Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Project Logs (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/35-project-logs/)
-   -   Kabal of the Obsidian Rose (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/project-logs/91620-kabal-obsidian-rose.html)

eae 11-13-11 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More WIP. Incubi + Archon. No more reddish-orange layers for this army, yay! :) Gonna do blacks and metallics and eyes from now on, the end is nigh :)

troybuckle 11-14-11 04:03 AM

The bright highlights are really working well on these guys.

eae 09-30-17 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Noone expects the Drukhaki Inquisition, especially SIX years later yet guess what! Unfortunately the final feeling of finally-this-unit-is-over relief is not nearly enough to compensate for 6 years of keeping the hobby light from going out completely, yet... well, here they go. I even made a nice Klaivex which I really like.

eae 10-02-17 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Same guys, different background.

DaisyDuke 10-02-17 03:24 PM

Nice!

eae 10-04-17 07:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sooo I'm now painting my veeery old venom conversion (worth mentioning that it was made based on an art from DE codex before GW first released an official Venom model). And I have some problems with it. How do I paint straight lines near the armor slits? I'm attaching a second pic as an example of what I'm looking for. Is it just a steady hand? Do I use a masking tape? How come those extreme highlights lines look so bright yet appear to be painted with a single move of hand? I'm totally lost, please halp.

Brother Dextus 10-04-17 08:17 AM

Very thinned paint, a very steady hand and lots of coats is how I'd do it.

But I'm shite at painting, so probably not someone to take advice from!

Dave T Hobbit 10-04-17 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eae (Post 2429793)
How come those extreme highlights lines look so bright yet appear to be painted with a single move of hand?

As Brother Dextus says, you want to make sure your paint is thin enough to flow well. I'd also apply the highlight with the edge of the brush rather than the tip: bring the brush in angled slightly and with the tip over the groove then run the brush along the line in a smooth movement; because the same area of brush touches the outside angle of the edge that way even if the brush moves back and forth along it's length, it doesn't matter if your hand doesn't move in a perfectly straight line.

eae 10-08-17 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for your advice guys! Highlighting with the edge did not work well for me since there's no place to put the rest of the brush when I paint the recess in the armor. But I've cheated by painting less carefully and then restoring the recess with a 0.03 liner. Venom armor plates are now complete and I'm going for metallics:

Brother Dextus 10-09-17 08:27 AM

Well it looks good dude!