Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-09-12, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

Default Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising

So this all started with this thread: First Time Painter (Orks), C&C Please. And here are the first boyz I did with their bases finally painted up (one of the critiques I received):

And I went to work on another mob of boyz. (Another five--for me this seems to be the right size. Ten is too much to tackle at one go for me.) And here they are:

Like my prior thread, I'm posting a couple of front-and-back close-up shots of a couple of the boyz.

I do plan on touching up the fur trim on his helmet. I seem to have issues with this and horn tips.

And here's another boy:

I'm only painting them up to tabletop standard as this is the level of my painting skills at this point. I will try to take more care with the Nobs and even greater care with the Warboss and other HQ units, though I don't know how much that will affect the look of the models.

And finally, here are boyz mobbed up:

Oh, and here's what I did to paint these boyz up....

I got these second-hand and they were already undercoated black and had their skin painted not too neatly with Goblin Green washed with Devlan Mud. Additionally, I drybrushed the skin with Scorpion Green and washed it heavily with Thraka Green.

I painted using two to three thinned down coats of the following:
---Mechrite Red for eyes, and sometimes armor, shirts, bracers, tunics, trousers, straps, boots; Blood Red Angel on some of the armor;
---Scorched Brown or Calthan Brown for leather straps, trouser stitches, bracer stitches, belt, holster, and boots and thongs; and drybrushed with Calthan Brown or Scorched Brown or just washed with Devlan Mud or Badab Black
---Boltgun Metal for weapons and any rivets, washed (repeatedly) with Devlan Mud and/or Badab Black, and occasionally highlighted edges with Mithril Silver;
---Dheneb Stone, Bleached Bone, and Skull White for fingernails and teeth; and occasionally a wash of Devlan Mud;
---Codex Grey drybrushed (sometimes a bit too much) onto the trousers; and
---Dwarf Bronze for shoota glyphs and jewelry, sometimes drybrushed with Burnished Gold.

The base was painted with three to four coats of thinned down Graveyard Earth, drybrushed with Snakebite Leather and Bleached Bone.

This won't just be a painting plog though. I do plan on including kunvershuns and uvver projeks (of an orky naytur).

Next project: Mo' boyz of course.

Waaagh! Kownta
Boyz: Lotz (10)

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log

Last edited by Dicrel Seijin; 12-01-12 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Added items and paints that I forgot to list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-09-12, 02:56 AM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

For "tabletop standard", these are really good. Keep it up!

post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-23-12, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Default +5 Moar Slugga & Choppa Boyz

I honestly did not expect to take this long to paint up the next batch of boyz, but I'm been swamped with work (I work from home so there is no getting away), had to prepare for a performance, and relatives are still visiting. To say I haven't found the time is understating it. But I digress, you're here to see my boyz. 'Ere we go....

Here's the newest batch.

I've changed the paint schemes a bit. For the armor, I usually go from Boltgun Metal basecoat to Mechrite Red. I've inserted a step: dabbing on thinned down Dark Flesh to better simulate rust. Not sure how well that can be seen in the photos as there's not much armor for these.

For the shootas, I've tried a few new recipes. The new one I decided on is undercoat Chaos Black > basecoat Boltgun Metal > wash Devlan Mud > drybrush Chainmail > wash Gryphonne Sepia > very light drybrush Chainmail > dab on Mechrite Red (optional) > dab on Blood Red (optional).

Here are a couple of close-ups of the boyz. I'm not sure why, but it is usually through the camera lens that I see things I need to touch up (and I will do so at a later date).

And here's another random boy--the face only a mother could love (if Orks had mothers...).

One new thing I did with the bases was to plant a stone there to break up the monotony. They look quite a bit better than they do in the photos, but I wasn't about to just take a picture of the base. For the stones though, I used a fairly simple recipe: undercoat Chaos Black > basecoat Graveyard Earth > wash Devlan Mud > drybrush Bleached Bone.

I do plan on buying those grass tufts at some point to fancy up the bases more. I may have to order from GW direct as the shops here don't seem to carry them any more.

And here are the boyz all mobbed up. (I finally feel like I have a decent sized mob now, but as always, you can never have enough boyz.)

I do have time off next week, so I hope I'll be able to paint more than I have in the past few weeks. I don't know though, we'll see.

As always, critiques and commentary are appreciated.

Neks projekt: da Boss.

Waaagh! Kownta:
Boyz: tree an' too lotz (15)

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log

Last edited by Dicrel Seijin; 04-06-12 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Added title.

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-23-12, 01:24 AM

cirs85's Flag is: USA

I feel your pain on painting the boyz, takes alot of moto!
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-26-12, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Default Warboss, Finished Pics

On a planet long abandoned by the Imperium of Man, two Orks stood watch. “Oy, lookit. I fink das da ‘boss.” Thog squinted through a pair of maykitbiggas.

“But didna da brain boy say da ‘boss wuz cumin’ neks week?” Grog scratched his head, dislodging some ticks.

Thog swung the maykitbiggas up and focused on the previous posts. “Yeah, but who’z gonna tell da brain boy o’ da ‘boss dat dey’s urlee? U?”

“Naw. I laiks me teef in me mout’ an me ‘ead on me shoaldaz.” Grog crushed a tick between his fingers. As an afterthought, he ate it.

As the boyz above have noted, this is post is a bit early. I honestly had not thought I’d be done with the Warboss so soon.

For the most part, I stuck to the same paint scheme for the Warboss as I did for the boyz. Frankly, I like that the boyz look like they’ve been in a few good scraps and that they haven’t had the time to touch up the paint on their gear (and have resorted to using blood, which is not known for its good coverage or opacity ), but that’s my aesthetic (for these boyz at any rate).

There are a few touches here and there that are different however (see the close up below). For the boss’s left arm, I highlighted the veins with Rotting Flesh and then just a touch of Bleached Bone. I wanted to give the feel that the flesh has necrotized just slightly and something virulent is coursing through his veins. If I ever do this again, I think I'll add Goblin Green into the mix (with Rotting Flesh) to blend it in better, it contrasts a bit too much for my taste right now.

For the bionik eye(s), I used Polished Blue. One of the FLGS on the island had this discontinued paint in stock. I was a bit unsure about it as I’d never seen anyone use it, but it was $1.49 and I thought, why not? Now after seeing how it looks, I don’t regret the choice and plan on picking up another pot if possible.

The shoota and power klaw and cables are also where I have some yellow, or rather Tau Sept Ochre washed with Devlan Mud (highlighted with Bleached Bone at the cable's frayed areas). I didn’t really like the yellow flames/checks iconography so I didn’t paint it on the boyz’ armor. I am reconsidering though. I’ll definitely paint them onto the vehicles and am reconsidering painting a few of the boyz’ armor or gear with them as well.

And here is the Ork Warboss mobbed up with the boyz.

The Warboss looked around and grunted in dissatisfaction. "Dis 'ere Waaagh iz weedy it iz. We needs moar dakka--finds me a mek boy... an' a painboy fo' wen I'z gotta beat wot's in me 'ead in ta you'z 'eads.... We'z a propa Waaagh ta build."

Neks Projekt: 2 AoBR big shootas, 1 Mekboy, and 1 Painboy with Grot Orderly

Waaagh! Kownta:
Warboss: wun—"An’ das all you’z needs!" (1)
Boyz: tree an’ tu lotz (15)

Last edited by Dicrel Seijin; 04-06-12 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Fixed typos. 2d. edit: added title.
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-06-12, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Default Big Shootaz WIP Update

My intention was to have a weekly update for this plog, especially when I realized that I had no actual WIP shots, just finished models. I've been ill (I also had a reaction to the medication on top of being sick) since last week (this is my second day back online after nearly a week's absence) and am hopefully going to fully recover by the weekend, but I figured that I should at the very least post up a pic of what I managed to do before getting sick. (And no little short fiction this time.)

So below are the pair of big shoota orks that I mentioned in my last post.

I really like how the greenskins came out with these two. And it's something that I plan on using again. All that I did was add a wash of Thraka Green after the Goblin Green base coat and before the Scorpion Green drybrush.

One thing that I do need to do before finishing these up is to pick up brass metallic paint. Not sure if the new Citadels will be out, but I do need to get some. I like the Tin Bitz on the barrel, but I think some brass would look better. We'll see.

I have found that I really don't like closed models and I plan on avoiding more of these if at all possible (painting before assembly, hopefully).

Last edited by Dicrel Seijin; 11-18-12 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Fixed broken link.
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-06-12, 01:57 AM

cirs85's Flag is: USA

Looking good, I use tin bits then dwarf bronze and then a wash of devlan mud for my grungy/dirty brass look.

Yeah the AOBR boyz are pretty static, the ones you build out of the box are alot more dynamic.

Keep up the good work!
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-06-12, 02:02 AM

Everything's looking good. I like the 'dino-damage' on the Warboss' PK. I've never been very successful at making things look as though the paint has chipped away, revealing the bare metal beneath.

I feel your pain with the tin bitz, you should give Dwarf Bronze a try, it's basically a lighter version of the same color.
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-06-12, 05:45 AM

Scythes's Flag is: USA

That mob is turnin out pretty good. Painting the same thing over and over can get a little dull, it helps to have other models to paint to break up the monotony or another army so you can do a different paint scheme. It looks like you could thin out a few of the colors, the chain sword teeth look a little thick, other than that great job. Kep it up.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-06-12, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

@cirs85 and dspadres: I'll definitely try out the Dwarf Bronze and Devlan Mud. I usually just use Dwarf Bronze for the gold jewelry since it has much better coverage than either Burnished or Shining Gold.

@Scythes: I have three more boyz and five nobs left in this AoBR set. Once they're done, I do plan on painting up Bad Moons, Death Skulls, and Goffs. I'm also planning on Snakebites and Blood Axes. I'll probably get back to the Evil Sunz when I start building up the trukks and buggies.

And now that you mention it. Yes, it is a bit thick. I probably didn't thin the Boltgun Metal when I painted it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
bad moons , ork , painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode