Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Rules Discussion (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/17-40k-rules-discussion/)
-   -   How in the world do invulnerable saves work? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-rules-discussion/94694-how-world-do-invulnerable-saves-work.html)

Jozmaster 07-21-11 04:28 PM

How in the world do invulnerable saves work?

Hey there, I'm new to this game and have a question regarding a thing explained rather vague in the rulebook IMO; Invulnerable saves.

Do they work as an additional armor save? Are they optionally used instead of armor saves? I can't wrap my head around it.
Could someone please explain?

kickboxerdog 07-21-11 04:36 PM

with saves you either get a armour save or invunrable save, so if a weapon allows a aomour save you just get that but some weapons can ignore your armour, this is when a invunrable save comes into play( you dont get to make a armour save and a invunrable save)

most armour saves are better than invunrable saves so if your allowed a armour save you would always take that

arlins 07-21-11 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozmaster (Post 1030371)
Hey there, I'm new to this game and have a question regarding a thing explained rather vague in the rulebook IMO; Invulnerable saves.

Do they work as an additional armor save? Are they optionally used instead of armor saves? I can't wrap my head around it.
Could someone please explain?

take a space marine terminator , he has a 2+ armour save OR a 5+ invunarable save .
If you shot him with a bolt pistol he would use his armour save as a bolt pistol is only AP 5 and his armour save is better .
If you shot him with a AP1 melta which would ignore his armour save , then you would use his invunarable save .

Jozmaster 07-21-11 04:42 PM

Ah, thank you so much guys! This explains a whole lot. This has been bugging me for a long time.

Ihateyou7777 08-14-18 02:49 AM

Umm

So im also new, and I noticed that Canoptek Wraiths have a 4+ save. They also have the ability Wraith Form, which gives them a 3+ invulnerable save. Is there no point in using the regular save?

I know this is years late but idk i need answers

darkreever 08-14-18 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihateyou7777 (Post 2444047)
I know this is years late but idk i need answers

Well as long as its relevant its not much of a problem (though in this case you do know how invulnerable saves work.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihateyou7777 (Post 2444047)
So im also new, and I noticed that Canoptek Wraiths have a 4+ save. They also have the ability Wraith Form, which gives them a 3+ invulnerable save. Is there no point in using the regular save?

It has been a few editions since the OP posted this query. In that time there have been additions, like psychic powers such as null zone which negate invulnerable saves. So while wraiths do have a better invulnerable save than armour save, there do exist weapons, powers, and abilities which would prevent wraiths from using their invulnerable save.

So most of the time, no there is no point to not use a canoptek wraiths invulnerable save; except in the cases where they cannot take them.