Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/192-hobbit-lord-rings/)
-   -   help a noob (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/hobbit-lord-rings/97691-help-noob.html)

kharn_the_blood_god 09-11-11 09:41 AM

help a noob

hi. i wanna start a lord of the rings army. i want to collect a mordor army. i dont now where to start. i am gonna play lotr not wotr and i am starting at 500 point army. please help

khrone forever 09-11-11 01:59 PM

lots and lots of orcs, if that helps :S

Dīnadan 09-11-11 02:06 PM

If you haven'r done so already, buy the main rulebook and the Mordor sourcebook.

After that, look through the Mordor book and think about what sort of Mordor army you want. Mordor offers horde armies in the form of lots of orcs, monstrous armies in the form of trolls, and elite armies in the form of Morrannon Orcs, Uruk-hai and Black Numenoreans.

kharn_the_blood_god 09-11-11 05:57 PM

thanks for the help

Chris Guard of Mardat 09-16-11 05:08 PM

I would suggest buying a box of Morannon Orcs and a box of Mordor Orcs to start with. If you're good at converting then you should convert as many Orcs with Two-Handed Weapons into archers as possible as you want to reach the bow limit and volley. Here's a few examples I made

In this one you'll want to keep the Shaman hidden behind the lines of Orcs, with his magic affecting as many Orcs as possible. The Morannon Orcs should be used as the main bulk, whilst the Mordor Orcs are scattered through the army, provided more attacks and helping you overwhelm the enemy.

Heroes:
Orc Shaman
Morannon Orc Captain
Mordor Orc Taskmaster
Mordor Orc Drummer
Warriors:
12 Morannon Orcs with Shields
12 Morannon Orcs with Shields and Spears
6 Mordor Orcs with Spears
6 Mordor Orcs with Shields
4 Mordor Orcs with Orc Bows

This list is probably my favourite, as for me as it is how I see a Mordor army, lots of weaker Orcs, backed up by some elites (the Black Guard)

Heroes:
The Shadowlord
Gorbag with Shield
Warriors:
12 Orc Warriors with Shields
8 Orc Warriors with Orc Bows
2 Orc Warriors with Two-Handed Weapons
15 Orc Warriors with Spears
9 Black Guard of Barad-Dur

This list is probably the most competitive and also the most expensive to buy, with the best archery as well.

Heroes:
The Shadowlord on horse
Orc Drummer
Gorbag/Grishnakh
Warriors:
15 Morannon Orcs with Shields
15 Orc Trackers
15 Orc Warriors with Spears

Hope this helps

Chris

kharn_the_blood_god 09-16-11 07:03 PM

it those thanks. oe thing more is saruan woth the point cost, i havent got the sorcerebook so i am not asking "what he cost in points" but if he is woth it.

Agarwaen 10-08-11 07:05 PM

start off with a box of Orcs, and work around that! Orcs, Orcs and more Orcs is really what a Mordor army is all about, but you've got loads of choice now, with the Black Numenorians and the Nazgul etc.