Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-04-12, 07:50 AM
Pony Marine Master

Angelofdeath690's Flag is: Japan

For now all i can say is Needs more of them, not nearly enough for me to enjoy killing!

Over all tho they are way better than my stuff XD your detail work is a lot better than mine.

Keep up the good work and hope to murder most of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-04-12, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

Them's fightin' words.

I just need to varnish this batch of boyz and I'm good.

The next batch are already on the workbench. I decided against pics since all I'm doing is filing down mold lines, drilling out barrels, and dry-fitting the heads and arms. This should keep me occupied for a while (since I'm taking shorter breaks). And even after I'm done, I don't know if I'm going to take pics after they've been based and undercoated black. Then again, this is a WIP plog, so maybe, we'll see.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #23 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-17-12, 11:39 AM

Hellados's Flag is: United Kingdom

I love the weathering on the weapons, an effect i REALLY want to steal

I may also borrow your greens on my boyz to make them a bit lighter. I really do think that there guys are stunning and i bet the weathering to that quality would be really hard on vehicles

What varnish do you use??

(i also like your leather straps more then mine, for some reason i decided to use snakebite leather but i think the scorched brown on at least some of them (mine) would work well

post #24 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-29-12, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Apologies on the rather late reply, but I've been sick since the 15th. Summer colds are damn tenacious. Got better last week, but had an emergency freelance job drop in my lap. Work still trumps 40K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellados View Post
I love the weathering on the weapons, an effect i REALLY want to steal

I may also borrow your greens on my boyz to make them a bit lighter. I really do think that there guys are stunning and i bet the weathering to that quality would be really hard on vehicles
Well, thank you very much. My intent was tabletop standard, though I've been told they're more than that (I still don't think so since I still see much better painted minis out there).

And go for it. I've outlined pretty much what I use and how I use it. If you have any other questions, just ask. (One of my pet peeves is seeing these gorgeously painted minis in project logs without any explanation on how it was done or intentionally ignoring questions about technique.)

As for vehicles--I haven't actually done vehicles yet. (I do have some, though I haven't found time to assemble most of them yet.)

Quote:
What varnish do you use??
I don't. I haven't varnished those boyz yet. I haven't actually found time to go down my local Walmart to pick up a spray varnish (if there was a matte brush on varnish, I would use that instead. I've heard and seen quite a number of horror stories on the boards).

Quote:
(i also like your leather straps more then mine, for some reason i decided to use snakebite leather but i think the scorched brown on at least some of them (mine) would work well
Again, thank you. I wanted to keep to a limited palette (which is why it's Scorched Brown with a Calthan Brown drybrush or Calthan Brown with a Badab Black wash) and I wanted colors that were as subdued as the Mechrite Red.

And for those wondering, I should have an update soon. I took some time off from painting the boyz. I thought grots would be a nice break. I thought they'd be easier to paint--boy, was I wrong.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #25 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-30-12, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

Default 1 Mekboy & 6 Grots

I finished up the bases much more quickly than I thought it would take. So here they are.

Grog looked Thog over. He certainly had changed. Thog had said Gork (or possibly, Mork) had told him to go out into the wilderness. And in the desert, he would find himself. It looked like he had found some other lads since most of his clothes were missing.

"Er, Thog? You wants ta go find sumbody an' take der boots an' mebbe der shirt?"

"Nah. Me shirt's right 'ere." He held up what Grog first thought was a rag looped through his belt. "An' me boots iz 'ere." Thog showed him a patchwork leather pouch that clunk with tools. "Too bad me feet ain't bigga. Dere's no room fo' me spanner."

"Er, right." Grog looked out at the desert. A thought occurred to him. "You find anymo' lads out dere?"

"Nah, not lads." Thog gestured over his shoulder at a rising dust cloud, from which could be heard high-pitched gibbering.

I rather liked how Thog, now a mekboy, turned out. I used Chaos Black > Orkhide Shade > Dark Angels Green > Snot Green > drybrush Goblin Green > wash Thraka Green > highlight Scorpion Green > wash Thraka Green. Quite a bit more than the usual color scheme for the boyz, but this is the first metal mini that I've painted and I thought I'd do something special. I'll probably use him as a count-as Big Mek, possibly with a burna.

As for the welding tanks on his back: Tin Bitz > Beaten Copper > wash Devlan Mud > wash Badab Black > wash with the verdigris mix I've mentioned before > light drybrush Beaten Copper. I added the last step since I really went overboard with the verdigris weathering.

The flex tubing was Tin Bitz > heavy drybrush Dwarf Bronze.

I used the Bleached Bone and Kommando Khaki 1:1 mix to dust the mini's feet, bottom of his satchel, and the bottom of his welding tanks. (Those two square bits at the bottom were actually Boltgun Metal washed with Badab Black, not that you can tell with the weathering.

And here are the Grots. They're part of the Thieving Grots set (I haven't included the Ork Casualty).

This Gretchin that I've nicknamed "Boss" is sitting in his throne, an Ork helmet. What he's doing, I leave to your imagination. (There's a reason I did not photo his backside--I really didn't think any one wanted to see Gretchin butt cleavage. And just think, I had to paint that.)

His color scheme is the one I'll probably use for the majority of my grots: Gretchin Green > wash Thraka Green > drybrush Camo Green > wash Thraka Green > highlight Rotting Flesh. The highlights are on the tips of his ears and that wart on his nose.

This is "Toofpulla." He's planted his foot on an Ork skull and is trying to pull out a toof with pliers.

His color scheme is Gretchin Green > wash Devlan Mud > drybrush Camo Green > wash Devlan Mud. It's not bad, but I don't like it as much.

This is "Da Toof Fairy." He's lugging a sack of teef. Oddly enough, unlike some others, he doesn't have a pair of pliers. I painted up the sack yellow (and dusty) figuring a Bad Moon would have the teef.

His color scheme is a bit different: Gretchin Green > Dark Green Ink (discontinued Citadel) > heavy drybrush Camo Green > wash Thraka Green. After using the Dark Green Ink, I was rather upset. It looked horrible--patchy and shiny.

I call this tableau, "Negotiation." The choker has the same color scheme as the "Boss." The chokee is Gretchin Green > wash Ogryn Flesh > Camo Green > wash Ogryn Flesh. The Rotting Flesh highlights are much more noticeable on him. And I kind of went overboard with the dusting on his upraised foot.

I would fix the teeth, but considering how small these teeth are and how much difficulty I had in getting that much on in the first place, I'm going to leave it as is.

And the last one is "Spent Ammo Runt." Unlike other Ammo Runts, this one seems to have just scavenged ammo (and some spent shells). I'm not quite sure why he has pliers.

His color scheme is Gretchin Green > wash Gryphonne Sepia > Camo Green > wash Gryphonne Sepia.

Oh, yes. With the exception of "Boss" who doesn't have one, all the others' loincloths were painted up with Calthan Brown and heavy washed Badab Black.

One thing that I noticed is that there's not too much difference between the Devlan Mud, Ogryn Flesh, and Gryphonne Sepia washed Gretchin, especially between Ogryn Flesh and Gryphonne Sepia.

As these don't have actual weapons or much in the way of gear, I'll just add them to figures that need an Ammo Runt, Grot Oiler, or other assistance.

Neks Projekt: Five Skarboyz. I'm greenstuffing their scars. This is my first GS sculpting. We'll see how this goes.

Waaagh! Kownta
Warboss: wun (1)
Mekboy: wun (1)
Nobz: fiv' (5)
Slugga & Choppa Boyz: tree-lotz (18)
Big Shoota Boyz: too (2)
Grots: lotz (6)

Last edited by Dicrel Seijin; 11-28-12 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Uploaded photos to Heresy Gallery, re-did all the pics links. EDIT2: Fixed broken image links, again.
post #26 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-30-12, 08:46 AM

Disciple_of_Ezekiel's Flag is: USA

Dicrel

Great job on the Ork boyz and the boss looks super! The gritty/dirty look on your Orks work very well and I do have to say I really like the chipping worn look on the armour. Given that they were AoBR figs, you made them look great, well done Sir.

+Rep inbound

Regards,
DoE

"To retreat is defeat. Advance! Advance! In our Death lies Victory."
Captain Denos, 19th Company,468th regiment of the
Death Korps of Krieg

The K.R.I.E.G. Project (My Death Korps of Krieg Plog)

post #27 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-31-12, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

@DoE: Thank you very much. Coming from a painter like you (I've looked through your DKoK thread before), it means a lot.

=====

So, here are several work-in-progress pics of the skarboys. I know that they're no longer valid units, but I liked the idea of scarred orks.

I probably should have waited until I had bought a new bulb for my magnifier. Without it, I couldn't do as fine detail as wanted.

I picked a number of sculpting tools a few weeks back and I'll probably have to go back for more. There were things that I wanted to do that I simply didn't have the tools for (not sure if the tools exist to be frank). I've heard rumors that there is a place on the island that sells dental tools. I'll probably try to track it down before I attempt any more greenstuffing.

I'm sort of on the fence on how the scars look. They're huge, but I rationalized it by thinking of painboys sewing on the parts that the boyz gave them.

I don't think I should have had so much "leftovers." I don't know if it would have been "cleaner" if I had just formed scars and not tried to blend it into the musculature.

In this instance, I probably should have gone with one wraparound scar rather than trying to blend two together.

Not the best pic since its focus is the ork rather than the scars. I did like how I managed to do the crook of the arm (like it was loped off at the joint).

I'm making it a point not to sculpt unless I have use of my magnifier. I really could have done a better job had I been able to see much more fine detail.

My friends looking at these said that they looked like millipedes or centipedes rather than scars. I wanted big scars because anything else wouldn't even phase the Orks. I wanted scars that said "grievous bodily harm" and "dismemberment." Still, I'm not satisfied with my sculpts.

Any advice, critiques, or comments are welcome (especially if you can direct me to others that have sculpted scars on Orks that are better than mine).

post #28 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-01-12, 10:01 PM

I really like what I've seen, although none of the pics worked for me after the second page...except for your scars, which I think look pretty cool, but I have utterly failed at any of the molding that I have tried as of yet. Your early boyz and the warboss look great though! Keep up the good work, you're nearly convincing me to get back to assembly-lining my Orks again! SO MUCH TO PAINT!
post #29 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-04-12, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

@jlaughter001: A bit late, but I've uploaded all the pics from my last post into the Heresy Gallery and then changed out all the links. The pics should be visible now.

On Saturday, I attended a Games Day at my GW-affiliated FLGS. My boyz took the field (and I used the just painted Grots as krew for my kannons). I got a few compliments on my boyz and was even encouraged to enter the painting competition being held in August. Not sure my painting's up to snuff though. I will admit at this point, it is better than table-top, but I don't think it's at competition level.

Oh, and I will have pics on my WIP skarboyz. I just have to recharge the batteries on my camera. And since I've been painting, I'll have to take more pics.

post #30 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-05-12, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Default 5 Bad Moons Ork Skarboyz WIP

The skin on the skarboyz were painted up with the following: undercoat Chaos Black > Orkhide Shade > Dark Angels Green > Snot Green > wash Thraka Green > highlight Goblin Green > wash Thraka Green.

As for the scars, I've very lightly drybrushed on Rotting Flesh.

I also used Dark Green Ink to correct any mistakes (i.e., keeping the recesses a dark green).

I wanted them to be darker than usual so I did not use Scorpion Green and just moved down one on the color scale.

You'll notice that I'm painting them up as Bad Moons.

These are the test paints. And by test, I opened up my paintbox, cursed my limited choice of colors (I have two yellows), and painted a couple minis up. I came up with this Bad Moons color scheme on the spur of the moment, so if there are better/different ones out there, let me know.

Left: 2-3 thinned down layers of Tau Sept Ochre > wash Devlin Mud > highlight Yellow Sunburst > wash Ogryn Flesh.

Right: 2-3 thinned down layers of Tau Sept Ochre > wash Ogryn Flesh > highlight Yellow Sunburst > wash Gryphonne Sepia.

So here's a somewhat dark pic of the first color scheme. It really is rather dirty and keeping in the theme of my grungy Evil Sunz.

Unlike the Devlin Mud + Orgyn Flesh wash, the Ogryn Flesh + Gryphonne Sepia has more of an orange-y tinge, but the Sunburst does blend in much better.

I'll probably use both for now, though I do prefer the second one more. I'll probably see what other yellows I can pick up in the future when painting up the others in this AoBR set.

Unlike the Evil Sunz, I plan on using a lot more metallics on the armor. The Tin Bitz is for the various golds I plan on using (rather than painting the armor yellow, it'll be gold-plated [and weathered--the gold on orks will corrode]). And I do realize the Tin Bitz (and Boltgun Metal) is on a bit thick. I really have no excuse, I have no idea what I was thinking (or not thinking as the case may be). If anyone has any ideas about how to fix it, I'm all ears.

Once these five are done, I'll probably take a break for a while. Do some actual research (i.e., look at galleries and steal ideas).

I'm kind of despairing of ever being ready for Rogue Trader when it comes here. I don't think I'll get an additional 1,200 points painted up within two months.

As always C&C is appreciated (and encouraged).

Last edited by Dicrel Seijin; 06-05-12 at 02:41 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
bad moons , ork , painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode