Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Translations of Warhammer stuff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/93885-translations-warhammer-stuff.html)

Grogbart 07-08-11 11:32 AM

Translations of Warhammer stuff

Comparing original English Names to those in German translations, I noticed a wild mix of translations, keeping the original English Names, using other Names of English origin and sometimes completely other Names from God knowns where!

Now my Question is, is it the same with other languages?

In German translations, most Names stay the same and many others are more or less translated adequately, but those are not the ones I'm interested in!

It's the Curiosities, such as these German 'translations', I'm interested in:
Dreadnought -> Cybot, Obliberator -> Kyborg
Wyches -> Hagashin, Reavers -> Hyemshin (both are not of German origin!)
Power sword -> Energieschwert, Lighting claws -> Energieklauen, Thunder Hammer -> Energiehammer (Energie... = Energy ...)
BUT Power Armour -> Servorüstung

And my personal favorite 'Sisters of Battle' -> ... (nothing!!!)
They completely avoided translating that term AND don't use the English original term. Their old Codex was (and probably their upcomming will too) called "Codex: Adeptus Sororitas" and a single Sister of Battle is called a 'Sororita'.

Are there similar oddities in other languages as well?

Doelago 07-08-11 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grogbart (Post 1021422)
And my personal favorite 'Sisters of Battle' -> ... (nothing!!!)
They completely avoided translating that term AND don't use the English original term. Their old Codex was (and probably their upcomming will too) called "Codex: Adeptus Sororitas" and a single Sister of Battle is called a 'Sororita'.

That one I also noticed while looking through my German version of the 4th edition 40k rule book. (No, I dont speak german, bought it just cause it was the collectors edition and I got it for 15€)

And man, I love the word cybot. So many times in DoW II have I been told "Use your cybot to take out their turrets", and each time I just wtf, before getting it that they are german and dont seem to use the word Dreadnought, lol.

Luisjoey 07-12-11 07:00 PM

i live in venezuela (south america that speaks spanish) and we rather play with english rules because the spain translations are to weird for us to read, specially orks! they changed everything making hard for a player that plays with English codex against a player that use a spanish codex.

For example WEIRDBOY (the psyker) is called EZTRAMBOTICO, that means in ork language EXTRAMBOTIC rather than make a close translation like CHICO LOKO (weird is translated as RARO-rare that means despectively gay or fag in most hispanoamerican countries), for unnused players could be really confusing.

TheReverend 07-12-11 07:36 PM

haha, I love this :) I only speak french as a second language but I haven't seen the codex.

When I was travelling in India I was looking out GW stuff to see what sort of translations there would be, but I just don't think the hobby has made it that far yet and most of India speaks English to a pretty high standard anyway :)

TheSpore 07-12-11 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luisjoey (Post 1024624)
i live in venezuela (south america that speaks spanish) and we rather play with english rules because the spain translations are to weird for us to read, specially orks! they changed everything making hard for a player that plays with English codex against a player that use a spanish codex.

For example WEIRDBOY (the psyker) is called EZTRAMBOTICO, that means in ork language EXTRAMBOTIC rather than make a close translation like CHICO LOKO (weird is translated as RARO-rare that means despectively gay or fag in most hispanoamerican countries), for unnused players could be really confusing.

so if I was to fully translate weird boy in spanish Id ebasically be saying the fag boy

Grogbart 07-13-11 09:46 AM

Speaking of weird, reminds me of one thing I often stumble across, when playing in German while having English rules in mind.

I'll skip the translations.
In German rules, saving throws in general are called 'conservation throws'.
Armour saves are 'amour throws' and cover saves are 'cover throws'.
And now it comes, invulnerable saves are called saving throws!!!
A baseless switch-around for no particular reason, as there is no shortage in the German language that wouldn't have allowed these four term to be translated literally.

Another thing I constantly have to giggle about is Terminators with lightning claws.
I don't exactly know it, but I presume it's common in other languages too, to shorten certain names, descriptions and so on, like in this case, calling the above Claw-Termies (at least in Germany we do). Termies are the same in German, the problem is claws in German are "Klauen", which if spoken fast, sounds pretty much exactly like clown (both in English and German)!
So every time someone says: "these are my claw-termies" in German, I can't help but imagine a really colorful Space Marine Terminator with over-sized shoes and a big red nose, juggling some melta-bombs while sitting on a unicycle!

TheSpore 07-13-11 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grogbart (Post 1025090)
Speaking of weird, reminds me of one thing I often stumble across, when playing in German while having English rules in mind.

I'll skip the translations.
In German rules, saving throws in general are called 'conservation throws'.
Armour saves are 'amour throws' and cover saves are 'cover throws'.
And now it comes, invulnerable saves are called saving throws!!!
A baseless switch-around for no particular reason, as there is no shortage in the German language that wouldn't have allowed these four term to be translated literally.

Another thing I constantly have to giggle about is Terminators with lightning claws.
I don't exactly know it, but I presume it's common in other languages too, to shorten certain names, descriptions and so on, like in this case, calling the above Claw-Termies (at least in Germany we do). Termies are the same in German, the problem is claws in German are "Klauen", which if spoken fast, sounds pretty much exactly like clown (both in English and German)!
So every time someone says: "these are my claw-termies" in German, I can't help but imagine a really colorful Space Marine Terminator with over-sized shoes and a big red nose, juggling some melta-bombs while sitting on a unicycle!

Thats an odd thing to picture, So who wants to make the conversion of that come one I know someone here wants to...

Everyone reading this thread is now wondering to accoplish such a feat, the seed of heresy has been planted Excellent...