Knights Sanguine (Pictures are included) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-12, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Default Knights Sanguine (Pictures are included)

Hi folks,

This is my first post so I'll briefly describe myself. I painted warhammer 40k as a child, my parents hated it because I was constantly spilling paint and making a mess. I wasn't very good at it but recently took it up again through university. I have made loads of mistakes and have already wasted virtually a whole battleforce box of Blood Angels after getting bored of plain Blood Angels but am making headway with this new army.

I've wanted to start my own BA chapter for quite a while and wanted to stick with the white Sanguinary Guard option that the Angels Encarmine use. I decided on the Knights Sanguine (link below) because every other chapter name didn't really appeal to me although I haven't yet checked the codex to see if it's in there...
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Knig...e#.T4GPOfs9WQk

My paint scheme is as below. I don't know where I am going to source a symbol but was thinking of cannibalising the Blood angels blood drop with maybe a shield or something?

I also wanted to have a more hand-to-hand army so my tactical squad are going to have a combination of boltguns and bolt pistols with chainswords. I like my veterans in 40k, they always look cool so I opted for Sternguard vets (tends to be my theme) with a 5 man squad of Sternguard apprentices? This army is more completely for myself and could work as a playable army (excluding certain models) based on 4th edition rules, although are gonna be very points heavy.

I currently have :
5 dev's (1 sarge w/ bolt pistol + powerfist, 2 heavy bolters, 1 m-melta and 1 lascannon)
Box of finecast Sternguard Vets
5 Sternguard apprentices
8 Death company (with illegal sergeant holding 2 power swords)
8 Sanguinary guard models (including 1 illegal champion with spear, melta and boltgun)
Master of the Arsenal AND Master of the Recruits
random assortment of tactical troops although base paint is a bit thick.
I also have a land raider, DC rhino and razorback.

So firstly my Sternguard apprentices squad!

The sergeant with powerfist. The second model is designed to look like he's reading off the scanner and his chainsword is stuck in the sand (there will be sand!).

Troops.

My assault squad are quite heavy on weapons.

Assault squad Sergeant... (Now that I look at him, he's a bit like Dante...)

Death company "Sergeant Tustian"

My sanguinary guard are probably the emphasis of my chapter. The novitiates are marines who have excelled to this point but not made the guard. I have 3 novitiates atm with power swords and helmets with jump-packs rather than wings and single jump-packs.

Novitiate 1

Novitiate 2

Novitiate 3

Guards will have the full wings and jump packs.

Champion will also have wings and jump packs.

One issue I have had so far is the recycling of some models, and using grey primer on new models, has led to quite a thick basecoat so some of the models will probably come out a bit thick(!). As you can see, I've already started painting the sanguinary guard but they are incredibly tedious to paint. I wanted to do white for the whole army although it is quite a tedious process. I have also started painting my Death Company in Scab red (really nice deep colour) with black crosses (instead of black with red crosses).
I would like to create an honour guard alongside a chapter master although I am stumped as to the paint scheme. Maybe white and Scab red?

Comments and feedback are most welcome. Thanks for looking!
Regards, Giles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-12, 08:36 PM

Lethiathan's Flag is: United Kingdom

If your painting white i recommend painting a layer of Ceramite white, a badab black wash then scar white or ceramite back over recesses. It makes a beautiful popping white.

World's Worst Project-Logger.

Slightly Derranged, would advice staying away.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-12, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Lethiathan, is that in the new Citadel range? I have been told about the new white foundation paint and, I'll be honest, I've spent a long time researching and experimenting with my current white scheme so am going to continue layering through greys for the meantime.

Do you have any first hand experience with the new paints or a thread/image of the new whites?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-12, 09:13 PM

RedThirstWill Destroy's Flag is: England

You might find the symbols your after on another forum hammer and bolter, I'd look for you myself but I'm on my iPhone, sorry if breached any rules advertising another forum, hope the paint scheme works out for you white can be a bitch but heh do can red lol

Oh nice work too and welcome
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-12, 09:57 PM

Lethiathan's Flag is: United Kingdom

my Plog shows my white technique, and yes i have used the new citadel foundation, and old one, and it is seriously cool, old one covers nothing, i water my foudation down for a nice coverage and boom it covers everything at a nice consistancy. It owns!

World's Worst Project-Logger.

Slightly Derranged, would advice staying away.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-12, 10:39 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

As Lethiathan says (gee I wonder where he got his technique from) a easy (ier) way of getting a good white is, using the new whites, start off with watered down Ceramite White, badab black the recesses (or black line after you are done or both) then go back over with scar (skull) white watered down.

I do it similar to you, starting with grey and trying to leave it in the recesses. However I also badab black the recesses and then finally black line them as well to make it nice and even. I use the now old skull white and do somewhere between 5-6 even washed down layers of it. It takes a while but it gets there in the end.

With those SG you are going to have your work cut out for you. Looking forward to seeing how you fair at it.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-12, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks RedThirst, I'll check it out.

Jacobite, this was the furthest I got with the first one, forgot to include it in the photo's. I haven't started the white on the other guards yet so maybe I will consider a switch in method although my line highlighting skills are poor.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-12, 11:54 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Looks pretty good there Shift, nice and even coverage. Have you tried black lining it? It will really crisp up the white, along with the nice nice shadow you have going on in the cracks of course. White is tricky mate!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-12, 12:08 AM

Tanrel's Flag is: USA

Wow, these are some awesome looking models, can't wait to see them all built and painted up.

USMC, Oorah!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-12, 12:52 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

The Sanguinary Guard Champion is very cool-- I don't know why I never thought of using some of the bits from the High Elf range with Space Marines to create artificer armor before. Yours has come out quite well!

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode