The Great Company of Bjorn Stormwolf - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-12, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

The_Hive_Emperor's Flag is: USA

Default The Great Company of Bjorn Stormwolf

Hey everybody! After several months (and a massive Simple Green bath) I am finally painting my Space Wolf army again. I decided my great company would be Bjorn Stormwolf's because well one I didn't have any golden yellow, and I like his fluff! So with out further ramblings I present my first completed Grey Hunter

I should have another model up soon (these models are coming along rather quickly) until then please C&C!

[EDIT] I just noticed I didn't do the purity seal on his leg *facepalm* so he's not quite done....I'll fix that shortly

Blood Angels(3000-4000pts)- W11-L4-D6 (Plog updated 1/30/12)
Tyranids(750 pts)- W3-L1-D1
Space Wolves(about 1200 pts) W4-L1-D1 (Plog updated 2/15/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-12, 08:23 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Not a bad start. It does need a bit of work though. First and foremost, mold lines. They are especially visible on the helmet and back pack. It's as simple as just running a blade along the lines to flatten them out. I think the whole model could do with a black wash after the highlights just to tone them down a bit. A brown wash on the gold of the bolter would help as well.

Finally, the little details need to be painted. You've already noticed the purity seal, and it looks like the vents on the back pack haven't been painted either. As I said though, a solid start.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-12, 08:42 PM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

Another Bjorn Stormwolf great company, excellent, you chose the right one

I'm with Khorne's Fist in that I think the mini needs a black wash over it to tone it down, but then, if you look at our armies we like our grey dark, so we're biased

I think you're off to a great start, and the free hand wolf on the shoulder is a solid piece of work, I envy you in that respect as my free hand is rubbish!

My only suggestion is to try adding a bit more to your minis otherwise you'll end up with a mass of grey... maybe a red knee pad or fist or some of the helmet details?

Looking forward to seeing this company grow

Rev

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-12, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments guys. I have given these models a Badab wash in the past and I didn't like it (part of the reason for the Simple Green bath I mentioned), so that probably mean's I'm doing something wrong How would you guys suggest that I go about washing the model?

Khorn's Fist, I don't know why I ignored those vents, I guess I've gotten to used to Jump packs, I'll get on that!

TheReverend Bjorn's company is the best one! Let us go belch and fart at Imperial dignitaries as battle brothers! But, I will defiantly be adding some splashes of color to my, this fellow was kind of a proto type, to see if my free had is solid enough to paint a thunderwolf on the paldurons of an entire army. My next model (who should be done late tonight or tomorrow, so I should have him posted tomorrow or Tuesday) has ornamentation fitting of a Grey Hunter! And I look forward to you comments on bettering my growing company!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-12, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Just put the final touches on the first model and his squad mate! And here they are

The incomplete side....completed!

And the new model

I think I'm going to work on my MotF model next, I'm not sure when he'll be done though. At the latest it will be done by next week (hopefully).

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-12, 06:44 PM

Skari's Flag is: Canada

very nice. Have you tried using any of the GW washes? They work great at making all the detail on a model pop. I suggest you try it out sometime :D
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-12, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

I have a pair of washes, I use them most on purity seals and jump pack exhaust. I tried using them on full models before but it looked awful. I'm probably doing something wrong. Do you know where I can find examples of washes done right? Or the techniques for doing it right?

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-12, 07:38 PM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

THE (that's a snazzy acronym right there! ), have a look at my project log, or Khorn's Fists for examples of wolves (there are a few other good ones, just search for space wolves) to see how we use the washes on our armies. If they are GW's washes (not inks) then just slap on the Badab Black liberally and let it dry naturally. If that's too dark for you, you could water it down about 25:75 water:wash, which is what I am dong these days.

alternatively you could use a thin brush and just carefully apply it in the crevices.

those new minis are looking good and certainly more colourful! Keep it up.
Rev
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-12, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure if I want to admit how long it took me to figure out the THE is me

I'll give the thin brush technique a try, I wish I had pictures of the last time I did a total model Badab wash (now granted I wasn't using this paint scheme). The wash wasn't even anywhere, thick some places, thin in others, with no pattern (like thin on shins, thick on feet or whatever). But I will definitely give your log another look for reference! Thanks for the help Rev

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-12, 01:06 AM

Skari's Flag is: Canada

The best way to use washes is to cover the model after the basecoat colours then allow to dry, and then go over again with the base coat leaving the shadows that the wash creates.

Cheers!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode