Iron Warriors 9th Grand Company - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Wolf Fang's Flag is: Belgium

Default Iron Warriors 9th Grand Company

As my thread in the modelling and painting section was primarily for my Warsmith and it has turned into an army log I thought I'd make a new thread here.

Anyway, on to pictures.
Warsmith:

Warsmith bodyguard:

And the unit's Aspiring Champion WIP:

C&C would be very much appreciated.

Cheers, Wolf Fang

I see lead people!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not head over to Carpe Noctem Forum...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 11:12 PM
Angel Sanguine

Tossidin's Flag is: Norway

I am usually not a fan of iron warriors, but you have done something so well that I can't help but like yours! Exceptional paintjob, well done

Carry The Emperors Will as your torch!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 11:20 PM

Howzaa's Flag is: England

Liking them, always a fan of the main chaos legions wish mine looked so good can never get the yellow stripes quite right. Really like the Techmarine the power weapon especially looks pretty awesome.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I tried to make them a bit darker than the GW ones (the bright gold rims) while trying to steer away from the boltgun drybrush over black basecoat ones that generally make up most of the IW armies. I'm happy with them so far but I'm just hoping I get them finished in time for a tournament a coupl of months from now.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 05:15 AM

KjellThorngaard's Flag is: USA

Location: In the basement, surrounded by Woodland Scenics packages.

Those are some really nice models. You would know they are IWs without reading your title. That Warsmith is fantastic. Good job!

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 05:23 PM

Dies Irae's Flag is: France

Location: In space, targeting you with plasma cannons. (Actually I am from France)

First of all, good job on these IW, they look great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fang View Post
Thanks. I tried to make them a bit darker than the GW ones (the bright gold rims) while trying to steer away from the boltgun drybrush over black basecoat ones that generally make up most of the IW armies.
May I ask how you painted them? Boltgun over black basecoat is the technique I am currently using and I would like to improve that

Check out my army: Iron Warriors 44th company

Sanity is for the weak
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 05:40 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Lovely work. I can definitely see the skill here even when I'm not crazy about your choices.

I think your blending is really well done. And your attention to detail is excellent.

I think the damage in the hazard stripes looks funny, and extra busy. I think your armor silver is too bright, but it's possible that's from the flash. Or at least the highlight towards the armor edges seems too bright.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 06:07 PM

elmir's Flag is: Belgium

What tournament will you be participating in with these models?

They look great btw... The hazard stripes are well excecuted...
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dies Irae View Post
May I ask how you painted them?
Of course you can. The metal's been basecoated with Boltgun and then washed with devlan mud followed up with a Leviathan Purple wash. Be careful with the purple as it gets overwhelming quite quickly. What I tend to do is dip my brush in the wash and then touch the tip against a paper towel. This sucks out most of the paint and prevents the purple from pooling in the recesses as it normally would when applied as a heavy wash (I'm not sure I'm getting this across properly. If not, feel free to ask again.). The purple is there purely because of the yellow hazard stripes and because it adds some subtle colour to an otherwise very monotonous army. Yellow and purple are across of eachother on the colour wheel so they tend to go rather well together. Just don't overdo it.
After the wash is dry, just highlight again using Boltgun, followed by Chainmail and Mithril. If you want to do this a bit faster, just highlight with Chainmail and you should be okay.
The brown metal is just basecoat Tin Bitz, wash with purple then highlight with a Tin Bitz/Mithril mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Lovely work. I can definitely see the skill here even when I'm not crazy about your choices.

I think your blending is really well done. And your attention to detail is excellent.

I think the damage in the hazard stripes looks funny, and extra busy. I think your armor silver is too bright, but it's possible that's from the flash. Or at least the highlight towards the armor edges seems too bright.
I'd love to blame my crappy photography skills for the armours brightness and in part it is indeed the flash's fault. But as I highlighted up to mithril I suspect they'd still be too bright IRL. I have to say that I don't mind the brightness as it helps make the look dirtier because of the washes in the recesses.
As far as the hazard stripes go I think you're right. I was already going to paint the beaks on the helmets in bare metal again as the stripes don't really work on there, but I probably went a bit overboard with the stripes altogether on the last three. The scratches will remain there, but I will be using a different method on the next ones (the sponge method).

In any case thanks for the feedback. I'll be working on the next ones in the next couple of weeks but in the meantime here's something I'm working on in between for fun. :D

Cheers, Wolf Fang

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking of entering Conflict (although that's a bit of an unrealistic goal and I'll probably end up having to use the marine army from my local store) and will be entering the Grand Belgian Open (the tournament that got me into 40k in the first place after realising fantasy takes to long to be played at tournaments). Any chance I'll see your rats or Grey KNights there?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode