Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   The Dark Angels Corner (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/92091-dark-angels-corner.html)

HOBO 02-18-12 09:02 PM

Good idea of a Thread for DA, alhough I only play 'pure' Death Wing which doesn't get a whole lotta love here....all that RW Land Speeder/Vindicator/Predator inclusion going on. I understand why that is done, but there's no way I'm buying into it - 'pure' for life:).

Looking forward to all that this thread produces...The Dark Fortress looks good.

VX485 02-19-12 10:37 AM

Will be keeping an eye on this, my first army was DA, they have been on the back burner for awhile but i knoe when they get a new dex i'll be adding a heap to them - not far off having a whole company

thefallen 02-20-12 06:33 AM

I got into DA back in 2nd ed. They were my first, and still favorite army.
I was wondering what people think about the fluff dynamic of the fallen angels. Who do you think were the real good guys? Fallen angels or ”loyalist” dark angels.
The heresy books paint the lion in a questionable light. The fluff of the fallen angel confessions point the finger at the lion as a heretic. are they lies of a condemned man or eye witness accounts?
What do you think?
Im leading twards a little bit of both. The fallen were bordering on being renegade, but they were ”knight of the order” as such honorable men. Though they didnt like the fact that the empire showing up and taking over. Messing up 5k years of tradition.
It is also a little suspect that the lion got ”stuck” in the warp. Preventing his urgently needed aid to the emperor.

darklove 02-20-12 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefallen (Post 1164560)
I got into DA back in 2nd ed. They were my first, and still favorite army.
I was wondering what people think about the fluff dynamic of the fallen angels. Who do you think were the real good guys? Fallen angels or ”loyalist” dark angels.
The heresy books paint the lion in a questionable light. The fluff of the fallen angel confessions point the finger at the lion as a heretic. are they lies of a condemned man or eye witness accounts?
What do you think?
Im leading twards a little bit of both. The fallen were bordering on being renegade, but they were ”knight of the order” as such honorable men. Though they didnt like the fact that the empire showing up and taking over. Messing up 5k years of tradition.
It is also a little suspect that the lion got ”stuck” in the warp. Preventing his urgently needed aid to the emperor.

I'm not one to shatter illusions, but you shouldn't ask questions you might not want the answers to.

GW have not deviated in any way from the background material from when Dark Angels first appeared. The homage to the source material has not been disputed, and continues to have a subliminal impact on the story ark of this Chapter.

I'm not allowed to say more on it in this thread; some people truly venerate DA and I don't want to upset anyone.

Caratacos 02-20-12 02:38 PM

That discussion is already afoot in the fluff section: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=105904 It is heavy on spoilers.

As for an army, I have a tri-wing army which is about 6-7k large. Most often I do field tri-wing, because I like it th most. My favourite HQ is Azrael. I usually field him together with nine or ten stormbolter armed veterans.

thefallen 02-20-12 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caratacos (Post 1164726)
That discussion is already afoot in the fluff section: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=105904 It is heavy on spoilers.

As for an army, I have a tri-wing army which is about 6-7k large. Most often I do field tri-wing, because I like it th most. My favourite HQ is Azrael. I usually field him together with nine or ten stormbolter armed veterans.

Good link, thanks. Its a great reference point to my questions.. But its more of a recap of fluff relating to the ”fall of caliban”.
Im sorry that I thought this thread was about dark angels related stuff. I missed the part where we only say if we like em or not and how many toys we have.
@ darklove if people cant handle a question of opinion, relating to a factious background story for toy soldiers. They seriously need to go back to the doctor for some stronger psyke meds. Im just trying to add some content to the thred.

darklove 02-21-12 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefallen (Post 1164992)
@ darklove if people cant handle a question of opinion, relating to a factious background story for toy soldiers. They seriously need to go back to the doctor for some stronger psyke meds. Im just trying to add some content to the thred.

I meant the inspiration for the creation of the Dark Angels and Lion El'Jonson. Some people don't like it, and it puts them off.

Caratacos 02-21-12 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefallen (Post 1164992)
Good link, thanks. Its a great reference point to my questions.. But its more of a recap of fluff relating to the ”fall of caliban”.
Im sorry that I thought this thread was about dark angels related stuff. I missed the part where we only say if we like em or not and how many toys we have.

True that. I misread your post a bit.

In my world it is very hard to make a stand.

In the beginning we had the first loyalist legion. When the Fallen took a stand, they became something else. Most probably under the influence of chaos. In my eyes they became something like unhappy separatists.

The remaining loyalists turned into something else as well. They are still true to the Emperor, but their motives are clouded. They leave their fellow imperial troops in trouble, just to set out on a hunt for the Fallen. There are even indications of them destroying a Black Templar ship.

So I really can't say who I see as the good guys.

The motives of the Fallen, Caliban born Dark Angels, were pretty just I think. They would have been much better left on their own. But still, seen from an imperial point of view, Caliban was a human world, belonging to the world of the Emperor.

And since the Fallen took a stand against the Lion and the Imperium, the Loyalists were right in their actions, when it came to destroying the Fallen. But what they became afterwards is a question of doubt. Much like Astellan points out they are far from what they once were.

And I play Dark Angels, but I have a hard time liking their ways. I really do like the miniatures, the colour scheme, the whole "tri-wing" thing. But in truth, I'd like a more noble, honourable and glorious chapter.

I hope this was a little bit more of what you were asking for :)

Jace of Ultramar 02-21-12 11:50 AM

Well, this thread is becoming more interesting as it goes along. I look forward to seeing how everything develops, especially since I picked up DA as a back burner Chapter last December.

Izzleydill 02-23-12 08:20 AM

I believe the fallen have been convinced by the Chaos Gods that they are doing the right thing. My thing is the fact of, only chaos space marines can live for 10,000 years right? Using the powers of the warp, blah blah blah. Anyways I haven't read all of the novel stuff, but that one fact makes me believe that the fallen have become Chaos on accident (which has happened quite a lot).

On a personal note I also like to go back to older fluff, prefering it over a lot of the more recent stuff. I have a personal reason to also believe that the fallen did actually go to Chaos, thanks to earlier fluff, just as I will always see the necrons fluff personally in the light of their 3rd edition codex, not the more recent one.