Trent's Dark Angels / Black Legion (pic heavy Of course) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-08, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

TrentLanthier's Flag is: Canada

Default Trent's Dark Angels / Black Legion

Well I had a post in the Painting Section but a whole army is more of a work in progress/Project so I'm posting what I have so far for each army.

Probably not exciting for some people because I'm not working with Green stuff etc but its my first army

1) All my dark angels so far, all of them are primed, and all tactical marines have 2 light layers of Dark Angel Green.

2) 2 of my Veteran Sgt's, the first with a power axe and a plasma Pistol, the 2nd with just a plasma pistol, when I do these marines I do their heads separately because I have an awful hard time with painting skin, if I'm not happy its easy for me to 1) Strip the paint off or 2) buy a new head off ebay.

3) My Assault Squad (number 5 was taking a pee break I missed him somehow)

4) This is a new attempt at dry brushing the guns to get a more metallic feel to the guns and give them texture, I started with a chaos black base, dry brushed on gun bolt metal (I think that's its name) and then dry brushed a layer of Chain mail.

5) Here is 3 of my first marines just to compare.

My basis now is to get my armies ready to play, which means I'll be saving highlighting and things like that for later. Its just to get my army up to standard ASAP while making them look good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My-DarkAngels.jpg (63.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Vet-Sgt.jpg (47.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Assault-Sqd1.jpg (43.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 3-DryBrushGuns.JPG (42.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 3-First Marines.jpg (73.5 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by TrentLanthier; 06-04-08 at 02:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-08, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

1) 2 of my favorite poses I've played around with the more I build the marines the more bold I get breaking the "normal" poses.

2) My first attempt at a Missile Launcher Marine, I think it turned out okay.

3) My rhino is only painted on the inside, so far, its glued together (Which I had a really hard time with it doesn't fit together very nicely in my opinion I had to chop some parts off under neither to get it to fit right and even then I had to glue it and hold it, I probably screwed up somewhere)

As you can see by the last photo in the rhino series there was an accident with too much primer, which then had my fingerprint in it, which I removed with some paint remover and water, but I wasn't able to get it off properly, and I really was hesitant to strip it all with Brake Fluid, so in the end I think I'll just paint some tin bits/Chainmail etc and make it some wear/tear)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-Favorite Poses.jpg (60.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg ML-Tact-Marine1.jpg (97.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Rhino.jpg (43.9 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by TrentLanthier; 05-22-08 at 03:53 AM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-08, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

This is my first Chaos Terminator, and Chaos has me a bit scared because it seems that I really have to pay attention to what shoulder pads etc as the instructions state certain things belong to each god, they have lots of detail compared to regular space marines.

I've decided to install magnets in my terminators in case I want them CC or Shooty.

I decided to do all the drilling with the terminator not glued in case I made a mistake it would be easier to buy 1 bit off of Ebay than a whole terminator.

1) My first attempt at putting in a magnet, and as you can see the magnet is not flush with the arm socket, its sticking out and that's going to lead to big gaps so I have to dig that puppy out and use my drill bit to get a bit further in.

2) Parts I've installed magnets into so far.

3,4,5) Various poses playing with the magnets, keep in mind because the legs and body aren't glued I couldn't put the arms in realistic positions because it would fall apart

As you can see in the poses the left arm (His left arm the Chain Fist) has a gap and doesn't sit exactly right so I have to go back and remove the magnets and set them a bit deeper, the reaper cannon is perfectly done.

I first tried the 1/16" dia. x 1/32" thick magnets (found here) but I found the strength wasn't good enough to put them in proper poses, they fell loose often, but they never fell off.

I then I tried the: 1/8" dia. x 1/32" thick (found here) and was much happier with the strength and the ability to pose them.

The most important thing I've found is to make sure that all your parts use the same polarity in the same direction, so you can use any arm on any body, if you don't pay attention/build a method for installing the magnets you could quickly run into body's that repel certain weapons/arm combinations which would be a pain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Termini-Chest.jpg (40.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Termini-Parts.jpg (70.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Terminator-1.jpg (70.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Terminator-1.1.jpg (77.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Terminator-1.2.jpg (58.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by TrentLanthier; 05-22-08 at 07:46 PM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-08, 09:48 PM

plug's Flag is: United Kingdom

Like the poses you done on the missile team. For a first army they are looking good. Best of luck with the rest of the army.

"Of the fabulous hydra it is said, cut of one head and two will grow in its place"

Brethran
Project
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-08, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Here is my wife's mini's you know the Ork Horde!

That's all her mini's that are painted vs mine (I Know that Orks are harder to paint but hey)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poor-Orc.jpg (58.8 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by TrentLanthier; 05-23-08 at 12:55 AM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-08, 01:23 AM

yeah Trent, haha! !
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-08, 04:14 AM

loyalist42's Flag is: USA

Very nice; I definitely like the drybrushed guns better.

A word of warning, though...never refer to them as 'missile launchers.' You definitely want to go with 'rocket launchers'...as referring to a weapon with a word containing 'miss' is just askin' for trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navar89
if I hang out with you any more I just might pick up 40K...You, sir, are dangerous.

Holy shit, I've a plog again!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-08, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyalist42 View Post
Very nice; I definitely like the drybrushed guns better.

A word of warning, though...never refer to them as 'missile launchers.' You definitely want to go with 'rocket launchers'...as referring to a weapon with a word containing 'miss' is just askin' for trouble
Thanks, most opinion is to stick with the dry brushed guns they are more realistic looking.

As for the Rocket Launcher good point on that one I'm sure I'll curse the day I wrongly labeled them...damn now I've got a phobia of the word.. mis... heck I can't even say it now....
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-08, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Here is my special weapons for two of my tactical squads.

I'm thinking the Plasma Guns need something else other wise they are the same color as my bolters

(Though I did dry brush on some tin bit around the muzzle to represent the heat)

Last edited by TrentLanthier; 05-30-08 at 03:43 AM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-08, 10:02 AM

magician847's Flag is: United Kingdom

i advise doing the little pads on the butt of the plasma guns a vivid yellow or red, and adding a blue basecoat and then a purple wash to the plasma coils, and a bit of a brown wash (heat damage) at the fron of the gun

Apostles Of Vengeance Truescale Space Marines:
Sergeant Sigorn: 99%
Tactical Squad Themis: 10%

Follow them here

Void Miniatures Commissions Service

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode