Saulot's Bretonnians - The Muster of Quenelles - Page 7 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-11-13, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Saulot's Flag is: Philipines

Thanks jaysen for the comment!

One KotR still WIP. I'm trying to figure out which colour to use on some of the parts (over-thinking things as the case may be LOL). Basically trying to decide how to paint their lances. I know I want a mix of solid blue and white pennants, but I'm not sure how to paint the lance themselves. I want to use green as this is my third colour. Also considering black, metal, or wood (same as halbreds in my peasants). I also know I want to try a striped blue and white for my Grail Knights (so not an option for my KotR).

Here's an army shot of the minis I painted so far, maybe you guys can chime in with your suggestion?

Cheers!

Last edited by Saulot; 03-11-13 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-11-13, 05:34 PM

KjellThorngaard's Flag is: USA

Location: In the basement, surrounded by Woodland Scenics packages.

My vote is for green. Lances weren't metal, except for the tip, so that sort rules a metal color out. Black doesn't seem to fit the theme of your army. Black is such a dull, non-color an your army is so bright that IMO black would detract form the excellant work you have done so far. Same with wood. These are pretty boy knights, they are going to pretty up their lances and not leave bare wood!

Go with green!

Nice army shot, BTW, they are coming along nicely.

post #63 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, KT! hahahaha pretty boy knights! :D

I finished my "test" mini KotR last night. I tried a light brown colour for the lance, similar to my Men-at-Arms' halberds. It looks fine, but lacks a certain oomph to it.

Green lances made the mini too colourful for me. And this will be especially true once they're all ranked up in a unit.

I'm going back and forth with white now. At first I didn't consider it since I wanted alternating solid blue and white pennants for the knights. White pennant on white lance seemed a little bland.

I'll work on in some more later.

Last edited by Saulot; 03-12-13 at 06:58 AM.

post #64 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-13, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Here's my first KotR. Any thoughts on the lance? I really want to have a mixed bag of blue and white pennants. Should I keep the "wooden" lance? Paint it white? Or green?

Cheers everyone!

Last edited by Saulot; 03-12-13 at 03:40 PM.
post #65 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 05:01 PM

alasdair's Flag is: United Kingdom

I personally like the wooden lance. Keep it up!
post #66 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 05:15 PM

kickboxerdog's Flag is: England

the wooden lances looks really good but feel if u painted it the same green as the rains that would look pretty cool and tie it together nicely , from films i remember the lances always being painted
post #67 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-06-13, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks alasdair for the kind comments! As you will see, I've kept the wooden lances!

kickboxerdog, I took a piece of your suggestion and painted the middle part of the lance green. It's a small area but as you pointed out, it would be good to have some green on the lance to tie everything up. I think it works better than what I had before, so thanks!

Here's the first 4 knights for my KotR:

The Knights of the Glade, the High Royal Knights of Quenelles:

The Knights of the Glade with Sir Luc, Paladin and Guardian of the White Woods and Lady Celeste, Prophetess and Healer of the Realm (Mini Bus!! LOL):

I still need to do their shields and unicorn decal on the big brown areas of the horses' caparison. Plus I missed one amber rock on one of the Warhorses.

I was happy that I was able to rank these guys up! I'm sure the rest of you who have tried know how fiddly this is! Also generally happy with how the colour scheme translated to the Knights.

That's it for now. Cheers everyone!
post #68 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-06-13, 10:49 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

really like what you are doing here, the palate is working great. Are you planning on painting anything on the brown shields on the barding of the horses?
post #69 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-06-13, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
really like what you are doing here, the palate is working great. Are you planning on painting anything on the brown shields on the barding of the horses?
Thanks man!

Yup, I plan on putting decals on the brown shields. I might go with 2 or 3 fleur-de-lys on the front, and unicorn on the back.
post #70 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-06-13, 06:58 PM

These look great. Clearly you have a very steady hand!

Great perseverance on the infantry block too. It's easy to rush it when there are so many, but you seem to have kept your cool and done a neat a really striking job.

The army as a whole looks amazing together. I like the use of only a few simple colours. In my opinion, using a select few colours and simple techniques you can get a great looking army.

Good job and keep it up!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode