Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Modelling and Painting (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/27-modelling-painting/)
-   -   Newb Painter suggestion to any other newb painters out there..... (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/modelling-painting/92586-newb-painter-suggestion-any-other-newb-painters-out-there.html)

scscofield 06-20-11 02:24 AM

I am doing a half and half purple black scheme, before I stripped them they had red helmets for tactical but this time I am just doing all half purple half black. When I get to the point where I am considering highlights I might just stop for now. There is nothing saying I can not come back later and add those in. I know that before I stripped them the best they had looked was before I had attempted to highlight them. There was shading in the spots it should have been because of washes and the colors were uniform. I am going to attempt to do layering on one of them and see how it looks.

bitsandkits 06-20-11 07:11 AM

[B]keep within the lines[/B
in all seriousness, forget washes and highlights, if your new practice getting a thinned layer of paint neatly were it is supposed to go, a neatly painted model looks far better than a poorly washed and highlighted one.once you can paint neatly within the lines you will have a better chance of being able to paint highlights and wash selectively.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

elmir 06-20-11 07:23 AM

:goodpost:

Basecoat, basecoat, basecoat. If you are not able to get that right, you'll never, ever get a good looking model. shading, highlighting, washing, glazing, they all boil down to haveing a solid, clean basecoat that is not patchy and remains detailed.

Choice of pallet is another thing. Bright, vibrant colors are a lot harder to do. Reds, whites and yellows are notoriously bad covering pigments. If you do want to learn how to do solid basecoats, practice with yellow. If you can get a none patchy, thin, even basecoat going with yellow, you are golden! Heck, you can even try that one piece of sprue or a leftover torso from a space marine set or something.

farseer22 06-20-11 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmir (Post 1006049)
<snippy>
If you can get a none patchy, thin, even basecoat going with yellow, you are golden! Heck, you can even try that one piece of sprue or a leftover torso from a space marine set or something.

This sounds like good advice to me. I'm going to go home and paint some space marines that I have from the battle for mccrage.