's the downside of these dual kits in warhammer though. Resposing them will require quite a lot of dremel and resculpting work I'm afraid....
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-18-12, 05:57 AM

Scythes's Flag is: USA

The blood is still a little static wit his dynamic pose but nearly like it was before. I think just cutting a bit off makes it look a lot better. Also with the blood stretched all the way to the base it had a bit of a goopy look to it, this much more natural. Good work on those.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-22-12, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Small update: I decided to add a bit more highlights to the ghoulskin to make the models stand out a bit more compared to the bases and the scenery that will be on the board.

I've seen a few armies on parades today in our local shop and noticed that you really do have to do something to make them "come out of the terrain" whilst still blending in to the board somehow. Anyway, this should make more sense after I've done the first pieces of terrain for this. I purchased the garden of Morr yesterday and will start to paint a few of the pieces of that set before buying more infantry for the army.

Meanwhile, here's a shot of how the ghouls now look after some highlights on the skin:

Untill next update.
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-22-12, 02:22 PM

Will be watching this one.

Very good so far.
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-22-12, 02:48 PM

Farseer Darvaleth's Flag is: Great Britain

I do like this, I myself am a VC player so the blood's all good for me.

Also, shameless advertising plug, if you're after VC-specific painting and modelling advice, especially for all that conversion you're dreading, why not head over to Carpe Noctem? It's a VC-dedicated forum which also covers the rest of Fantasy and 40k, the link's in my sig; just something you might want to think about.

Give a man a match, and he's warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life!

Cato Marquand

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode