Eccentric Miniatures 13th Century Knights - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-20-13, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Default Eccentric Miniatures 13th Century Knights

Hey guys, Reaper here with another product review. This time, the folks over at Eccentric Miniatures kindly sent a box of their 13th centaury knights.

For those who haven’t heard of them, Eccentric are a new company who make small plastic sprues.

So first let’s take a look at the sprues that come in the box.

I really like how all the sprues come in this nice, compact, box. It’s simple and probably pretty cheap to do as well.

First up we have two different leg sprues, one made up of right foot forward legs, the other with the left foot forward.

Next is a sprue of torsos.

A sprue of arms.

Two shield sprues.

A head sprue.

Two weapon sprues, the mace sprue is new and not usually included in the box.

And a sprue of bases.

So now you’ve seen the sprues, let’s move onto some scores:

Character

Unfortunately, there isn’t a great deal of character in these miniatures. They’re easily recognisable as 13th century templar knights, but they aren’t very dynamic so lack the “heroic” aspect I like to see in my templar knights. They’d be ideal for a huge templar army to fill out units and get more boots on the ground. But at the moment, without conversion work, I wouldn’t say they’re front rank worthy.

Luckily, I had some spare bits left from my fire forge review and put on a few fire forge arms which went a long way to making the models less box-like.

Character gets a 5/10

Detail

The detail is a little hit and miss on these guys. The heads and torsos are all nicely detailed and the shields are great too. But the legs, because they are in two pieces and join up the middle, can be a little strange looking. That’s not too much of an issue for me as mince are painted in a quarter scheme so the colours are split down the centre of the legs, which means that spilt is useful for getting a nice straight line. Also, the surcoats over the legs all fall very exactly, there isn’t a lot of “flow” in them.

The place this kit is let down most is in the arms and weapons. The detail on the chainmail of the arms and legs isn’t fantastic, but it’s not the worst I’ve seen either, but the lack of dynamic poses for arms means all the models are walking very box-like, almost robotic. Also the way the hand joins the arm makes the wrists look very stiff. Again, that wouldn’t be too much of a problem if there was more variation in pose.

Detail gets a 6/10

Quality

The quality of the miniatures is really nice. Everything is cast up in cleanly and I’ve not really found any mould lines. I did have a bit of a problem gluing some of the pieces together because the plastic is so smooth it’s difficult to get a bond with superglue. It may also have been due to the quality of my superglue. Either way, probably be better to use plastic glue to ensure and nice strong bond.

Quality gets a 9/10

Value And Service

This box comes in at $16 for 16 miniatures, which is very reasonable. However, the lack of poses and variety is somewhat of a problem when you have the likes of fire forge offering their 13th century infantry for near as damn it $1 per model too. That being said, these are still good value is you’re looking to fill out your ranks quickly and cheaply.

The service was excellent from Eccentric. They responded to my messages quickly and the package arrived from the US to the UK in about a week which I’d consider pretty quick for a small company, or a large company really. I was very pleased.

Value and service gets a 7/10

So overall the Eccentric Knights get a 6.75/10

For a first offering from a new company, that’s producing hard plastic no less, I think Eccentric have done a good job. The models are nice and cheap, despite being in plastic from a small company. I also really like the sprue design and presentation and how they are packaged.

They’ve already brought out a new sprue (the mace sprue) so it looks like they can produce new sprues quite quickly which means hopefully they’ll be able to do more dynamic legs (so they’re not all just marching), with more flowing lower surcoats, and new arms with more dynamic posing.

I’ll be keeping an eye on Eccentric and look forward to what sort of things they produce in the future.

To end, here are some pictures. I wanted to paint up a few of them before the review so I could see how they paint up. They take the paint easy enough and look good enough. I think if there was more flow in the lower half they’d be a bit more interesting but overall, no problem to paint.

This first guy just uses parts from the box:

The second has a fireforge right and left arm, the shield is still eccentric though.

And this last guy has fireforge right and left arm, eccentric shield and perry mounted men at arms sword on his side. I think this guy is the best example of how a few alternative pieces can improve the look.

And a scale picture with the LotR boromir and a marine:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-21-13, 10:04 PM

Great review, they look like pretty decent models too! Would be excellent for brettonians, even just by adding a box to a unit of men at arms really. Not sure if theyl still scale up to the newer larger scale (all be it fractionally) fantasy miniatures GW are producing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode