Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Necrons being tomb Kings in space may not be a bad thing (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/99778-necrons-being-tomb-kings-space-may-not-bad-thing.html)

KhainiteAssassin 10-19-11 05:45 AM

Necrons being tomb Kings in space may not be a bad thing

Im ready to get flamed, but hear me out people!

the firs question we need to ask ourselves, will the "new" wraiths look good, or just be a refined version of the older ones? i dont know about the rest of you, but I didnt like the old wraiths that much, i mean they were cool, but they were not all that inspiring, to say the least, the old Flayed ones, on the other hand, they were inspiring.

but I digress, the reason for this post, is just me being random and saying, if the wraith look like shit, then these should be the new wraith!:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...s1_873x627.jpg

shaantitus 10-19-11 05:53 AM

If they are plastic then they have a lot of potential to be wraiths. No flames from me.

KhainiteAssassin 10-19-11 05:55 AM

those are a plastic kit from Tomb Kings, yes.

JackalMJ 10-19-11 06:36 AM

I like, no i love the old wraiths. Not that I mind them with tails, but really I like the old wraiths. I just wish they where more useable... heres hoping the new edition fixes that. Even the same cost with a squad size of 5 might do it...

KhainiteAssassin 10-19-11 06:38 AM

I dunno, their shoulder pads being across the length of some Necrons standing up just sets me off for some reason xD

Rems 10-19-11 07:19 AM

So your whole argument is that the old wraiths were poor sculpts and the tomb stalkers are nice sculpts so if necrons are tomb kings in space we can use tomb stalkers for wraiths?

Right...

There's nothing stopping you from doing that anyone. I personally though would prefer the necrons to be given their own theme and identity rather than borrowing off or being directly recognisable as someone else's'.

KhainiteAssassin 10-19-11 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rems (Post 1089441)
So your whole argument is that the old wraiths were poor sculpts and the tomb stalkers are nice sculpts so if necrons are tomb kings in space we can use tomb stalkers for wraiths?

Right...

There's nothing stopping you from doing that anyone. I personally though would prefer the necrons to be given their own theme and identity rather than borrowing off or being directly recognisable as someone else's'.

Well its more that if the old style for them are kept. its the same with the immortals, but i liked the old immortals, they just got an awsome revamped look.

And the Necrons Identity IS Tomb Kings in space, has been pretty much from the get go. Just like DE are like DE, CE are like HE, Chaos is like Chaos.

They are not borrowing anythings "identity" they are just showing off their fantasy roots.

Sworn Radical 10-19-11 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KhainiteAssassin (Post 1089447)
And the Necrons Identity IS Tomb Kings in space, has been pretty much from the get go ...

They are not borrowing anythings "identity" they are just showing off their fantasy roots.

Sorry, but I believe you're mightily mistaken.

Perhaps Necrons are 'Tomb Kings in Space' right now, but they sure did not start that way.

The first Necron models ever actually were dubbed 'Chaos Androids' and were part of one of the early (first edition) Space Crusade boxed sets. They evolved from that very same design years later.

Cheers

Nicholas Hadrian 10-19-11 08:36 AM

Personally I go meh to the old wraith, I liked the design well enough, but the fact that they were all in the same fetal pose and the fact they were metal models when they had so much opportunity to be incredibly dynamic was a disappointment to me.

Agree with you on the new flayed ones though, they look so uninteresting, like mummies made of toilet paper instead of the old ones, the old flayed ones were terrifying.

And for the record, when Necrons were first having their fluff written up, they actually tried to NOT have the fluff for the tomb kings and Necrons intersect, now they are, food for thought huh?

KhainiteAssassin 10-19-11 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas Hadrian (Post 1089474)
Personally I go meh to the old wraith, I liked the design well enough, but the fact that they were all in the same fetal pose and the fact they were metal models when they had so much opportunity to be incredibly dynamic was a disappointment to me.

Agree with you on the new flayed ones though, they look so uninteresting, like mummies made of toilet paper instead of the old ones, the old flayed ones were terrifying.

yes, yes they were.

Nicholas Hadrian 10-19-11 09:03 AM

Though personally I'm curious about their new fluff, which IS going to be tomb kings in space.

To which I kinda say meh, after all the old Necrons were really very frightening, the simple fact that barely any of them had woken up and when the did the galaxy would tremble yada yada yada. Makes me wonder how they will be treated now, hope they don't lose their uniqueness.

Won't deny I love the new take of Flayed Ones though, wanting to reclaim their lost skin, being absolutely batshit crazy and flaying people because they want their flesh back? That is fascinating and somewhat more terrifying than the old "We do it to scare the everloving living shit out of you" explanation.

(yes I am crazy I personally loved Necron destroyers, it gave them this horrifying surgery-frankenstein feel, and not having any tanks/transports per-se was a unique idea, it gave them their own flavor, having to take a ride like any poor imperium shmuck just makes them alot less intimidating. Too human y'know?)

KhainiteAssassin 10-19-11 09:06 AM

i like the new fluff of the flayed ones, I dont like the new models, I want the old ones back. they were awsome

Nicholas Hadrian 10-19-11 09:09 AM

Damn straight.

Achaylus72 10-19-11 10:09 AM

GW is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Why am i not surprised with all the bitching and moaning from some over the new models, there are some who are never ever satisfied and i can't for the life of me understand why some folk end up so grumpy and miserable, like they have some permanent chip on their sorry arsed shoulders.

If Necrons are Tomb Kings in Space then so be it.

Weapon 10-19-11 10:18 AM

The possibilities for conversions between the Newcrons and Tomb Kings should be pretty varied.

That's definitely a good thing for me.

Ravner298 10-19-11 12:52 PM

Sepulcher knights are HUGE. Aren't they each on a chariot base?! You'd be screwing yourself over with true LOS on that one!

Nicholas Hadrian 10-19-11 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achaylus72 (Post 1089542)
GW is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Why am i not surprised with all the bitching and moaning from some over the new models, there are some who are never ever satisfied and i can't for the life of me understand why some folk end up so grumpy and miserable, like they have some permanent chip on their sorry arsed shoulders.

If Necrons are Tomb Kings in Space then so be it.

Yeesh dude, I'm not saying this ruins necrons and GW for me, I just liked the old ones better especially since the new fluff is an unknown quantity, they have me worried that they might not be making the best choice.

After all, there IS a difference between satisfied and pleased.

I am "SATISFIED" with the new necron models I have seen thus far (still dont know what the wraiths look like, so here's to hoping they're cool"

Am I "HAPPY" with the new flayed ones? Heck no, the new ones look like they wrapped themselves in fleshy toilet paper and called it a day.

(also, Newcrons? I like it.)

Lubacca 10-19-11 08:32 PM

It wasn't until I saw the new sculpts that I gave the Necrons a second look at all. I didn't know much about the fluff but always heard not very good things about it. Now? I'm intrigued. Tomb Kings in Space? Cool. I liked TK and VC, so why not? It's a horde or evil... dig it

C'Tan Chimera 10-19-11 10:06 PM

I don't think its bad at all- my worry about it was the idea that GW was just going to directly rehash an existing theme. I feared it was going to be weakly handled and they'd basically just be a reskin of the actual Tomb Kings army. Instead, I'm glad to see they've really worked to differentiate it aesthetically and fluff wise.

Granted, I'll still work to keep them mostly robotic and some TK rather than the other way around. I don't mind the new models at all, but expect to see plenty of conversions regardless.

Lubacca 10-19-11 11:05 PM

I'm going to make all of mine Cylons :P

Achaylus72 10-20-11 01:48 AM

According to the current Codex: Necron on page 17.

Twisted and ghoulish terrors of the night, the Flayed Ones advance before the Necron force, spreading fear like a plague before them. Stooped yet terrifying agile beast's from man's darkest nightmares, the Flayed Ones long flensing blades can strip the skin from their prey in seconds. Thin and wiry, they adorn themselves woth the still wet hides of their victims, leaving the skinned corpses to sow fear and confused amongst their enemies ranks.

Why did i quote this passage, well Nicholas Hadrian stated that the current Flayed ones look like they are wrapped in "Toilet Paper". I would consider that it would be hard to sculpt any Flayed One model that has flayed skin on it and does not look like "Toilet Paper".

Moonschwine 10-20-11 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achaylus72 (Post 1090033)

Twisted and ghoulish terrors of the night, the Flayed Ones advance before the Necron force, spreading fear like a plague before them. Stooped yet terrifying agile beast's from man's darkest nightmares, the Flayed Ones long flensing blades can strip the skin from their prey in seconds. Thin and wiry, they adorn themselves woth the still wet hides of their victims, leaving the skinned corpses to sow fear and confused amongst their enemies ranks.

Why did i quote this passage, well Nicholas Hadrian stated that the current Flayed ones look like they are wrapped in "Toilet Paper". I would consider that it would be hard to sculpt any Flayed One model that has flayed skin on it and does not look like "Toilet Paper".

Prepare for terminator 2 style sculpts to be designed and never see the light of day due to law suits. Though I'm totally fine with things like this:

http://images.wikia.com/terminator/i...or-t600-1-.jpg

KhainiteAssassin 10-20-11 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achaylus72 (Post 1090033)

actually, he was saying the NEW ones, IE: the ones in the leaked pictures, look like toilet paper, we all love the old ones.

lokis222 10-20-11 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KhainiteAssassin (Post 1090056)
actually, he was saying the NEW ones, IE: the ones in the leaked pictures, look like toilet paper, we all love the old ones.

if i like the new dex, i will be finding the old ones on ebay. new ones look like crap in comparison.

KhainiteAssassin 10-20-11 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokis222 (Post 1090069)
if i like the new dex, i will be finding the old ones on ebay. new ones look like crap in comparison.

I could not agree more.

Im thinking of getting them comissioned even to make sure that those flesh covered freaks get the attention they deserve!

Nicholas Hadrian 10-20-11 04:38 AM

I agree with everything everyone has said in my defense, Personally I have no plans on starting a Necron army, i'm imperial all the way, I just like facing down opponets with really cool models, really fun rules and really cool fluff.

And on an aside, Achaylus, there's no need to be rude.

Achaylus72 10-20-11 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas Hadrian (Post 1090092)
I agree with everything everyone has said in my defense, Personally I have no plans on starting a Necron army, i'm imperial all the way, I just like facing down opponets with really cool models, really fun rules and really cool fluff.

And on an aside, Achaylus, there's no need to be rude.

Where was i being rude.

Nicholas Hadrian 10-20-11 07:41 AM

Snide then if you prefer.

Achaylus72 10-20-11 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas Hadrian (Post 1090143)
Snide then if you prefer.

Explain how I was snide.

Coldshrike 10-24-11 02:10 PM

*googles flayed ones*

Well, I'm not sleeping tonight then, am I.

I don't think the new ones look that bad though. Posed kinda weird.

Vaz 10-24-11 03:46 PM

Do you google everything you don't know, Coldshrike?

http://gardenofmany.com/wp-content/u...lue-waffle.jpg

:).

As an aside, Nicholas Hadrian, bit too sensitive there pal.

As to "Tomb Kings in Space" not being a bad thing... Right. There's a difference between a fluff change of Peasants in Bretonnia becoming a Knight Errant to become a Knight, to never having the possibility of becoming a Knight for the most part, compared to Soulless Automaton Killers with no names, personalities or voices to suddenly becoming a dominating empire making force like every other race out there.

The necrons and the tyranids are the hidden baddies behind the screen of Chaos, yet the childish pandering of the Games Workshop dev team make them seem like Simply undead in space.

Question, GW.

Why the hell does every race you have to bring back have to be all Pinky and the Brain?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

daxxglax 10-24-11 11:20 PM

I'm totally fine with them being "Tomb Kings in space," for the simple reason that they were freaking boring before. Yes they are cool-looking, mysterious death machines, but when I'm painting the 12th gunmetal-grey skeleton in a row, I start to wonder whether I've gone a little wrong. It's possible to give them a modicum of personality without diluting their general air of horror and enigma. For instance, Necron Lords having different forms, and basic personalities. I mean, there are only 2 C'Tan active in the galaxy, and potentially millions of tomb worlds, so it makes sense that these Lords would be made to have a little initiative and autonomy.

I've probably said this before, but characters and factions are only interesting if they have flaws. Necrons have mostly been built up to be a completely unstoppable menace, able to appear anywhere they like, unable to to be killed (they'll either self-repair or phase out), and possessing technology such that the basic grunt weapon can vaporize a Space Marine. Your fancy, god-like psychic powers can't help you, since the Necs invented an anti-psyker gene, and they're led by the physical manifestations of star gods.

The way it's shaping up now, the Necrons have certain disadvantages. Some of their tombs have decayed, or been lost. As a Necron is repaired more and more, it become gradually less useful. Some Lords have gone insane. The C'Tan can't be everywhere at once. It's these kinds of things that add flavor to them, that make me interested, beyond "they're mindless, omnicidal robots." Which is a cool concept, sure, but an equally cool one is legions of robots, sealed with the population of a long-ago-empire, returning to life beneath our very feet to destroy the hated living, take back what's theirs, and enslave the universe in the name of their twisted gods.

humakt 10-25-11 12:01 PM

Im almost certainly going to go Necron. I have always wanted a necron force, I just didnt like the limited number of model choices in the previous codex.

I am quite taken with the idea of making a 'steampunk' style converted army. I can see plenty of scope for the vehicals. Im sure there are a plethora of ideas such as bowler hat wearing automatons.

Vaz 10-25-11 12:18 PM

Quote:

Which is a cool concept, sure, but an equally cool one is legions of robots, sealed with the population of a long-ago-empire, returning to life beneath our very feet to destroy the hated living, take back what's theirs, and enslave the universe in the name of their twisted gods.
The thing is, they're already there, aside from

Quote:

, and enslave the universe in the name of their twisted gods
this bit.

And this bit

Quote:

, and enslave the universe in the name of their twisted gods
is what makes them like every other Tom, Dick, and Harry in the Galaxy.

The Tyranids are the only other analogous force to what the Necrons, and the Tyranids aren't wanting to destroy life, they're simply wanting to feed - the Necrons have the agenda of wanting to destroy life, now it's just basically "take me to your leader".

And like the Tyranids, the only reason the Imperium is not destroyed is down to the fact that the Necrons have not fully arrived/awakened yet, or so it is theorised. Now, it's down to some shoddy microsoft repair lab lacking the ability to make proper repairs and the wires getting crossed inside, making them go fucking loopy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Serpion5 10-25-11 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humakt (Post 1093177)
I am quite taken with the idea of making a 'steampunk' style converted army. I can see plenty of scope for the vehicals. Im sure there are a plethora of ideas such as bowler hat wearing automatons.

I want pics when you`re done. :)

jaysen 10-25-11 02:44 PM

I'm making an army of Bloodcrons, which I'll use as Blood Angels auxillery. I plan to use various bits from BA death company.

C'Tan Chimera 10-25-11 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysen (Post 1093253)
I'm making an army of Bloodcrons, which I'll use as Blood Angels auxillery. I plan to use various bits from BA death company.

Don't forget to make an objective marker where a Blood Angel and Warrior are brofisting.

daxxglax 10-25-11 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaz (Post 1093183)
The thing is, they're already there, aside from

this bit.

And this bit

is what makes them like every other Tom, Dick, and Harry in the Galaxy.

The Tyranids are the only other analogous force to what the Necrons, and the Tyranids aren't wanting to destroy life, they're simply wanting to feed - the Necrons have the agenda of wanting to destroy life, now it's just basically "take me to your leader".

And like the Tyranids, the only reason the Imperium is not destroyed is down to the fact that the Necrons have not fully arrived/awakened yet, or so it is theorised. Now, it's down to some shoddy microsoft repair lab lacking the ability to make proper repairs and the wires getting crossed inside, making them go fucking loopy.

Actually, no, universal enslavement was always their long-term thing. To quote from the soon-to-be-obsolete codex.
Quote:

They will seek to harvest us at first, for they will be hungry after their long sleep. Then they will turn their efforts toward enslaving the survivors.
Besides, wanting to conquer everything is (however slightly) better than killing everything, since it requires a motive beyond "my gods are hungry." Even "my gods want to rule everything" is deeper, by a short margin.

Coldshrike 10-26-11 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaz (Post 1092731)
Do you google everything you don't know, Coldshrike?

http://gardenofmany.com/wp-content/u...lue-waffle.jpg

:).

I feel like that was a trap. But more or less.

The problem with the necron's (and the 'nid's) fluff is that if they make them as powerful and un-ending leigony as they're supposed to be, well then everybody should be dead by now, so they did have to come up with some reason for why they haven't enslaved the entire universe yet. They're still waking up was a good one at first, but they can only tote that line for so long. As reason for why they haven't killed anybody go, they accidentally updated to vista is the best one I can come up with.

humakt 10-26-11 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldshrike (Post 1093672)
I feel like that was a trap. But more or less.

The problem with the necron's (and the 'nid's) fluff is that if they make them as powerful and un-ending leigony as they're supposed to be, well then everybody should be dead by now, so they did have to come up with some reason for why they haven't enslaved the entire universe yet. They're still waking up was a good one at first, but they can only tote that line for so long. As reason for why they haven't killed anybody go, they accidentally updated to vista is the best one I can come up with.

I think updating to Vista is the most likly reason. Sudeen unexplainable 'blue' eyes of death as random targeting applications suddenly crash for no apparent reason.