Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

My new GK miniatures.

24K views 158 replies 53 participants last post by  Orochi 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey folks

I'd thought I'd post a few shots I took today of my new GK models. I have been a demonhunter player since 2005, and have taken a very long brake from 40k since 2006 to focus more on warmachine. The release of the new codex got me excited to pick this army up again though. Sad thing is, that I can no longer use my inducted IG troops (painted in red/white/black). And it's not like I had that many GK units to begin with, so the army got a soft reboot.

The GK boxed set is awesome! It includes so many weapon options, that I decided to magnetise nearly the entire army. Every model now has the possibility to take different weapons through the use of 2mm diameter magnets (at least, as many as each boxed set allows). This required some minor conversions (such as making the two handed weapons into one handed pieces, but nothing too drastic.

Anyway, the first squad is always the testsquad, and that got finished for 95% today (some minor things like some text on the purity seals etc still remains, but that's no biggy). So I took a few pictures and will show you the results:

See less See more
#30 ·
Am I the only one who can't see the pics?

#33 ·
The dreadknight won't be happening anytime soon I'm afraid. I really don't care for the model that much to be honest, and it's not like I'm going to be using them much in play either... The rifleman dreads are waaaaay to good for that... :p

And this small little update brings you a few WIP sneak peaks of the TL autocannon arms that I'm making for my dreads. It's made from the aegis defence lines, with some shortening. I'm now adding some plasticard around a greenstuff core.

It's only a first draft. But I'm making doubles for all the parts I'm cutting out of the thin plasticard. I'll see if I can find the time to make a "how to" guide on these weaponarms as well. Anyway, this is some crude WIP, the plasticard still needs to be filed down, some gaps still need filling, but it gives a good idea of what I'm planning.

The connection to the arm still needs some extra work. I had this DN body as a spare after using the FW one. Handy for some testfitting and getting the dimensions right. My FW dreadnoughts have magnets attached to them to attach them too, and the 4mm holes for them are already drilled out.

I'll see if I can take the measurements for the plasticard pieces, in case this inspires some ppl to try it. The arms will then be further embelished with all the extra purity seals, reliqs and bits that come with the GK plastics.

Enjoy!

#34 ·
Some updates on the first of my TL autocannon arms. I consider this one ready for primer... It's currently attached to my new dreadnought with the FW body kit. It's also WIP, but it's coming along nicely.

I added the standard TL lascannon arm to it, to give an idea of scale. So, one down... 5 more arms to go! :eek:k:

#36 ·
And the first of the psyfleman dreads has been finished. It's not the most stunning work I have ever done tbh, but it was my first venture into the world of plasticard for conversions, so some bits are a bit "rough" and that translates into the paintwork sadly... :angry:

But overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It's got a nice amount of bulk to it, and it ended up pretty close to what I had in mind when I started doing the conversion, so yeah... Me happy. And I'm sure it'll scrap loads of vehicles during games!

Anyway, on to the pics!

Enjoy! Any comments and critisism is ofc welcome.

#38 ·
Hey folks, it's time for another update on my grey knights.

I have just finished the first of my 4 razorbacks. I tried a couple of things that are still relatively new to me, both with the airbrush and with weathering with pigments. This will also be my entry for the monthly painting challenge.

So here it is, the first of my razorbacks:

After seeig the tank and it's weathering, I figured my knights looked a litle too clean in comparison, so I used the pastel pigments that I used for the tank around their boots as well, to give them a little more unified look. So here is an update shot with 5 of my updated powered armored GKs.

Enjoy!

Reactions: CLT40k
#39 ·
Oh, and before I forget... I had to use a different setup with an old white T-shirt because it's so dark and stormy outside right now. Is this an improvement compared to the picture quality of the outside shots in your eyes? If so, I think I'll be sticking with that old rag of a T-shirt then for pics... :D

#41 ·
I think the weathering looks pretty good on the power armored guys greaves and sabatons.

I also think you might have overdone it on the Razorback's hull and the exhausts. And there is something that looks off about it, but I'm having trouble putting my finger on it - the level of opacity in the mud maybe? And the painterly look of the exhaust carbon accumulation.

On the other hand I think the rest of the paint job is very good. The heraldry, red, and white look well done, as do the details on the tank's weapons and viewports. The weathering going up the ladder is a good idea as well.

The Psyfleman dread looks awesome. I'm really glad you didn't add weathering to him, I think it would take away from his clean lines and strong silhouette.

The only other thing I think the Razorback needs is some writing on the front armor's scroll.

Cheers,
Kreuger

#44 ·
1. I really like the force weapon technique you used....can you make a demo for it?
2. The dreadnaught is very sweet I like the autocannon you made...makes me want to do the same.
3. Weathering was done very well
4. Only thing I would add is writing on the GK purity seals

Doc
The force weapon desciption is on the first page. I wrote a quick how to there. It's really not as hard. You just have to keep your paints nice and thin (yes, even if that means having to aply 2-3 coats sometimes :p ) and follow the recipe that's on there.

It doesn't even require an overly steady hand to do it (that's something I really don't have, so I have found many ways to overcome that flaw over the years). Just don't overload your brush when you aply the highlights when you run your brush along the sides. Go over a piece of tissue with your brush first, and it should be ok for highlighting.

#43 ·
Yeah, text still has to be added to the scroll and seals at some point. I'm waiting till I can get down to the arts and craftstore that stocks 0.3mm fine point pens to do them. My hand isn't steady enough to do any readable text... :D

#45 · (Edited)
Hello again.

I have just finished assembleing the stormraven. This model has recieved quite a few magnets itself. Not necesarely all for weapon swaps/ gameing issues... but mostly to be able to transport such a giant "miniature"!

Here he is fully assembled. Only the see through bits are missing, but they'll be easy to glue into place after I have at this thing with the airbrush, because of the magnetisation.

In order to be able to store this thing, the wings have recieved magnets to allow them to be taken off. This was a rather simple proces, requiring only 2 magnets per wing (although they'd have to be at least 4mm in diameter to cope with the weight. To give the attachment magnets of the wings some extra strong bond, greenstuff was added around the magnets to hold them in place better.

These wings attach to two other magnets that were inserted into the body. You'll also notice two other magets down the centre of the body. These central magnets hold the large block that sits behind the gunner cockpit in place. These were given strong magnets as well, because that block overlaps with the wings and adds even more strenght to hold them in place.

Two magnets were added to the central body near the front cockpit. This allows the front to be taken off as well. This is held by smaller magnets, as they don't really need to cary any real weight.

The doors to the side of the body were magnetised as well to allow a swap with the hurricane bolter sponsons. They aren't really that usefull in game atm... but you never know what the next edition might bring.

And finally, the gunner cockpit and the weapons on it were magnetised as well, as was the extra armor that covers the weapons. This way, I can easily swap weapons on the gunner cockpit.

The primary weapons were attached with very long, cilindrical magnets of 3mm diameter, and 10mm hight. It makes for a really strong bond. The normal axle holes needed to be drilled out a bit to fit the magnets however, but that was a pretty easy task.

This will take a while before it's finished though. I won't really have the time to start it before the end of may... but it'll make a nice ambitious project for the june army painting entry!

#47 ·
Hey folks.

I got around to more painting instead of just assembling stuff. The first one is my first finecast model ever purchased. It turns out one of the two sprues was a bad miscast... but it didn't matter that much, since I used parts of the plastic GK terminators to make the right arm. The weapon is magnetised, so I can play WYSIWYG like all of the other stuff:

And finally: this limited edition I had, was given a paint update to match his new found grey knight allies. Now that he ditched his battle bitches, he had to be given new clothes to hang witht he bros...

That's it for now. Hope you like the pics! C&C is welcome ofc.

#50 ·
Only thing that catches my eye is the holes on the bolter, they are uneven and a bit small.
Don't you hate it when your bolter has flow problems?!

OT - Looks great man. They're both striking. That inquisitor shouts "Solomon kane!" in the best way possible.

Cheers,
Kreuger

#51 ·
Fantastic work on the Libby Elmir! I love the quality of your silver metallics they are just fantastic. I am sooooo jealous of you having one of those LE Witch Hunters. He looks great as well!

#52 ·
Thanks for the comments and feedback. I'll see if I can find a 1mm-1.5mm drillbit for the stormbolters at the hardware store.

Also, I asked for morfangdaka to move this thread to the project logs... seeing how it's gotten closer to log proportion by now. I'm hoping to get the second razorback done sometime this week and play around a bit with lighting to take a few group shots of what's finished thus far. :wink:

#54 ·
Update time!

The second of my razorback/rhino is finished. It was given different heraldry to make it more individual and was given some extra stuff from the GK kit to make it a little more GK-ish. I took some of the feedback to heart and tried to make the exhaust smoke a little less "painted on" by spreading the pastel chalk a little bit more before fixating it. I also slightly reduced the hight of the mud weathering by diluting the chalk towards the centre of the tank more.

I also added some lettering to the scrolls with a fine micro-art pen.

Anyway: pics say more then a 1000 words:

And finally: a few side by side shots with his college, the first tank I painted up. Despite the small changes to weathering and heraldry, I still think it came out pretty consistent. It will become a 4 car parking lot to deploy, so keeping it consistent is kinda tricky when your basecolor is a premix (I actually had to try and replicate it, because it turned out to be too little paint in the first batch).

That's it for now. I actually had to make a larger lightbox to get these pics taken. I imagine I'm going to need a really big box if I ever want to get army wide shots taken... :grin:

Enjoy!

#55 ·
Only thing I can really point out is the smoke from the exhaust would be streaming back as normally when it is being pumped out the model is in movement. Not thick, pastes on but thin wisps would be trailing backwards, especially from the front one. The first one looks like it could use a bit more red/white on it sitting next to the 2nd one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.