Perry Miniatures Mounted Men at Arms - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-12, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Default Perry Miniatures Mounted Men at Arms

Greetings Heretics, Reaper here with another miniature review.

Iím particularly excited today to bring you a review for one of Perry miniatures newest kits, the mounted men at arms:

The guys at Perry were kind enough to send me a box and Iíve got to say, it certainly is stuffed full of plastic.

You get two types of sprue: 4 horse sprues with three horses on each, and 3 men at arms sprues with four minis on each.

You also get a sprue of Renedra bases and a nice little booklet with some historical information and different banners to use in historical games:

So letís move onto the review:

Character

This kit allows you to make a cavalry unit from Europe in 1450-1500, and itís full of nice little pieces. Iím no historian but all the armour looks spot on to me. These models are probably going to look almost exactly like the image of full plate knights that you have in your head.

Character gets a 10/10

Detail

This kit is loaded with detail. You get four different rider bodies, each with slightly different armour. You get three heads for the horse on the horse sprue, plus three armoured ones on the rider sprue. You get two complete barding on each rider sprue, plus another two on each sprue to give a slightly less armoured look.

Each sprue comes with a wide variety of weapons including lances. Swords, hammers axes and maces, so thereís a wealth of equipment options.

My one main issue with this kit is the lack of shields! There are no shields in this kit. Luckily, I had 12 shields left over from my FireForge review and was able to use them easily enough. I also used one of the spare cloaks from that kit on my unit champion and one of the banners.

Special mention must go to the sheer number of bitz you get in this kit. Each sprue has 12 heads, 12 arms and more than 12 weapons. Meaning you are left with a massive wealth of bits for other projects!

Detail gets an 8/10

Quality

The cast quality of this kits is excellent. Everything you can normally expect from Renedra Ė small mould lines and clear definition. The kit was also really easy to put together too. Although, all those arms made it a little difficult to find the right on for the pose!

Quality gets an 10/10

Value And Service

Like my other reviews, Iíll base this on how I would have felt buying these minis.

This kit costs £18, which is about the standard for non GW plastic cavalry, and itís worth every penny. Your money is going to get you a nice looking unit and a wealth of extra bits.

The kit was shipped quickly and arrived pretty sharpish too, so no problems there.

Value and service gets a 10/10.

This kit was a pleasure to work on and was my first perry plastic kit. They have the reputation as one of the best for a reason and this kit shows it.

Really, my only problem with the whole kit was the lack of shields. I would have liked the smaller barding pieces to just be full plate barding, but thatís because Iím lazy!

Overall the Perry Mounted Men at Arms get a 9.5/10

And to finish, here are some pictures of my kit built.

This first unit will be used in my human kings of war army, hence why there are only actually 7 models in the 10 man unit.

The spare five are going to be soul reaver knights in my undead kings of war army. A couple of revenant head swaps and a different paint job and theyíll look smashing.

And lastly, a comparison shot with a FireForge knight and a GW knight of the realm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-12, 07:52 AM
Banned
VanquisherMBT's Flag is: England

Allot of model manufacturers who do HYW and 1500 era cavalry seem to have no shields, or very few with, I tried searching for historical reasons, but you can gues what searching for 1450-1500 cavalry constantly brought up.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-12, 12:27 PM

Default Great Review

Thanks for posting that review. I liked your pictures and I was glad to hear your opinions of the product. It sounds like you are making good use of the miniatures. Best wishes.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-12, 01:49 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherMBT View Post
Allot of model manufacturers who do HYW and 1500 era cavalry seem to have no shields, or very few with, I tried searching for historical reasons, but you can gues what searching for 1450-1500 cavalry constantly brought up.
I tried to find something out, but there is nothing that has any dates connected. However from what I can deduce by the 16th century sheilds were quite small if used at all when wearing battle plate, but tournament plate
was designed to incorperate a sheild. I will look into this more when I have more time.

Great review reaper. The models do look great quality and I like the dynamic poses you have been able to create. They seem a lot better than the poses possible with GW knights.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-12, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
I tried to find something out, but there is nothing that has any dates connected. However from what I can deduce by the 16th century sheilds were quite small if used at all when wearing battle plate, but tournament plate
was designed to incorperate a sheild. I will look into this more when I have more time.

Great review reaper. The models do look great quality and I like the dynamic poses you have been able to create. They seem a lot better than the poses possible with GW knights.
My only problem with poses is that you get two arms on each sprue that have the lance attached and in the classic charging position. But it's difficult to get the other arms to look right in this position because the elbow is always in the wrong place. So if you wanted them all with the lance down, it may be a little difficult.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode