Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-15-12, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

Default Big Shootas (Done); Oddboys, Boyz, and Nobz (WIP)

"Er, 'Boss?" Thog shuffled from one foot to the next, uncertain about how the 'boss would react.

"Wut?" The warboss looked past Thog and Grog and saw a pair of boyz lugging big shootas. "Ah, moar dakka."

"Yeah, 'Boss. Da brain boy sent dem ovah." Grog piped up.

"So where's da painboy an' da mekboy?" The warboss' one good eye scanned the plain.

"Yeah, about dat... da brain boy said dey's not ready yet," Thog patted down his pockets, "but he gave da boyz dis." He passed over a data-slate.

The warboss cradled the data-slate and prodded its surface with one finger. As he watched the pics scroll past, something odd happened to his face.

Thog nudged Grog, "Is da 'Boss smilin'?"

Honestly, I expected to be further along at this point, but once I got well enough, I began working again rather than fully resting and recovering (and as such I'm heading into my fourth week of being sick).

But, you're here to see the pics. Below are my boyz equipped with big shootas.

I never did pick up the Brass, rather a fellow big mek suggested Dwarf Bronze with a Devlan Mud wash, which worked out rather well.

You'll notice that the barrel's been cut down on this one. I didn't mention it earlier, but part of the barrel sheared off. It was easier to cut down the barrel and then drill it out than to try and salvage the original barrel with Green Stuff or something else.

And here's another group shot of my growing Waaagh.

Here are the oddboyz. I've put on the primer coat on all three. The mekboy I've basecoated the skin with Orkhide Shade (first time I'm doing this, we'll see how he turns out).

Here are the last three boyz from the AoBR set. I tried using Iyanden Sunburst over Tau Sept Ochre and I don't really like it. I've put dags of Mechrite Red over it. We'll see if I don't dunk him in Simple Green in the near future.

And here are the last miniatures from the AoBR set, the Nobz. I've been trying out a number of painting techniques on them (hence the odd patch of yellow and blue color here and there).

With school coming to a close, I'll try to finish up these units, but I probably won't have much in the way of free time to paint until mid-May.

Waaagh! Kownta
Warboss: wun (1)
Slugga & Choppa Boyz: too lotz an’ tree (15)
Big Shoota Boyz: too (2)

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log

Last edited by Dicrel Seijin; 11-18-12 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Fixed broken image links.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-22-12, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Default +3 Slugga & Choppa Boyz

Thog and Grog looked over the latest arrivals, a trio of boyz armed with sluggas and choppas.

"Dunno if da 'boss iz gonna laik dis." Thog canted his head to the side. "Oy, why'z you yella? Youse a Bad Moon?"

Nazgrod looked right, and then realization broke over his face like waves of a toxic chemical spill. "You mean me? Nah, me an' da ladz... 'found' a Bad Moon. We 'ad sum wurdz wit' 'im an' 'e gave us 'iz kit." He smiled showing off the new shiny bitz he'd pierced his lip with.

Thog looked over the three and noticed the new choppa one held, the teef hanging from their belts. "R-ri-i-ight." One boy however, did not look like he had any new kit. "Huh, wot'd you git?"

Tuffwort looked down at himself then back up at Thog from beneath his fur-trimmed helmet, " 'E 'elped me paint my kit. Hurr, hurr, hurr."

"Hmm, well den ladz, let's go see da 'boss."

I really didn't want to dunk and repaint one boy, so I came up with a back story to justify his color scheme. And these are the last boyz of the AoBR set, which was another reason for me to finish things up.

Well, onto the close-ups.

So this is Nazgrod ("Naz" means "Moon"; "Grod" means "best friend or favorite enemy). The short fiction piece was inspired partially by his slugga, it's the only one that looks like that among the boyz I've painted so far.

I rather like the red dags on the back of his tunic. I purposefully did not try for sharp lines as I figured that the blood seeping in would have created a diffused pattern.

This is the unnamed ork of the piece. Of all the things that I've figured out how to do, I still have trouble with keeping the points of the horns white. Paint inevitably flakes/wears off revealing the primer underneath.

It is a small detail, but I would direct your attention to the rock and the growth that is there. Here in Hawaii, one of the more coveted building materials is mossrock. It's used for traditional stone walls. It's called mossrock because of the lichen that sooner or later starts to grow on it. I think I did a fairly good job of recreating it (it's usually a very pale green and white).

And this is Tuffwort. With the exception of over-highlighting on some of the rivets, I really like how he came out.

Neks Projekt: I'm currently working on the five nobz (again from the AoBR set). While this will nearly complete the whole AoBR set, I will not be working on the deffkoptas anytime soon however. I want to paint something other than Evil Sunz, so I'm looking over the various clans and trying to decide which one I'll use for my next paint scheme for another set of boyz. I'm not sure what it's going to be, but this Waaagh will be a mixed clan force. My near future goal is 500 points WYSIWYG (currently at 225).

As always C&C is appreciated.

Waaagh! Kownta
Slugga & Choppa Boyz: tree lotz (18)

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #13 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 01:49 AM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

Looking really good DS, i'm looing forwards to seeing how your nobs come out.

But yoo kant count. yoo az tree tree tu and lotz boys. or lots an lots wivout tu. Lotz wivout wun, tu times.

post #14 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimzagGorwazza View Post
Looking really good DS, i'm looing forwards to seeing how your nobs come out.
Thanks. I basecoated their bases today and then had to stop since I found out some of the bases had holes (the mini's tab did not fill the slot completely leaving a gap on one side or the other). Did some quick GS work and I'm waiting on it to cure before continuing (also did some GS filling on the painboy and grot orderly). And while I waited I painted up the skin on the mekboy. Not really liking how it looked since I tried something different.

Quote:
But yoo kant count. yoo az tree tree tu and lotz boys. or lots an lots wivout tu. Lotz wivout wun, tu times.
Uh-uh. "Lotz" iz afta "fiv'" so's my "lotz" iz fiv' an' wun, jus' laik da glyf. An' not fiv' an' tu, 'o fiv' an' tree, o' fiv' an' fo', o' fiv' an' fiv'. I gots lotz an' lotz an' lotz a boyz an das tree lotz, so dere.

Iz dat fing dat humies call "multiplikashun," it iz. An' I fink dis 'ere iz da furst time orks iz arguin' 'bout maths.

(Seriously though, if it is actually established somewhere that "lotz" is actually ten and not six, I'll change the count. I actually based this on the trolls of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, where the trolls count up to four and after that instead of "five" it's "many." With many being any number from five to infinity.)

post #15 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 08:34 AM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicrel Seijin;1204443)
Uh-uh. "Lotz" iz afta "fiv'" so's my "lotz" iz fiv' an' wun, jus' laik da glyf. An' not fiv' an' tu, 'o fiv' an' tree, o' fiv' an' fo', o' fiv' an' fiv'. I gots lotz an' lotz an' lotz a boyz an das tree lotz, so dere.

Iz dat fing dat humies call "multiplikashun," it iz. An' I fink dis 'ere iz da furst time orks iz arguin' 'bout maths.

(Seriously though, if it is actually established somewhere that "lotz" is actually ten and not six, I'll change the count. I actually based this on the trolls of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, where the trolls count up to four and after that instead of "five" it's "many." With many being any number from five to infinity.)

ah, if you're using lots as 6 then it all makes sense. see when i was reading it i thought you were using it as 10. tu lots and wun i was reading as 2+10+1 =13. where you meant it as 2x6 +1 =13. It's never noted that lots is 10, just that it is more than 6. Ork number glyphs go up to 6 and then only have lots.

not that it matters, i withdraw my previous mathematical debate.

Last edited by GrimzagGorwazza; 04-24-12 at 03:01 PM.
post #16 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-24-12, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
not that it matters, i withdraw my previous mathematical debate.
No worries. Arguing math as orks was fun.

I'm looting the pic just so you know. It has three more glyphs than the one in the codex (the name starter, word divider, and six). I may have to change "lotz" to equal seven instead since there is a glyph for six.

I rather like this table more than the one in the codex. Reminds me more of cuneiform than the one in the codex (which seems to have horns rather than strictly wedge forms).... I just realized that the cross-section of an axe-head choppa could form the wedge shape. Truly, the Ork choppa is the pinnacle of writing implements as it embodies both the pen and the sword.

post #17 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-24-12, 08:50 AM

Disciple_of_Ezekiel's Flag is: USA

Nice work Dicrel. Your Orks have a very gritty, dirty look about them. I also like the weathering and chipping you did on the armor. Well done.

+Rep

Regards,
DoE

"To retreat is defeat. Advance! Advance! In our Death lies Victory."
Captain Denos, 19th Company,468th regiment of the
Death Korps of Krieg

The K.R.I.E.G. Project (My Death Korps of Krieg Plog)

post #18 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-25-12, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_of_Ezekiel View Post
Nice work Dicrel. Your Orks have a very gritty, dirty look about them. I also like the weathering and chipping you did on the armor. Well done.

+Rep

Regards,
DoE
Thanks for the complements DoE. I feel Orks aren't really Orks unless they're somewhat grungy.

And a little update, though no pic, the nobz are coming along well. I'm at the stage where I'm cleaning up the paint on them. My experiments with some different painting techniques on bits of armor and their trousers were, for the most part, satisfactory. They're pretty much done except for their boots and bases.

I've already done some preliminary weathering on their armor (still trying to decide which pieces get more weathering and which will get paint, such that it is).

Work though is beginning to bog me down, so I'm not sure if I'll be done by the weekend as I had planned (either way I should get a pic up).

post #19 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 11:46 AM

Lumat's Flag is: Netherlands

Looking great these orks. I like the dark feel they have. Really good how you manage to give the red this "evil" feel.

My Ork Deathskull Project Log Here

My Crimson Fists Project Log Here
post #20 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-03-12, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Default +5 Nobs

No opening short fiction this time.

So onto the first nob, Duffdreg (I've begun naming them, though I'm not sure about the boyz) and before anyone says anything, he's back on my workbench since I do plan on filing down those mold lines on his choppa and repainting. I also do plan on painting a tally mark on his iron gob (for killing a Soul Grinder--still not sure about the trophy).

His skin is basecoated Dark Angels Green, drybrushed with Snot Green, washed with Thraka Green, and highlighted with Goblin Green. I wanted them darker than the Boyz.

Now there are a couple of other things different that I did. I dusted the boots to mimic walking through the desert. I did this by drybrushing on a mix of Kommando Khaki and Bleached Bone. I rather like how it turned out, though I probably will not go back and do all the boyz (maybe just the 'Boss and the Big Shootaz).

Diffdreg's shoulder pad is painted with Beaten Copper. It was a Citadel paint that was in one of those old screw tops. I literally used a vise and a clamp to open it up, then used matte medium and Flo-Aid to reclaim it.

After basing it, I washed it with Badab Black and Devlan Mud (letting fully dry in between coats). The verdigris was made with a 1:1:1 mix of Hawk Turquoise, Scorpion Green, and water. (Hawk Turquoise just seems too blue to me--I've seen weathered copper and bronze up close.)

And for the second nob, Razskul. As always, I am using Polished Blue for lenses. The lens on this one was odd since there was a wire leading into/out of the center of it. Looking at it again, it seems the silver is too bright, I'll need to wash it.

The spike on the shoulder pad was another experiment with bronze/brass and verdigris. I didn't use Beaten Copper as previous though. I used Boltgun Metal twice washed with Gryphonne Sepia, then washed with Devlan Mud. The verdigris mix was the same, but I used far less of it.

For this third nob who I've decided to call Kruk, I wish the angle were better as the four different plates have four different treatments: plain and weathered; painted red and weathered; brass and tarnished; and copper and verdigris.

Oh, his choppa. You will note that the wires are painted with Tin Bitz. I thought about insulation and how it's not orky enough. So I also considered what the results would be. The red paint next to it would be scorched (and was washed repeatedly with Badab Black) and the area where the axe blade nearly touched the haft would also have scorching, but more severe (watered down Chaos Black). I repeated this with another nob that had another power axe.

And I perhaps put too much dust on him (it's also on his stikkbomb). I don't know why, but I find I can get really carried away when it comes to drybrushing. It's weird. You may note that some dust has actually made it to the knees of some of the nobs' trousers before I managed to stop myself.

The icon on the axe head was also put through the verdigris treatment. The shoulder pad had the second bronze/brass technique, but I added a bit of Badab Black to the Devlan Mud wash after it had dried halfway. I'll probably go back and drybrush with maybe some Shining Gold to pick out the rivets and highlights.

I did the experiments with dusting and verdigris partially because I had finally learned some fairly simple techniques (the ones that I had found earlier were complicated and required a lot of mixing).

I am thinking of creating some feral/Snakebite orks and with the brown leathers I felt that bronze and brass would look much better than the weathered, painted metal that I've been painting so far. So, yeah, steampunk Snakebites.

Oh, and because I couldn't resist...

"Oy, you lot! Shut! It!" The warboss turned, once again facing forward and nodded.

"One... two... three--"

"WAAAGH!" The imagifer flashed.

And this plog will be on hiatus until May 18. (I have to make work my only priority for the next couple of weeks to make several deadlines.)

As always C&C is appreciated. (I'll still visit Heresy, even if I'm not going to be posting as much.)

Waaagh! Kownta
Nobz: fiv' (5)
Slugga & Choppa Boyz: tree lotz (18)

Last edited by Dicrel Seijin; 11-28-12 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Fixed broken image links.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
bad moons , ork , painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode