Blackadders Warlord Work in Progress - Page 67 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #661 of 705 (permalink) Old 04-28-15, 12:55 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Hmm, now that you have it before a green screen I think this guy needs to be Photoshopped into a scene of the New York or Tokyo skyline a la Godzilla or maybe into a still from Pacific Rim.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 705 (permalink) Old 04-28-15, 01:19 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
the fragile flower
To completely ignore the rest of the sentence above, it is at least a very credible 'Lucius' Pattern, whereas the curves and relatively slim look of the FW model are far more in the 'Mars' Pattern aesthetic. So... are you feeling lucky?

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #663 of 705 (permalink) Old 04-28-15, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Blackadder's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Hmm, now that you have it before a green screen I think this guy needs to be Photoshopped into a scene of the New York or Tokyo skyline a la Godzilla or maybe into a still from Pacific Rim.
Yeah well I'm still playing with the green screen and I have to illiminate the hotspot and the figure shadow for the green screen to work effectively.

Any and all advice will be welcomed.

"It is easier to deceive people than it is to convince them that they have been deceived."

post #664 of 705 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 10:17 AM

Hey @Blackadder I've done some filming using a green screen and chroma-keying before. Unless you're actually going to make a movie the cleanliness of the greenscreen lighting isn't all that important. Photoshop is pretty forgiving because you can make multiple selections to choose and remove the background. When Chroma keying for video however you need a solid green otherwise the process breaks down.

That said an evenly lit background always helps. A few things to know: move your subject at least 4-6 feet from the green screen, light your subject (probably using 3 point lighting), and separately light the green screen with another 2-3 lights to illuminate it evenly.

You can find some decent tutorials on 3 point lighting and green screening on you tube and around the web.

If you want some help Photoshopping it once it's done I'd be glad to lend a hand. I've been using Photoshop for about 15 years.

"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:

Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #665 of 705 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Hey @Blackadder I've done some filming using a green screen and chroma-keying before. Unless you're actually going to make a movie the cleanliness of the greenscreen lighting isn't all that important. Photoshop is pretty forgiving because you can make multiple selections to choose and remove the background. When Chroma keying for video however you need a solid green otherwise the process breaks down.

That said an evenly lit background always helps. A few things to know: move your subject at least 4-6 feet from the green screen, light your subject (probably using 3 point lighting), and separately light the green screen with another 2-3 lights to illuminate it evenly.

You can find some decent tutorials on 3 point lighting and green screening on you tube and around the web.

If you want some help Photoshopping it once it's done I'd be glad to lend a hand. I've been using Photoshop for about 15 years.
I've searched for information and no one has put the basic requirements as succinctly as you have in just these few sentences TYVM. What lights do you recommend for 3 point lighting.

BTW I've always used ULead PhotoImpact, how does that compare to Photoshop which I believe is Corel ware at least it was when I had a copy, at that time I didn't like it? I'm interested in that statement, "multiple selections to choose and remove the background" Photo Impact does not have that option I believe.

"It is easier to deceive people than it is to convince them that they have been deceived."
post #666 of 705 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 11:30 AM

You're welcome! Photoshop is an Adobe product. Corel and Adobe are competitors.

In Photoshop I can use the selection tool to create a selection and then add to it or remove from it. I can also use that selection to create a mask layer. A mask layer is basically a black/white gradient where the white sections are opaque and the black is transparent. I can apply this mask to another layer. For example, I could use a selection around Luteus to create the mask and then use the mask to "paint out" sections which need to be removed.

Removing the background is reasonably easy. Getting the cityscape and the photo to match depth, focus, and detail is the tougher part.

I don't know Photoimpact. It sounds more like a consumer product for fixing red eye and cropping. I'll check it out when I can.

As for lights, I've never owned decent photographic lights. When I did greenscreening it was either with borrowed professional lights or aluminum clip lights with incandescent bulbs and daylight. The cheap way is actually easier now since there are so many bright white /LED bulbs on the market. With incandescent I had to color correct for the orange tint in my video product (Adobe Premiere.)

Quote:

post #667 of 705 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Fabulous, with your two posts you have more than doubled my photgraphical accumen.

Heading to amazon to buy "Photoshop"

Whoops, there are a lot of different Photoshop programs, which do you suggest?

Last edited by Blackadder; 04-29-15 at 12:28 PM.
post #668 of 705 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 12:33 PM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
Whoops, there are a lot of different Photoshop programs, which do you suggest?
You're looking for Photoshop CC for your needs. You can get it here for a monthly payment, instead of a fixed price.
post #669 of 705 (permalink) Old 04-29-15, 01:14 PM

Again you're very welcome!

I use Photoshop Creative Suite 6, but creative cloud will do just as well.

It's a pretty deep program so don't be alarmed if you're not sure where to begin. And let me know when you're set up if you have more questions.

[Edit]

So after poking around the internets a bit I grabbed some stock/web photos to mock-up of some examples of what I had in mind using the photos you posted. Granted, these are a bit sloppy, but I think they get across the idea of MASSIVE war machine visiting major metropolitan area.

[As a disclaimer, I don't own or purport to own any of the stock/web photos to make a mock-up example. But I did find them through a copyright released search.]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Luteus_close_01.jpg (48.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Luteus_v04.jpg (57.0 KB, 7 views)

Quote:

Last edited by Kreuger; 04-30-15 at 07:21 AM.
post #670 of 705 (permalink) Old 05-04-15, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Nice work, the peeping tom titan is right on the money, the other seems a bit too tall by an order of magnitude.....160 ft vs 1600 ft........

Nickeled and Dimed:

Another FW tease displaying tantalizing bitz and pieces of the forthcoming Warlord titan. No Hollywood starlet ever received better hype regardless of the size of her guns.

You can tell by the painted areas that the titan is ready for display and FW is just milking this for all it's worth.

Meanwhile since I already have a titan of sorts I can use these images to enhance the detail on my own construct...

So there FW eat your hearts out; yours is only an attenuated Mars pattern also ran. Ha!

Whom I kidding I've already mortgaged the abode to get one of these.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode