Space Marines - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-06-11, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

dborgeslfc's Flag is: USA

Default Space Marines

Ok, so I love that I can document my progress on here, so that's exactly what I'm going to do. Keep in mind, I am completely new at this, and I know I have a lot of improvement to do.

I've started with Space Marines as my very first 40k army, and so far I love it. My roommates are also getting started (you'll see a guest appearance by some Tyranids in one of the photos) and we've been having a blast painting together. I have about 1000 points from the Black Reach set and also the SM Battleforce, and I decided to go with an Ultramarines color scheme, even though in the end this army won't be Ultramarines. (Perhaps a successor chapter of theirs with many similarities, though.) I also haven't done anything with the bases yet, and I'm not sure I will. I like pretending the bases aren't there, and adding stuff to them sometimes looks cluttered. But who knows. (You can also see the progress that I have been making on painting the terrain in the attached photos.)

A few questions I have for anyone that wishes to help though: What is the best way to paint insignia? You'll notice my marines don't have any, and that's partly because I don't know what they are yet, and partly because I such at doing details freehand. Any tips on painting on squad numbers, etc would be appreciated. I'd rather not use decals.

I'm also pretty happy with the color, but it does look a little flat. (Ultramarines blue over Mordian blue) Any suggestions on washes that I can use to perhaps highlight the color and give more detail?

Also, any tips on sealing the figures somehow once they're complete? I'd like to protect them once they're finished, and I'm not sure how to do that.

I still have figures to assemble and basecoat, but I should have more pictures coming up soon. Working on a scout squad right now.

Thanks for any tips/comments, and for stopping by this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0142L.jpg (140.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0145L.jpg (98.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0147L.jpg (122.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0153L.jpg (147.4 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-06-11, 07:34 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

It looks pretty good by my books
The one comment I'll make is that the colours look a little flat, and so would benefit from a wash or too such as Devlan Mud or Badab Black. This would give the models some tone and shadow.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-06-11, 07:59 PM

troybuckle's Flag is: Canada

Hi and welcome to heresy. Nice kick off to you P-log, I will try and answer some questions.

Freehand – this takes a lot of time and practice, there is no down a dirty quick way. A few tips would be to use a very fine brush and thinned paints to complete an outline then fill it in with layers.

Washing – You can use the washes as mentioned, but it will darken the models. Try using Asurmen Blue, it should give you some nice shading over what you have. You can also try to put some ice-blue edging highlights, then wash it all with the blue. (Quick, highlight/shade tip)

Protecting your Minis – I highly recommend “Army Painter Anti-shine Mat Varnish,” in my experience it is the best and most trustworthy. I have had some bad experience with GW protecting products.

Also, I know you don’t want to use decals, but if you do the following you will have amazing results and won’t know it was a decal. (Cut decal as close to graphic as possible.)

1. Coat the area you want to apply the decal in “Gloss Varnish.”
2. Next spread “Testors Decal Set” on the area where the decal will be applied.
3. Place decal on area and coat with Tesor Decal Set, and leave to completely dry.
4. Spray with anti-shine mat varnish and you will never know it was a decal.

+ Rep for your work so far!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-06-11, 10:15 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

I think Troy has covered pretty well any advice you might need as a beginner. By the looks of your efforts so far though, I don't think it'll take much to elevate you from beginner status. Nice neat and smooth finish on these guys so far. You're SM statue could do with a few washes of Devlan Mud though.

I will say though that leaving bases bare really makes even the best painted models look incomplete. Even if it's something as simple as painting the rim of the base brown and gluing some modelling sand to the base, the small investment in time can really help with the overall look of the army.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-06-11, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the advice, this is the main reason I came to these boards. It's nice to get some feedback on my technique as I try new things. By all means, keep the comments coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troybuckle View Post
I highly recommend “Army Painter Anti-shine Mat Varnish,” in my experience it is the best and most trustworthy. I have had some bad experience with GW protecting products.
Army Painter is the brand, yes? Is it a spray or brush on? Is there a better way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
You're SM statue could do with a few washes of Devlan Mud though.
Ha, I know. It just looks SO amazing with the bronze. But yeah, I need to age it considerably. It is supposed to be a ruin, after all. (But it's shiny!)

Ok, so new pics as well. I finished my scout squad tonight, so I'm posting a pic. They've been nicknamed the "Rainbow Squad" as it is my first attempt to try different skin tones on figures. (Rainbow as in racial diversity of course!) I also have the basecoat on my assault squad, and they're ready for some more paint. I'll be working on these guys this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0327L.jpg (139.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0332L.jpg (128.3 KB, 4 views)

Please visit my Space Marine project log https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...78#post1101078
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 01:04 AM

Minizke1's Flag is: USA

I love the political correctness of that Scout Squad. +rep for not being a racist.

Win/loss record for The Fists of Vengeance- 20 - 1 - 8.
Hive Fleet Kraken- 7 - 2
The Unnamed Clan- 0 - 0 - 0
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 01:08 AM

Minizke1's Flag is: USA

Oh, and one thing. on the scouts you may want to pay attention to the pouches on the carapace armor. you painted them blue. also, the body of the chainswords may look better if you left them black and painted the teeth boltgun metal. it's a pain to paint so many different colors at times, but it's best to pay attention to smaller details.

Win/loss record for The Fists of Vengeance- 20 - 1 - 8.
Hive Fleet Kraken- 7 - 2
The Unnamed Clan- 0 - 0 - 0

Last edited by Minizke1; 11-07-11 at 12:39 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 02:00 AM
Jeep's and Harley's

OIIIIIIO's Flag is: USA

I have found that Ogryn Flesh wash on Elf Flesh?!? I think it is; makes skin look very good. I personally try to stay away from skin and all of my marines wear helmets ... not much you can do with the scouts though. I like to clear coat my marines so that they look wet, but I take a huge amount of flak for it on the boards here ( look into my log and you will see ). You could use the same thing that I used on my buddies Imp. Guard. Krylon Crystal Clear Matte finish. Rather cheap at $3 a can and you can pick it up at Walmart.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minizke1 View Post
I love the political correctness of that Scout Squad. +rep for not being a racist.
I've honestly never seen any black/brown Space Marines, and that makes me sad. Flipping through the codex, they're all white dudes. And I've done some research, and I understand that one of their special implants allows them to alter their skin tone to fight off radiation, but still, I thought my Marines should be a group that is selected from a world that is as diverse as our own. (Still don't know what this chapter will be called, or what their background will be, however.) Plus, it did give me the opportunity to try out different skin tones rather than just paint them all Elf Flesh and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minizke1 View Post
Oh, and one thing. on the scouts you may want to pay attention to the pouches on the carapace armor. you painted them blue. also, the body of the chainswords may look better if you left them black and painted the teeth boltgun metal. it's a pain to paint so many different colors at times, but it's best to pay attention to smaller details.
For the chainswords, I wanted the swords/weapons of squad leaders (like the Scout Sergeant) to stand out a bit. So he gets a weapon that looks a little bit more like it belongs in the hands of a leader. When it comes to others, I do the weapons a little more "basic" if you will. For example, when I move on to the Assault Squad, they all have chainswords, and will likely be painted black/boltgun as you've described. I just wanted to add a little something extra to those in a position of leadership.

For the pouches, I liked the blue for more of a "uniform" look. (See what I did there? ) I did paint the sidearm holsters to look leather, so they do stand out a bit. But the other pouches I wanted to match the upper armor.

Please visit my Space Marine project log https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...78#post1101078
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-11, 03:42 AM

excellent work for a first army! I love seeing cleanly painted Utramarines successors. I agree with Troybuckle's advice on techniques to take your painting to the next level if you want to. washes and drybrushing are very effective when done right.

is that a citadel gaming mat you've used as a game surface?
what are you thinking of naming your chapter?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode