Blackadders Warlord Work in Progress - Page 10 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 705 (permalink) Old 06-04-12, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Blackadder's Flag is: USA

As you may know I post on a lot of fora and the question/criticism I get most often is that the legs look too thin. When I was building Lucie that was the most frequent observation and I appreciated the kind intent to warn me of impending mistakes. It turns out that I kept increasing the cross section of Lucie's legs until I realized a reference namely the banners on the knee segment.

It turns out that Lucie's appendages are much more robust than the FW model and the latter looks anorexic vis--vis Lucie.

Now the same concern is being voiced regarding this model and I do appreciate the critique; I'm also a bit anxious about it so I 'shopped the DS leg from the back removing all the front armour and if anything the legs actually look thinner than my titan's. I couldn't remove the hydraulics.

http://i.imgur.com/Kgq0Z.jpg

There are a few inconsistencies as my ankle discs is thicker than his but I needed that to make the ankle flex. and I have one more dart in the zipper-like design running over the front and back of the upper leg but thats just a matter of artistic interpretation as there are only five or six on the epic model.

So to paraphrase the line of 'The Black Adder' in the Infanta's Beard episode, "So Percy, what you are telling me is something you've never seen is slightly less thick than something else you've never seen."

The incorrigible Blackadder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 705 (permalink) Old 06-04-12, 11:06 PM

Hellados's Flag is: United Kingdom

honestly mate it looks amazing, could i propose making the hydralics and offering them up to your amazing model and seeing if it still looks too skiny?
post #93 of 705 (permalink) Old 06-05-12, 09:34 AM

Disciple_of_Ezekiel's Flag is: USA

Honetley, I would like to see someone else do better. You have put in some much time and attention to detail that it just blows my mind...I commend you on such an awesome feat thus far.

It most be hard to stay motivated at times? So....

Rep inbound to keep ya motivated and because your doing a fantastic job!

Regards,
DoE

"To retreat is defeat. Advance! Advance! In our Death lies Victory."
Captain Denos, 19th Company,468th regiment of the
Death Korps of Krieg

The K.R.I.E.G. Project (My Death Korps of Krieg Plog)

post #94 of 705 (permalink) Old 06-05-12, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the rep

This just in:

New information regarding the size of the legs:

The fine line of madness seems to be serving me in good stead. My son on return from college apprises me that there is a perfect Leman Russ component that will verify or refute the scale and width of the leg components.

He recognized right off that the ankle disc leveling device on the DS Warlord is actually the dozer blade actuator of the Leman Russ item 4 on the image below and that all I need do is apply it to the rear of the lower leg to determine if my eye was off or on regarding the width of the DS model.

http://i.imgur.com/dP8Gd.jpg

The images below vindicate my perception at least regarding the lower leg width as it appears that I cannot be off by more than the tiniest fraction of a millimeter,. whew!

http://i.imgur.com/bATIm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sfSNd.jpg
post #95 of 705 (permalink) Old 06-06-12, 02:30 AM

KjellThorngaard's Flag is: USA

Location: In the basement, surrounded by Woodland Scenics packages.

And there ya go. You are doing it right and well.

nyone complaining about your work has never attempted something so massive. You are my scratchbuilding hero!

post #96 of 705 (permalink) Old 06-06-12, 06:07 PM
post #97 of 705 (permalink) Old 06-06-12, 06:35 PM

Warlord_Winters's Flag is: USA

this reminds me of a puzzle luke
post #98 of 705 (permalink) Old 06-07-12, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Started on the greaves yesterday, it's interesting that such a simple looking panel is so difficult to get right. There are so many compound angles on these that I had to invent new ways to make them. I settled on a twelve mm thickness for the basic structure, most of the Warlords I see have armour way too thick to be practical. 12 mm translates to 2.57142857 feet which I believe is quite thick enough considering that the Iowa class battleships (the heaviest armoured ships ever built) have a belt thickness of only 19 inches. Given that in the far off bellicose future there is ceramic and/or depleted uranium armour; 30 inches seems to me to be more than sufficient.

http://i.imgur.com/0wuVH.jpg

Unless it don't look right!
post #99 of 705 (permalink) Old 06-09-12, 05:11 AM

KjellThorngaard's Flag is: USA

Location: In the basement, surrounded by Woodland Scenics packages.

Quote:
30 inches seems to me to be more than sufficient.
Plus a Titan's real protection comes from its void sheilds anyways. without stable sheilds no standard armor has a real chance of withstanding firepower of that magnitude.

post #100 of 705 (permalink) Old 06-10-12, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Back to more basic structures I should learn to accept Monsieur DS's plan and not make a fool of myself (at least not in print). I had to thicken the greaves armour another 3 millimeters as mine looked too thin. But I did manage to clean up the slope of the 'flying' greave segment so all the facets have a clean line. I should have the basic greaves done this evening. Then all that needs be accomplished is the detail which will make this rather plain structure more impressive.

http://i.imgur.com/mEx0q.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hLEpn.jpg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode