Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/29-off-topic/)
-   -   Favorite Characters - Any Media (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/off-topic/90630-favorite-characters-any-media.html)

Hurricane 05-24-11 08:02 AM

Favorite Characters - Any Media

I don't know if any of you have seen the show Code Geass before, but OH MY GOD it was so amazing and to anyone who has a prejudice toward anime I urge you to watch it. I was often skeptical of it too until I was recommended this show and I am simply astounded at its depth. But I digress, the main reason for this thread is so we can all share our favorite characters from whatever media they belong to!

Jay Gatsby (The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald) - I have a big soft spot for romantic characters and this guy is the pinnacle of that ideal for me. There just isn't enough of that in the world today and I try to reread this novel once a year just so that it stays fresh in my mind. Conversely, I cannot think of a character I despise more than Daisy!

Buffy (Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Joss Whedon) - I'm a huge Whedon fan and Buffy has been with me through thick and thin ever since I was younger. One of the reasons I prefer television series to movies is that I can stick with a character for a long time and watch as they mature. Even though Buffy goes through all these supernatural experiences, I still feel like I can empathize you know? Can people have fictional characters be their heroes? If so, she is definitely mine.

Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass) - I am astounded at the complexity of this character and I never thought I would say that about an animated television show. I'm having trouble even attempting to characterize him as there are so many facets to his person. I know trying to wrap him up in a neat little summary won't do him justice so I seriously urge anyone out there who is looking for a deep show to check out Code Geass (just look it up online as there are tons of hosting sites) and make sure to watch the English Dub as it's excellent!

Runners up:
- Any main cast member from the West Wing.
- Whiskey from Dollhouse
- Snape from Harry Potter
- Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly
- Quentin Compson from The Sound and the Fury
- Wesley, Angel, Spike, Willow, and Giles from Buffyverse

Amoeba Bait 05-25-11 01:02 AM

Garrus Vakarian: (Mass Effect Trilogy) I. Love. That. Guy. Coolest sounding voice, badass, everything you want in a bro. Shed a tear when he died in my playthrough.

{Just saw your avatar and it reminded me how damn cool he is!!}

Unforgiven302 05-25-11 01:26 AM

Any character that is played by Ron Jeremy. He is fat, ugly and harry yet he has laid more pipe than the local plumbers... and gets paid to do it.

On a more serious note, Major Dick Winters from Band of Brothers. Now there was one hell of a role model for anyone.

normtheunsavoury 05-25-11 01:36 AM

Boba Fett, he's just cool and has a back/jump pack that fires rockets!

The Cenobites, they pretty much come as a package so it's hard to split them up (despite what the sequels may think). They just ooze menace and are IMO one of the greatest horror creations of all time.

There are loads more but I can't think of them at the moment...

DivineArchitect 05-25-11 01:50 AM

Paul atreides, cause well....read the book and you'll see ( its awesome ) and the film has sting in it :)

and Spawn the most badass hero in all comic book history he makes superman look like a 12 year old girl.

High_Seraph 05-25-11 04:57 AM

Have to say Lelouch is a very complex character. When you think youv'e nailed his character "type" to the wall he surprises you with another side.

Favorite overall would proly be Paul Mau-dib Atreides. Hello cousin ftw!

Wusword77 05-25-11 06:18 PM

Optimus Prime: He emboides everything that a hero should be.

Capitan America: He is Optimus Prime done in a more complex manner, due to him being human and working with/for the US government. I thought the Civil War story line was a great Marvel story, as it showed who Capitan America was at his core.

Superman: The man is a walking God, the Man Of Tomorrow. Some people give the character shit for being too simple, I would recommend reading Godfall (By Michael Turner), For Tomorrow (By Brian Azzarello Art by Jim Lee), and Superman Earth One (By J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI) for an indepth look at what Superman actually is. Superman Earth One is an Alternate Reality Story but it gives great insight into the problems that a young Clark Kent would face.

Raistlin Majere (DragonLance Series of books): A mage cursed to see time passing before him, he has a complex character that requires almost 12 books (and some short stories) to fully flesh out.

Kenshin Himura (Rurouni Kenshin anime and manga): A pacifist who became an Assassian (man-slayer in the Anime) who bears a cross shaped scar on his cheek, he is an anime/manga character with real depth. The backstory to why he has his scar is heart wrenching and his history plagues him through out the entire series. The series is one of the best I have ever seen and read.

And for Classic Literature:

Cyrano de Bergerac (from the play by Edmond Rostand): Great Character, great play. It's one of my favorite plays.

Anarkitty 05-25-11 10:09 PM

Valentine Michael Smith (Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert Heinlein): This book, and in particular this character, shaped my philosophies and life when I read it in 7th grade in ways that still resonate with me today.

Pocket (Fool, Christopher Moore): An amazing and interesting character in an amazing and interesting book. Shakespeare's King Lear from the perspective of The Fool.

Hagbard Celine (The Illuminatus! Trilogy, Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson): Enigmatic, equally insane and brilliant, and another character that shaped much of what has come to be my life philosophy.

I'm sure there are others I just can't think of right now because I'm at work and my brain is fried.

Honorable Mentions (disqualified for not being fictional):
Carl Sagan: This is another individual that has shaped who I am via various media, both scientifically and philosophically.

Epicurus: An ancient Greek philosopher I discovered in 6th grade and have loved ever since. If any single classical philosophy comes close to how I try to live my life, it is his.

normtheunsavoury 05-25-11 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wusword77 (Post 981808)
Raistlin Majere (DragonLance Series of books): A mage cursed to see time passing before him, he has a complex character that requires almost 12 books (and some short stories) to fully flesh out.

Cyrano de Bergerac (from the play by Bill Shakespear): Great Character, great play. It's one of my favorite plays.

Can't fault you on Raistlin although I always prefered Dalamar.

As for De Bergerac don't you mean the Edmond Rostand play?

DivineArchitect 05-25-11 11:26 PM

mau-dib,mau_dib!

..he who stagnats is destined to ruin...