The suspense is killing me - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-03-12, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Turnip86's Flag is: England

More pictures! (sorry )

The metal wizard's feet are dry so here he his propped up. Next on the to-do list for him is to model a hand onto the guitar/staff which I can then glue onto the arm. I'm pretty sure this is going to be the worst part as I've always been terrible at drawing hands, let alone building them from greenstuff. I'll then need to take a proper look at the cloak which still needs quite a lot of work doing to it before it's ready. Looking at how much modelling I'll be doing on this guy I can safely say he wont be my entry for the army painting challenge ;)

And pics of the free company complete with second rank. 3 still have zombie heads, but only one needs to be changes in my opinion (back rank middle). The other two can just look like grizzled veterans.

There's quite a few wooden legs in the unit, they used to be pirates after all

Guy in the middle needs to be literally fleshed out as he has a zombie torso but other than that I think the unit as it is look alive enough to be free company.

Comments welcome.

Edit: Quick question. I'm thinking of buying a war of the roses infantry box set or two from warlord games to use as halberdiers and archers. At 18 a box for 40 plastic figures that I can possibly use in my empire army it's a really good deal. So, have any of you encountered warlords products and could you recommend them to me or would I be better off with workshop stuff? I doubt I'll play in any tournaments and the store I play in stocks warlord anyway so if they're any good, finding games won't be an issue. Cheers in advance, Turnip

Last edited by Turnip86; 06-03-12 at 05:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-23-12, 07:47 PM

pchandler43's Flag is: USA

Just a heads up, your most recent pics aren't showing up, at least not on my end. Could be bandwidth issue with the hosting site maybe?

edit: nvm now they are. Looks great!

"From the darkness we strike: fast and lethal, and by the time our foes can react... darkness there and nothing more."
Raven Guard saying

Last edited by pchandler43; 06-24-12 at 04:37 AM.
post #43 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-23-12, 11:31 PM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

looking great turnip, i'm really looking forwards to seeing how the pirates come put when you are done with them. I wouldn't even bother fleshing out the middle guy, maybe they picked him up after he was shipwrecked on a desert island and he's still not put the weight back on.

post #44 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-29-12, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchandler43 View Post
edit: nvm now they are. Looks great!
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimzagGorwazza View Post
looking great turnip, i'm really looking forwards to seeing how the pirates come put when you are done with them. I wouldn't even bother fleshing out the middle guy, maybe they picked him up after he was shipwrecked on a desert island and he's still not put the weight back on.
Would definitely make life easier to leave him like that Good idea :D

Hopefully I'll get them primed and ready for my entry for the July painting challenge if I have time with moving flats.

Speaking of the painting challenge, here's my June entry finished.

A great cannon and my first war machine of the army! I have a good idea for some back story for it but I haven't really had chance to write it up yet in the same way as the spearmen but the gist of it is the cannon was on load from Nuln (hence black instead of white on the cannon) but was thought lost in battle, however it was salvaged by the engineers of Ostermark and restored to battle readiness - it's just no one bothered to tell the engineering school of Nuln ;) /yoink

I'll also be passing off the 2 crew members with the same head as twins, one deaf in the left ear and one deaf in the right ear from standing on opposite sides of the cannon.

Having seen a few other people's cannons I decided they were too clean so I've gone for a look of a cannon that has been fired a few times. I'm happy with the cannon itself but I might go back to the crew at some point and dirty them up properly.

Again bases are yet to be ordered/made but once I'm done with the militia I think I'll have a go at making a green stuff 'stamp' to make bases. I already have an outline done on some suitable material I just need to green stuff the pattern and let it set then I can production line my own bases

Let me know what you think I can take bad as well as good.
post #45 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-05-12, 10:44 AM

Hellados's Flag is: United Kingdom

love the paint scheme and the finish, if you are going to dirty them up i would leave it at the bits that would naturally get dirty, for example hands, faces, thighs

+ rep
post #46 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-13-12, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellados View Post
love the paint scheme and the finish, if you are going to dirty them up i would leave it at the bits that would naturally get dirty, for example hands, faces, thighs

+ rep
Thanks Looking back at them I think they're probably dirtied up enough and like you said it should be mainly hands and faces.

Well, bit of a random update today with some nice new pics. I've gone over my now living zombie pirates which makes them just ordinary boring pirates... wait... pirates are AWESOME and lets face it, who doesn't like pirates. I ended up giving the malnourished guy a shirt to cover himself up with and I've also 'fleshed out' the parrot on the one guy's shoulder so it actually looks like a parrot now and not just a blob of green stuff on a shoulder. The guy with the parrot also now has hair which to be honest makes him look like a young Dave Mustaine but unfortunately I don't have any pics of him to post up just yet.

Before clothing:

And after:

And now for the reason I called the update slightly random. Two things I've been working on today to do with my army, one is super-secret project x and the other is not. The 'is not' thing is something I decided to do after stumbling across a forum post that someone made regarding base 'stamps'. There's a company that makes ready to use stamps for bases so you basically smooth some green stuff (or miliput which is probably cheaper but I have no idea where to get any in Poland) over a base and press the stamp onto it to get your desired pattern. I immediately set out upon finding this information to do absolutely nothing for 3 weeks. 3 weeks later and I got round to making my own stamp. It's made from one of the GW finecast clamshell packs, a piece of paper that I drew the outline on and green stuff. And here's a before and after.

I'll be testing it over the weekend once it's completely cured. I made it so big so there's plenty of variety as that seemed to be the biggest problem with the one I saw for sale as it was pretty small. I just hope it works now ;)

Let me know what you think about anything
post #47 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-15-12, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Tested my new base stamp today and I'm actually quite happy with the results. Here are some pics. Second pic is taken with a base I made without the stamp for comparison (the non stamped base is on the middle left).

I like the stamped bases as they look more rugged than the sculpted one which makes them more realistic... well, in my opinion ;)

I'll post up some painted pics when I get them done and then obviously update with my newly based spearmen. The only problem is that I have to come face to face with that age old question. How the fuck do you rank up spearmen.
post #48 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-15-12, 06:08 PM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

Base stamp, that is an amazing idea. Great work!

post #49 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-17-12, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Angel View Post
Base stamp, that is an amazing idea. Great work!
Cheers, I can't take all the credit for the idea of the stamp though ;)

Here's a few pics of all the units I've done so far with their new shiny bases. I've painted them in the same style as the BSB's base which is basically;

Heavy drybrush dark grey > Light drybrush light grey > Wash black > Stipple mud coloured brown > Stipple 50/50 mix of mud coloured brown and bone > Stipple pure bone.

Apologies for the picture quality, my other half stole the camera today for work and it ran out of battery and we have no idea where the charger is after moving house a couple of weeks ago I'll even throw in a whole army pic at the end. I always like seeing other people's full army shots in their plogs so why not encourage the practice in my own plog :D

post #50 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-17-12, 11:02 PM

elmir's Flag is: Belgium

Oh, that's coming together quite nicely. Are you planning on doing the sides of the bases in any particular colour? Also, Enjoy some rep for the effort and the nice conversion and GS work!

I had an AMAZING time at fightclub.

I arrived a bit late, so I missed the introductions, but man... I had an awesome time at fightclub! 10/10 I would recommend fight club to anybody!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode