The Pyre - Page 12 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Having spent some serious time looking through the CSM codex since last outage, I find myself converted to the creed of the flamerspam. Combi-flamers; Havocs and/or Chosen loaded up with flamers and meltas; Noise Champions and Lucius with Doom Sirens; Warpsmith with BBoS; etc. Then tank shock enemies (with destroyer blades and dirge casters on my Rhinos) into tight bunches and torch the grouped enemies, and perhaps include Slaaneshi daemons with Pavane... the ideas running through my brain give me no rest. I think I could go on in this vein for some time.

In short, though, I love what you're doing here even more.

Re: latest pics, I'd have to say the symbol on the cloak on the DV lord looks a little patchy. Other than that, good stuff.
6th Edition has been extremely kind to flamers! The Pyre began life as a modelling project and sort of a joke to see how many flame templates I could pack into one army, and it's become something (even before the new Codex) something that was extremely capable on the tabletop.

While it's definitely all well and good to bunch your enemies up and set them on fire (especially with the -wonderful- Burning Brand) I've found that flamers are the pinnacle of defensive weapons. You can do a surprising amount of damage on overwatch with a pair of flamers and a combi-flamer plus seven rapid-firing bolters, and follow that up with two attacks a model from your Chaos Space Marine troopers (you bought extra close combat weapons, right? Right.) it's been my experience that short of something like a Terminator squad, any unit that closes to within a foot of one of my Pyre squads is in a -lot- of trouble.

I've also found corralling my opponent using Rhinos, terrain, and my own units and then deep striking terminators almost on top of them has extremely effective results-- my unit of Terminators has killed a 15-man death company unit in one shooting phase-- it's amazing what happens when you hit them with six combi-flamers (as opposed to eight, as not all will be able to connect from the deep strike formation, but you can set it up so you get six) and two heavy flamers on a tightly-packed unit...

I've just been laughing maniacally since the new Codex came out, though. My Lord has reaped a bloody toll with the Burning Brand... people still aren't quite used to having to spread out at close range because flamers weren't popular for basically three editions, so I've gotten a disproportionately high number of hits... my lord has killed nine of ten Space Marines in one fell swoop with the Brand, and then jumped in and murdered the Sergeant in close combat.

Fun fact regarding Chaos Artifacts-- Grenades are weapons (BRB weapons section). I'll leave you to think about that one...

So here's the complete 1850-point army (although now that I look at the pictures, I forgot to put one Rhino on the display board-- there are three). The spawn is on the board just because... it's not actually in the list, it's just handy for the unfortunate number of times my Lord has rolled Spawndom on the Chaos Boon table...

I do have another 1x2' section for the display board that's a crater-strewn, flame, bathed battlefield for when I want to enter the army in Armies on Parade, and spread the squads out a bit. But for general use, the building section does what I need it to do in terms of being a good tournament tray and display board. Not the greatest pictures-- it's hard to get a focused picture of something as big as this using an iphone, but you get the idea!

The Rhinos get parked in the back of the building for ease of transport around the game room-- also, nobody cares about the rhinos particularly when checking out the army as a whole...haha... with the full 2x2 board, they're out dropping off squads in the blasted battlezone section of the board (no pictures of that yet, since it's not finished) though. You can see them through the windows in some of the pictures though!

As for some other stuff I've been working on that doesn't make it into the 1850-point list--
I really liked the new Aspiring Champion model, so I picked one up.

And you pretty much have to have a Daemon Prince handy these days for the 8% chance you have of a champion becoming a Daemon Prince over the course of the game from the Dark Apotheosis result on the Chaos Boon table. So, I have an awesome model for when that happens now.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 03:13 PM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

Stunning display board and even more stunning army! You have done a great job!

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #113 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 04:54 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Fun fact regarding Chaos Artifacts-- Grenades are weapons (BRB weapons section). I'll leave you to think about that one...
I just...

I think I just...

I need to go change my pants.

But seriously, I'd been lamenting the loss of my bonus attack when I had the BBoS (saying "hell, at least there's no reason not to pick up a Lightning Claw now,") but you've just solved my dilemma neatly.

My FLGS is actually quite competitive, so most players have been spread out even last edition, but...

Nice models! The display looks great!

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

post #114 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
I just...

I think I just...

I need to go change my pants.

But seriously, I'd been lamenting the loss of my bonus attack when I had the BBoS (saying "hell, at least there's no reason not to pick up a Lightning Claw now,") but you've just solved my dilemma neatly.

My FLGS is actually quite competitive, so most players have been spread out even last edition, but...

Nice models! The display looks great!
Obviously, they don't intend you to be able to trade in krak grenades for an artifact, so I'm just waiting for that to get FAQ'd-- it's pretty common sense that they mean you trade in your bolt pistol or close combat weapon. That being said, in the meantime, I've happily been running my lord with a pair of lightning claws and the burning brand, as the model was already ready to go before the Codex came out (last book, I ran a combi flamer and a pair of lightning claws). The BRB pretty clearly lists grenades as a weapon, and it specifically says for the artifacts "trade a weapon for..." not "trade a melee weapon for" or "trade a ranged weapon for..." ...just "a weapon." I was actually really surprised that didnt make the first run of the FAQ, because it was pretty glaring to me.

post #115 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-30-12, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

Now that I have a fully-painted 2000 point army of The Pyre, it's time to set my sights on expanding the army to play Apocalypse with.

I'm planning on adding the following 1250 or so points (sources in parentheses). All have flamer-y goodness in some excessive level that isn't available to a Chaos Space Marine army outside of Apocalypse. Admittedly, most of this comes from the Horus Heresy book, which contains units which can contain a ton of special weapons-- and given the propensity for flamers that the army has...well, yeah.

-Land Raider Redeemer with additional multi-melta (Codex: Space Marines)
-Legion Tactical Support Squad, 10-strong, armed with flamers. (Horus Heresy vol 1: Betrayal)
-Legion Heavy Support Squad, 10-strong, armed with heavy flamers (Horus Heresy vol 1: Betrayal)
-Legion Predator Squadron, 3-strong. Flamestorm Cannon turrets, Heavy Flamer sponsons, Pintle-mounted Combi-Melta. (Horus Heresy vol. 1: Betrayal).

I have begun work on the flamer-armed squads-- check back soon to see them! I'm planning on giving them special squad markings to denote them as being part of the Apocalypse army and a special, elite unit among The Pyre.

Last edited by The Son of Horus; 10-30-12 at 07:00 AM.
post #116 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-13-12, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

I slapped some paint on a Redeemer and the Tactical Support Squad. Neither is really at a point where I'm happy with them, but I wanted to get them painted up to a playable point for our year-end blowout Apocalypse game that the store held last weekend.

I also have found in games lately that the Havoc squad with four missile launchers was underperforming-- I couldn't really address threats like Leman Russ tanks or Land Raiders before they did their damage, and in the case of the former, not being able to stop a Leman Russ makes it impossible to win games. I'm not really a competitive gamer-- even though my army's record is in my signature, that's more for my own sake than for the sake of competition. That being said, I don't want to end up with my pants down against an army just because I don't have the right tools for the job--especially one as hugely common as the Imperial Guard. So, with that in mind, I've reorganized some points to drum up the difference, and replaced three of the four missile launchers in my Havoc squad with lascannons. I may mess with the points some more and upgrade the remaining missile launcher-- just will take some time to figure out where I can cut the fat since the list is pretty well-rounded and the fat's been pretty much completely cut as it is.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
chaos , chaos space marines , fire , flame , pyre , traitor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode