My Little Pony Space marines - Updated 9/11/12 - Page 20 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #191 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-13-12, 05:55 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Looking good. Here's some inspiration for you

Weird, didn't want to imbed...

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Last edited by Galahad; 07-13-12 at 06:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-14-12, 08:32 AM
Feed

Well that was certainly an interesting effect using metallics.

Consider experimenting by simply adding small amounts of silver or something to the colour. It may be a tad less overpowering. That's generally the method I use.

Also Gal, that was... awesome.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #193 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-14-12, 08:50 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

@Galahad: I thought I'd seen all the mash ups, good find. It reminds me that with my projects mostly done, I have to finish my story.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log

post #194 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-14-12, 09:03 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicrel Seijin View Post
@Galahad: I thought I'd seen all the mash ups, good find. It reminds me that with my projects mostly done, I have to finish my story.
Yea. You do.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #195 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-14-12, 05:22 PM

Azezel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yes - you did put the Metallic Medium on a tad thick - like any other paint (okay, it's not technically paint, but you know) it almost always needs to be thinned before application.

Not that it doesn't look good - just not what I had in mind when I suggested it.

Re: Spike's flamer. As a Sisters of Battle player I've painted a ton of flamers in my life and I always think they look better with some good schorch-marks on the nozzle.

Give it a wide drybrush of light brown, then a narrower drybrush of dark brown near the tip, then a final drybrush of black right at the tip.

Looking for a friendly wargaming club on the Isle of Wight? Drop me a line.

Sisters of Battle - The Order of Glory Undimmed - 2'500 Points | High Elves - House Cyredeth - 2'500 Points | Bretonnians - The Muster of Sir Jules Estelle - 3'000 Points
post #196 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-15-12, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Pony Marine Master

Angelofdeath690's Flag is: Japan

When i do it for Luna's effect ill be sure to thin it out a bit lol. I agree on the thickness, i didn't think it was going to come out that way when i saw it on the brush.

As for the video, i love it Galahad.

Az do you have any pics of your flamers? I have a vague idea of what you suggested but ive not done burn marks before.
post #197 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-15-12, 11:20 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Yea. You do.
Part 2 is in rough draft form. Part 2 covers Twilight's arrival in town to just after the luncheon with AJ and the rest of the Apple family. (I still need to ID all the food.) I'll finish it up after I'm done painting Zodgrod.

@AoD: re: pics of flamers with scorch marks. Yes, you've seen them. Crack open the SM codex to the picture gallery. The flamers (and meltas) have scorch marks on their barrels.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #198 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-15-12, 07:36 PM

Azezel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelofdeath690 View Post
When i do it for Luna's effect ill be sure to thin it out a bit lol. I agree on the thickness, i didn't think it was going to come out that way when i saw it on the brush.

As for the video, i love it Galahad.

Az do you have any pics of your flamers? I have a vague idea of what you suggested but ive not done burn marks before.
I don't have any Flamer pictures handy, but I used the same effect on my Canonness's Inferno Pistol. Black at the tip, fading to brown.

Note also the highlighting with Metalic Medium on both the gold and silver parts. Nice and thin so it's shiny, but not obvious.

Looking for a friendly wargaming club on the Isle of Wight? Drop me a line.

Sisters of Battle - The Order of Glory Undimmed - 2'500 Points | High Elves - House Cyredeth - 2'500 Points | Bretonnians - The Muster of Sir Jules Estelle - 3'000 Points
post #199 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-16-12, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Pony Marine Master

ok seeing that i can see what i can do to mimic it for the flamer. As for the medium, if i do things with metal design like parts of her armor i will try the thinned out one. The obviousness is probably better for the cloak tho XD so i guess it sorta worked out in the end.
post #200 of 243 (permalink) Old 07-30-12, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Pony Marine Master

And I am back from my trip, well technically i did come back earlier in the week but I have been busy with cleaning and a bit of painting happily. I have to say my visit to a few GW stores were very good and i got a bunch of stuff I haven't been able to get elsewhere back here. Anyways back to why people are here!

I got to fixing up the flamer on spike and although its not as small a point as the sister's flamer in the pic.

I think it came out not to bad considering the brown is hard to see on the brass.

On to the finishing up of Celestia. I wanna get her done right and so i will be doing some of the cleaning up and washes after I get everything else down finished lol.

I am thinking of adding the metal mixture to the halo on the back as that is acting as her cutie mark. I couldn't bend the metal sadly to make it look more like the proper sun.

I think the cotton came out well on the base to make it look like she is floating above the air without having to mount it on an elevated stand. I need to add some wash to the armor and clean it up then i can at the very least say I am happy with it and begin work on the next part of the army. (I do need to get on those regular marines which will be background ponies and stuff XD) Any comments are welcome.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode