The suspense is killing me - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Turnip86's Flag is: England

Default The suspense is killing me

So, as my avatar suggests, I live in the land of poles. Normally this is great as it's cheap to live and I have a steady income well over the national average as a native teacher of English. However, this also sucks donkey testicles because all of my wargames stuff is back in England and during a recent visit there I somehow got dragged back into the hobby after a 5 year hiatus.

Now, I've been selling old stuff on the wonderful world of ebay (mostly my old LOTR models and some blood bowl stuff) to fund a fresh start over here. So last week I put in an order with my local (local in England anyway) games store and am now eagerly anticipating the arrival of:

Order.jpg

As well as this small order to start my paint collection, I also have a few Vallejo paints on order from another store and have bought a few still in blister models from ebay including a Mordheim Vampire, one of the old eldar avatars and the elf mage from IoB. Oh - and resin bases ;)

The idea is to model and paint these guys up trying out new techniques along the way and then maybe start an army of something I like the look of, or just get my Ogre's, Nids or BA's sent over to finish off and get a few games in.

If I'm missing anything from my shopping list let me know :D

Edit: Apologies for not having any pics of actual figures, the waiting is akin to christmas as a 5 year old and I need to feel like I'm doing something proactive. I'll update with pics of the unboxing and cleaning up of the finecast models - It'll be my first foray into the world of finecast and I'm hoping it doesn't all go tits-up on me. In fact speaking of finecast problems, I haven't ordered any greenstuff... bollocks.

Edit 2: My figures actually had an attempted delivery on Tuesday, BUT the Polish post is a bit shit and they never even take packages with them on rounds and then claim that you didn't answer the door when they tried to deliver so you have to go and pick it up. Work appears to have gotten in the way of that so far but finally. Finally tomorrow morning I'll be able to pick them up :D

Last edited by Turnip86; 11-09-11 at 10:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 01:05 PM

Brother Emund's Flag is: United Kingdom

"The Galaxy is the Emperor's, and anyone or anything who challenges that claim is an enemy who must be destroyed"

However 'nid players from Poland are most welcome!

"Death occurs when a lethal projectile comes together in time and space with a suitable target, in the absence of appropriate armour or protection”

Check out my 40K 'Epic' about the Hunted verses the Inquisition: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...98#post2184698

post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 04:57 PM

Pretty sure you already know this, but just in case you don't, you'll want some superglue for the resin. It's always annoying when you get new stuff and realise you can't do anything with it due to lack of tools etc.

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafu View Post
Pretty sure you already know this, but just in case you don't, you'll want some superglue for the resin. It's always annoying when you get new stuff and realise you can't do anything with it due to lack of tools etc.
Luckily I have that covered, I actually know where to buy superglue here where as plastic glue, among other things, has been hard to track down but thanks for the tip ;)

Thinking back I've actually missed being accidentally superglued to various items.
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-03-11, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Right, so all my stuff is here and has been for a few days. I've just had a busy couple of weeks and haven't really had chance to look at the stuff let alone put anything together or paint.

So here's a nice picture of a box:

Now a couple of the resin bases I bought, they're volcanic but I think they look pretty good as worn flagstones too. I was testing out some different techniques and tried my hand at stippling for the first time. The lava isn't great on the other base, I somehow forgot to order any yellow paint and had to resort to mixing from orange.

Last pic is the hammer from the Empire Captain. It's supposed to have the initials KF but thanks to copious amount of flash it actually read '[]E' took me some time to make it readable. This is actually my first experience with finecast and while the model itself was in good order with no holes or cracks, the flash and mould lines were aweful. It took me ages to clean up completely but at least I didn't have to green stuff anything once it had been removed.

Anyway, not much of an update but it's a start. Feedback welcome and encouraged. Next update will be some finished mantic ghouls (pic below) - the free ones from the paint set - that I'll be testing myself on. I haven't properly painted miniatures for a long time (3 colour nids while I was back in the UK in the summer don't count) and getting back into isn't as easy as I thought.
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-12, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so after a hectic month I've finally got down to painting some stuff.

I made a bit of a mess trying out new techniques on the mantic ghouls so wont post up pics of them but they did give me some much needed practice.

Christmas was pretty good and I ended up with a package from home containing a second empire captain, some shiny new paintbrushes and a box of empire pistoliers which were all completely unexpected but now I guess I can turn this into more of an Empire plog ;)

Anyway, here's some pics of the first empire captain in progress. I'd rather get critiqued at this stage where it's easier to change things so bring on the pain.

Here's the front - Boots aren't finished yet and I haven't decided on a colour scheme for the cloth parts yet although purple and white is what I'm leaning towards at the moment.

Aaaaand the back. I'm pretty happy with how the cloak came out and the embroidery part will likely be gold

Anyway, small update but I have to start somewhere
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-12, 08:16 PM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

A great start back into the hobby!

I like the purple cloak, and well done with the gold armour, what was your technique? I hate painting gold but have just been pointed in the direction of Vellejo Liquid Gold, which apparently covers really well.

The freehand is really shaping up too, well done for being brave with that so soon back into the hobby
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-12, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Cheers Just so you know if by freehand you mean the comet on the cloak, that's just part of the model ;)

The gold was vallejo's tinny tin - or just tin bitz - over a black undercoat. Thin coat of army painter gold. Badab Black wash then highlight with the gold again. Pretty simple overall but I'm happy with how it came out
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-01-12, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

So, finally got this guy finished.

The left shoulder looks really messy here, I went back to it after I looked at the pic for the first time and it turns out the camera does lie! It really doesn't look like that

Next up is Castellan Crowe

Last edited by Turnip86; 02-01-12 at 03:30 PM.
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-12-12, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

OK, so last time I said Castellan Crowe was up next but I changed my mind and instead started building my pistoliers/outriders.

I couldn't choose which of the two units I wanted to make so decided to do both and hopefully have them interchangable. Now, as I said in the OP, I don't have much in the way of tools and I definitely don't have any magnet (yet) so I started by pinning the horses. This is quite painful when you don't have a drill small enough BUT I improvised with my penknife and a rather pointy screw.

I literally screwed an outrider in the ass.

Next was the weapons. The outriders have cloaks that are attached to the arm that steadies the repeater handgun while pistoliers just have 2 normal arms with no cloak so I'm going to have to replace everything but the body and legs when I change units. The heads also need to be changed, pistoliers are young and outriders are mostly older bearded guys so more pinning/magnetising ahead.

Small update really, just to show I'm getting there slowly but surely.

The arms aren't actually pinned yet so they won't be so loose once I'm done.

Edit: I've been busy today and pinned the whole unit. I'm not sure how I'm going to fix the arms, I'm thinking pins in the pistol arms and holes in body join and just leave the repeater arms as they are because they seem a fairly tight fit and they'll obviously cover any holes in the body.

Here's the unit as a whole with repeater handguns

And here's how they look unassembled

Last edited by Turnip86; 02-12-12 at 07:46 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode