Dark Eldar - Kabal of the Poisoned Vines - Page 7 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-20-12, 02:00 PM

Hammer49's Flag is: United Kingdom

Great work- the skin tone looks great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-20-12, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Zero Effect's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well after several requests on this blog, here is a basic tutorial on how to paint the armour and skin tones for my Kabal.

The brushes that I use:

I tend to prefer the Army Painter brushes as they seem to hold their point for longer. Do not get me wrong, I do use the GW paint brushes as well.

You only see 3 brushes in this picture, however I have more but for this little tutorial, I only ever used these 3.

Skin

I have shown you both the old and new GW paints for the skin tone.

Only a black primer, I slightly water down my base colour, Dheneb Stone and apply 2-3 thinner layers to get a smoother surface.

I water down the wash of Ogryn Flesh as I feel personally that it is too dark applied directed to the base paint. Again if you have watered down the wash too much, apply a second or even third layer.

When applying the highlight I make sure that I use a wet brush allowing for smoother application over the base and wash layers.

Using a slightly water down mixture of 65/35 Dheneb Stone/Skull White, apply one maybe two layers of this over the all but the recess areas of the face.

Finally using a slightly water down mixture of 50/50 or 40/60 Dheneb Stone/Skull White, apply to the raised areas of the face and skin.

Armour

First of all, apologies about not having the new range of paints for the armour.

This is my unique mixture. I thought as a starter that the Liche Purple was too light and the Warlock Purple was not even on the same path I wanted the Kabal to look. After several test mixing pots I got the depth of the Liche Purple I required.

I find that a 80/20 or 70/30 Liche Purple/Chaos Black works the treat.

Water down this mixture slightly as per above and apply 2 coats over the black undercoat. This gives a smoother and richer looking depth to the colour.

Using the same purple, apply the following mixture 70/30 or 60/40 even 50/50 Purple mixture/Space Wolves Grey and water this down again.

Apply to the edging of the model with the insane detail brushes, one or two strokes of this will bring you results like this.

No need for any washes as previously experimented with. I found that it gave the model's armour a shine that did not suit the environment the Dark Eldar come from. Each to their own.

***Disclaimer*** This was a test model and mold lines and flash maybe visible. No model was harmed in this tutorial. ***Disclaimer***

Hopefully you have enjoyed my first ever tutorial.

Feedback and comments always welcome.

Zero Effect
post #63 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-21-12, 02:47 AM
Embrace the Insanity

Insanity's Flag is: Australia

Thank you very much Zero, I can't wait to get started on my own Dark Eldar (need more money 1st....).

2 last quick questions.
1st. When mixing up your paints (Specifically the armour colours), do you create a large batch of the colour and keep it in a pot, or do you just make small amounts as you go?

2nd. When mixing your paints, how do you ensure that you are getting the correct proportions? do you just estimate or do you use something like an eyedropper?

Oh and I would give you more rep for the tutorial if I could, but I need to spread some more around 1st. I will make sure I come back and do that when I can.

Thanks again!

post #64 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-21-12, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity72 View Post

2 last quick questions.
1st. When mixing up your paints (Specifically the armour colours), do you create a large batch of the colour and keep it in a pot, or do you just make small amounts as you go?

2nd. When mixing your paints, how do you ensure that you are getting the correct proportions? do you just estimate or do you use something like an eyedropper?
First question.
Yes I did create enough for 2 pots for the base armour colour. I have used about 1 and a quarter of these pots on my army so far. Around 1850 points.

Second question.
I just went for it a small portion at a time till I achieved the colour I really liked.

Thank you for you kind words. Good luck with your own army and I look forward to seeing your results. Yes money does help.

Zero Effect
post #65 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Well first of all, Lelith update.

She is now complete.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356354302.822007.jpg

I will update more pictures when I get better lighting.

Merry Christmas to you all. See you in 2013

Zero Effect
post #66 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 01:47 PM

Hammer49's Flag is: United Kingdom

The finished Lelith looks very good!
post #67 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Slight update.

First of all, Happy New Year for all the followers and viewers of this blog.

I have just enter my January entry for the monthly painting challenge.

5 x Scourges with feathered wings. I personally feel these are the better looking option on the models and I can't wait to try and pick out each individual feather.

Yes it will be a time consuming part of the models but I think I can pull it off in the 4 weeks remaining.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357155144.421893.jpg

Weapon options are still to be decided but I do have 2 sets of weapon kits to get me thinking.

I will update over the next few days with a wing update.

Zero Effect
post #68 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-05-13, 10:05 AM

Nazrax's Flag is: USA

Wow, loving your Lelith. I have always liked the model and always enjoy seeing people's various takes on her. I really like all of your work and the purple and green are very much the colors I see in my mind when I think of DE especially wyches. Thank you for sharing these and keep up the good work!
+rep!

We Are Legion
post #69 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-05-13, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazrax View Post
Wow, loving your Lelith. I have always liked the model and always enjoy seeing people's various takes on her. I really like all of your work and the purple and green are very much the colors I see in my mind when I think of DE especially wyches. Thank you for sharing these and keep up the good work!
+rep!
Thank you for your compliments. I personally feel I got the tone of her in my colour scheme. Also other compliments in the real world have told me my painting has come along 'great guns'. It means a lot, cheers.

Wing update on the Scourges.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357415296.548575.jpg
Hopefully this shot will come out off my iPhone.

I was looking at doing a just giving the wing a more natural look without trying a dry brush effect but keeping in with the colours of the Kabal.

What do you think if the picture has come out? Ok as it is or bring it up one more layer on the edging?

Comments appreciated as ever.
Zero Effect
post #70 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-05-13, 08:05 PM

Dragblud da scrunka's Flag is: United Kingdom

Them wings are great. Really well done where they time consuming? It may be worth doing the effect on every feather (yeah may take ages but still) and see which is better but still very good Plog and keep it up!

Oh forgot to mention +rep for your stuff and loving lelith the only thing that annoys me is i think her lips should be defined

WAAAAGH Dragblud
W: 22 D: 6 L: 13

Space marines: Krakens Fury! (TBF)
W: 0 D: 0 L: 0

Last edited by Dragblud da scrunka; 01-05-13 at 08:07 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode