The Pyre - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Default The Pyre

I've taken a long hiatus from 40k, and spent all my gaming time playing Fantasy. But I've had an odd itch to play some 40k lately, and while working on a friend's Night Lords army, I realized I hadn't touched my own beloved Chaos Space Marines more or less since the current Codex came out. And with rumors on the horizon of a new Codex more like the previous one, I've decided to give in and build a new Chaos Space Marine army. It didn't help that the store had a couple of those $50 Rhino and Squad boxes calling out to me... it was sort of a hard deal to pass up.

I actually had begun The Pyre as a painting project about four years ago in an effort to learn how to do light sourcing and blending across large surfaces. I painted a couple squads and a tank or two, but I never really got the whole army together and on the table. I'm hoping that starting a project log will help remind me to paint a Pyre Marine every couple days or so, and actually get these guys on the table where they can start some fires!

I'm working towards a non-competitive 1850-point army list, themed around bringing as many flamers as humanly possible while maintaining a tactically functional army.

HQ/
Chaos Lord
-Dual Lightning Claws, Combi-Flamer, Mark of Tzeentch (I want the 4+ Invul as a game effect, but view him as Undivided in terms of actual allegiance.)

HQ/
Chaos Sorcerer
-Force Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Wind of Chaos

Elite/
10 Chosen
-4 Flamers. Aspiring Champion with a power fist. Icon of Chaos Glory
-Rhino APC with extra armor.

Troops/
9 Chaos Space Marines
-Flamer. Aspiring Champion with a power fist and combi-flamer. Icon of Chaos Glory

Troops/
9 Chaos Space Marines
-Flamer. Aspiring Champion with a power fist and combi-flamer. Icon of Chaos Glory

Troops/
10 Chaos Space Marines
-2 Flamers. Aspiring Champion with a power fist and combi-flamer. Icon of Chaos Glory
-Rhino APC with extra armor, additional combi-flamer.

Fast Attack/
Chaos Spawn
(Yes, I know they suck. I want to make a big silly fire daemon thing to go with the army though, and this is the cheapest way to do it points-wise. It's also good to just babysit the Havocs for a little extra close combat kick if someone manages to engage them.)

Heavy Support/
10 Havocs
-4 Missile Launchers. Aspiring Champion with a bolter. Icon of Chaos Glory

Heavy Support/
Predator
-Twin-linked Lascannon, Lascannon Sponsons

So, to get things started, here's a little teaser.

and a Terminator that I did for a painting competition a few years ago:

I'm going to probably do dark bases on these guys to help the orange glowy effect "pop" a bit... so of the models that I did before, I'll have to rebase them. But that's not a big deal.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 06:31 PM

Josh101's Flag is: England

wow, i really like that rhino

post #3 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 07:06 PM

Lethiathan's Flag is: United Kingdom

"I am the god of hellfire, and I bring you fire!" - Jeremy Clarkson
Seems apt.
I like the idea for the list and where the hell have you found the boxset of marines + rhino? I want the guard equivalent =-(

Love the list, and great models

Lethiathan

World's Worst Project-Logger.

Slightly Derranged, would advice staying away.

post #4 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethiathan View Post
"I am the god of hellfire, and I bring you fire!" - Jeremy Clarkson
Seems apt.
I like the idea for the list and where the hell have you found the boxset of marines + rhino? I want the guard equivalent =-(

Love the list, and great models

Lethiathan
The local FLGS happened to have a couple still. They were a splash release for the 25th anniversary, I think.

post #5 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 07:09 PM

I knew they exsisted from MWG but I never saw them on GW, Maybe a US only release!

anyway just a small tip. make a made up squad, like a special named squad, make them termies. 5 HF. You get me bro?

post #6 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

Totally. I actually do have a game-legal Terminator squad... I just didn't really find a good home for them in the army list. I have 10 with two heavy flamers and 8 combi-flamers. The pictured terminator above is the Aspiring Champion.

post #7 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 09:29 PM

I wish that was legal in SM!

post #8 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 09:43 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Looking good man!!! I will be following this project with interest.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #9 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 02:59 AM

Minizke1's Flag is: USA

Yes another Horus log!! :D

Win/loss record for The Fists of Vengeance- 20 - 1 - 8.
Hive Fleet Kraken- 7 - 2
The Unnamed Clan- 0 - 0 - 0
post #10 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

So I've finished the first of the "new" Pyre Marines. I say "new" mostly because I had like twenty Chaos Space Marines that I had intended to be a part of the army sitting primed in a box, and I haven't looked at them in about two years.

I couldn't quite remember the progression I used on the armor, so the tone is slightly different on this model than previous ones I've painted. But I think that's ok-- fire is never uniform throughout, so a little variation here and there in the oranges in a unit should actually help accentuate that sort of glowing orange effect I want. I did make an active decision not to have a glowing effect on the base from the Marine, even though I want a somewhat "glowing" feel from the oranges on the armor-- I thought about it, and decided that the model sort of washed into the base too much like that. I want the model to be distinct from the base-- it should accent the model, but not necessarily be a seamless part of the greater whole. In other words, OSL effects from the Marine on the base make it difficult for the eye to determine where the Chaos Space Marine ends and the base begins, I thought.

One of the reasons I'd originally started The Pyre a couple years back was to hone my skills at object source lighting and blending over large surfaces (as opposed to blending edge highlights.) While I'm quite capable at both those techniques now, it occurred to me that there's no reason not to continue the original point of the project and practice an area of the hobby I'm not as confident in. With that in mind, I decided to try a much more "modern" basing style. I've clung to the classic "sand, paint, highlight, patches of static grass" basing style for years, and while it's always a good look regardless of the model in question, and usually fits in with any table pretty seamlessly, it often lacks a dynamic feel to it. So I'm going to try my hand at more complex basing, which is something which for whatever reason, I've neglected in the past.

It's a bit hard to see in the picture, but the results of my first attempt at barbed wire on a small scale are on that base. I used this tutorial to do it, although I used 20-gauge wire instead of the recommended 34-gauge, since 20 was the finest I could find. I think it works, though. http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?...icle&artid=107

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
chaos , chaos space marines , fire , flame , pyre , traitor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode