Kabuki Miniatures - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-03-12, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Default Kabuki Miniatures

Greetings, reaper once again with another product review for you. Today we will be reviewing Kabuki Miniatures, specifically the “Fool”, “Sci Fi Napoleon”, “Ikazuchi No Tora” and “The Steel Knight”

Each model comes in a nice little blister with a picture of the mini and some foam.

I’ll break each section down by model, then an overall score.

Character

Ikazuchi No Tora

I really like this model, his pose is brace and ready to fend off a horde of enemies and I think the diorama style base is really nice too. No Tora gets a 10/10

The steel Knight

In terms of character, I actually think the Steel knight is the weakest of the bunch. If it wasn’t for his name I think I wouldn’t be able to tell which of the “not primarchs” he is. This is mainly because of his feral expression and chaosy looking cloak. The Steel knight gets a 7/10

The Fool

I’ve loved the fool miniature since I first saw it, and I think a lot of the model’s character comes from his dynamic pose, leaping forward into battle. The fool gets a 10/10

Napoleon

Napoleon is perhaps my favourite of all of the models that Kabuki produce. I think this model oozes character, from the strength of his pose to the expression on his face. Napoleon gets a 10/10

Character gets an overall 9.25/10

Detail

Ikazuchi No Tora

Unfortunately I think No Tora is probably the worst of the bunch for detail. All the details on him are nicely sculpted and neat, but I simply don’t think there is enough. Samurai, even sci fi ones, should be loaded with detail and ornate armour and that isn’t carried over in this model. He has thigh armour in the style of samurai armour but I think more could have done to make him seem much more ornate.

I also think his sword was too thin. I appreciate that the sculptor has tried to emulate the grace and size of an actual katana, but this comes at the price of durability. The sword is very bendy and looks like it would snap easily.

Ikazuchi No Tora gets a 6/10

The steel Knight

What the steel knight might lack somewhat in character, he more than makes up for In detail. This miniature is full of excellent details.

The body in particular is full of eagles, skulls and ornate patterns. In fact, the body is so nice I think I’m going to use it as the base for an Emperor model.
The arms however, I find lacking. Both of them look too rigid and don’t share the same level of detail as the body. So I’ll probably use some different arms to make my emperor. I also think the head and backpack lack the regal nature of the body, instead looking much more feral and savage.

The Steel knight gets an 8/10

The Fool

The detailing on the fool is great. Particularly on the back of the model where he has vents for some fort of jetpack I assume.

My only qualm with the detailing of the fool is his left leg. The way his calf and thigh are squashed together is far too organic (as in the blend into one another) than it should be for someone wearing plated armour. I have stormtrooper armour and I can tell you right now you wouldn’t be able to get your leg to do that.

Even though I have a minor niggle, the fool still gets an 8/10

Napoleon

Like pretty much all Kabuki minis, the detail on Napoleon is excellent. The expression the sculptor has managed to work into the face is really nice. You can tell that this guy is tough as nails, even if he wasn’t wearing his heavy armour.
The armour on this guy is much more high sci fi in line with infinity than the grimdark of 40k.
Special mention goes to his coat. Log coats are awesome, and when you wear them over armour, it’s even cooler!

Napoleon gets a 10/10

Overall detail gets an 8/10

Quality

Ikazuchi No Tora

Like all the other models, Ikazuchi No Tora was cleanly cast with no mould lines to speak of. However, the assembly for this model was a bit of a nightmare. Both arms are meant to go into sockets on the body, but the right arm doesn’t really fit properly and as a result the join was very weak.

The same sort of problem occurred at the join of the hand. The forearm has a small protrusion designed to go into a hole in the hand, however, the hole in the hand was too small so it wouldn’t join properly and I had to cut it down.

I had a similar problem with the thigh armour. The model is supposed to be wearing a coat that goes over part of the thigh armour, but because the thigh armour is straight, when the piece is on the model it doesn’t look right

Because of the issues with assembly, Ikazuchi gets a 5/10

Napoleon

Napoleon is a clean cast miniature with pretty much no mould lines to speak of. He’s a one piece model so there’s no awkward assembly either. He gets a 10/10

The Fool

Like Napoleon, the fool is cleanly cast with crisp details and no mould lines. However, both of his arms were difficult to attach to his body and connections could have been more pronounced to give a better fit.

The fool gets an 8/10

The steel Knight

The quality of the steel knight is great. It’s made from resin, not metal and all the detail is crisply cast with no mould lines. Because it’s resin, assembly is also much easier than the metal models.

The steel knight gets a 10/10

Quality gets an 8.25/10

Value and Service

These miniatures are reasonably priced and the service I got was excellent. Only took the package a few days to arrive from Italy.

Value and service gets a 10/10

So overall Kabuki gets 8.875/10. They make some excellent miniatures that would make great proxies in 40k. There are a few issues with assembly but it’s nothing some pinning and greenstuff can’t fix.

To finish off, here are some pictures:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-08-12, 11:08 AM

Warlord_Winters's Flag is: USA

whys the American gotta be the fool? lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode