Mantic Corporation - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-12, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Default Mantic Corporation

Mantic Games recently released their 28mm sci fi humans, the corporation. I picked some up a few weeks ago and thought I'd post up a review.

I want to point out that this review is my opinion and not everyone will agree with me.

Detail

Let's begin with detail. A lot of people think that mantic's products are poor and lack detail, well these certainly don't! Their made from "restic" which despite being thought of as a resin, I'm pretty sure it is just plastic that is made differently, giving it the detail properties of resin, but other plastic properties. It's not as easy to cut as regular plastic, but it's not too harmful if you inhale it (if you're into that sort of thing)

These minis are packed with so much detail. The casts are really well done with overall few mould lines. They look like generic sci fi humans in flak armour with laser guns, but the nice thing that separates them from imperial guard, lets say: They have a lot of kit on them, pouches and grenades and knives (which aren't massive like the IG ones)

Stylistically they look like a sort of cross between cadians and elysians, leaning more towards elysians. So they're perfect stand ins.

They are realistically scaled, so are more in line with the FW stuff but still look fine next to normal GW minis.

Here's a shot of the components found in the veteran kit.

Detail get's a 10/10

Pose-ability

This is where the biggest let down comes with this kit. In the regular marine kit you'll get 20 guys, including parts to make 2(?) sergeants, but the rest of the guys are armed with standard rifles. The arms and heads aren't attached so there is a degree of poseability there, but only a finite amount. Hopefully mantic will do what it did with the forge fathers and release some alternate head/weapon packs to increase the number of poses available.

Now, this isn't too much of a problem for your standard army as most of them will be kitted with rifles anyway. But the more adventurous converter may be a little disappointed.

Pose-ability gets 5/10

Value

The RRP of the twin pack (20 models) is 24.99 making these ~1.25 a model. A 10 man squad of guard come in at 18, so 1.80 a model. Not a massive saving, but if you compare them to the FW elysians, who they look more like, which come in at 37 for ten, so 3.7 per mini, it's a good deal.

Value gets a 8/10

Overall: 7.6

Improvements

As said earlier, I'd like for there to be more options in the kit, but it's not too major a problem for me at the moment. And when it starts becoming a problem, I'll see about casting some alternate arms.

There is an issue with the heavy weapons troops. Originally, the gun was going to be on a little 15mm stand of its own, but somewhere down the line that got changed, so the arms of the gunner don't quite line up with the gun. You can do one of three things to solve this:

Heat the arms in warm water and bend them into position.

Cut the base from the gunner.

Raise the weapon up on some rocks or something similar.

I'll leave you then with a few pictures of the two guys I've finished in the last two days:

And lastly, the scale shot:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-12, 04:32 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

A thorough and balanced commentary.

Do you have any close up pictures of the heavy weapon troops to show the issue you raised with them?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-12, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
A thorough and balanced commentary.

Do you have any close up pictures of the heavy weapon troops to show the issue you raised with them?
The HW trooper is currently on my painting table, so once he's done, I'll take a picture. I've not made any alterations to him, so you should be able to see the problem!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-12, 04:38 PM

I agree with Dave, I'm not a huge fan of them myself but it's still a good review that focused on all the important areas of a miniature.

Regards,
Jake.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-12, 04:41 PM
Banned
VanquisherMBT's Flag is: England

Some of the arm poses are a little iffy from what I remember seeing of these, and I dislike the fist...but unlike mantics space dwarves, space rats and orks, I like them, best release so far from mantic in there 40k range....oops, I mean "not 40k range", like these "not elysians"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-12, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherMBT View Post
Some of the arm poses are a little iffy from what I remember seeing of these, and I dislike the fist...but unlike mantics space dwarves, space rats and orks, I like them, best release so far from mantic in there 40k range....oops, I mean "not 40k range", like these "not elysians"
On the ones I've built so far, there have been no problems with how the arm poses look. And unlike all the pre-release ones, none of the guns are bent

A note on the official photos; as is usual with a lot of mantic products, the pictures they have on their website are crap, and the paint jobs in general suck. In the "official" paint jobs, part of the boots have been painted as trousers *facepalm*. It's always best to try and find pictures of the bare miniature, or painted version by other people

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-12, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imm0rtal reaper View Post
In the "official" paint jobs, part of the boots have been painted as trousers *facepalm*.
It's always nice when a company is familiar with its' own models...

Regards,
Jake.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-12, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Icarus Miniatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Corsairs View Post
It's always nice when a company is familiar with its' own models...
Indeed!

I think the problem is that mantic isn't paying Golem for the top tier paint jobs for most of their minis. If you look at the Elf king, by Golem, it's amazing, a really great paint job. But pretty much all the warpath stuff has been a let down in terms of paint job.

Now I understand they want to save money on the paint jobs to make more models, but at the same time, if they spent more on painting and photography then they would sell more minis because more people would be attracted to them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode