Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Project Logs (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/35-project-logs/)
-   -   Tossidins painting log for those rare occassions when he actually paints something! (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/project-logs/85231-tossidins-painting-log-those-rare-occassions-when-he-actually-paints-something.html)

Tossidin 03-21-11 04:13 PM

Tossidins painting log for those rare occassions when he actually paints something!

Hello guys!

(Warning! There will be rambling, so skip intro if you want, it won't hurt my feelings!)

Some information about me (I am so awesome I deserve the attention!):
I am that guy who has the "slow painter who never paints" tag on him. I deserve it, of course, cause it is true. It is also kinda sad, as painting is one of those things I really wish I did more of, rather than my usual "new army comes out, buy that army!", which I guess some of you are familiar with. :grin:

Anyway, I have had 3 project logs so far, all of them faiding away as I never really get any progress done. So, instead of making another blog for my newest army, which I surely won't finish (But hey, I am gonna give it a try!), I am starting this blog, for those rare occassions when I actually get some painting done!

My first 40k army was Blood angels. Started them since I thought their omnibus was awesome, and it drew me into the game. "Sadly", I went over to the eldar instead, as I never managed to play with the pdf codex.
Not surprisingly, I was excited when they got a new codex. Not only did they get some really nice looking models, but an all jump pack army was now (kinda) viable! Not that long after the codex came out, I bought a bunch of Assault marines / Death company / sanguinary guard. Who are, of course, gathering some nice looking dust.

I have a dream! To paint this army up to "best painted" standard (which has been my failed goal with all my armies). And, I want to give it another try. This is why I am starting this blog.
But there is 1 important thing. They are blood angels no more. As I feel there are so many blood angel armys out there, I want to represent something different. That being a successor chapter of course. One of them really caught my eye when I read "Black rage", the third book in the blood angels series. And that was none other, than the Angels Sanguine.

So, onto my first "test model" (not finished, and yes, I have shown him before):

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/u...e/IMG_2483.jpg

He turned out "quite well". I am not happy with him, but it is an unfinished test piece so what can I expect? It gave me much experience on how to deal with the colour scheme at the least.

But the important part is that I have started to paint another model! Here is a (bad) picture of what he is looking like right now on my desk, and I promise that I will give you an update later today, so you may judge for yourself how you think the progress is going (yes shitty picture I know).
(Yes, I love all C&C I can get, so if you have any opinion, please share it!)

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/u...e/IMG_2823.jpg

I am doing this in the hope that it will push me to actually finish him :p

Hope you will like him. Cya laters! :)

The Wraithlord 03-21-11 05:40 PM

Quote:

He turned out "quite well". I am not happy with him, but it is an unfinished test piece so what can I expect?
What's wrong with the model, I think it looks top notch.

xenobiotic 03-21-11 05:40 PM

Oooh, someone has captured the elusive Tossidin and forced him into conformity :P

By the looks of it you're a skilled painted, how come you do it so seldomly?

What's wrong about the test marine? The red armour looks excellent and you've pulled of the highlights on the black armour really well. The blue effect on the power first looks well executed. The only thing a bit off would be the skull on the chest plate in my eyes (apart from the other unfinished details of course).

Angels Sanguine are awesome simply because they have a halved scheme, so it's a good choice!

I know about the gathering miniature disease, apart from all the things I have for space marines (which are quite a lot) I have an unpainted Daemon Army and an unbuilt IG army pretty much in boxes on a shelf. Now I have some GKs on the way, but I'm going to use them for conversions for my other marines (so it's all good in the long run :P).

CLT40k 03-21-11 05:46 PM

I like the shading on the fist

DaStonedOrk 03-21-11 05:52 PM

ur minatures already look good even though they are not finished. Can I ask how u painted ur red becuz I'm painting some BAs for my bro and I can't get that smooth and nice looking red. Chould u check out my blog below and give me some tips or advice???

Zodd 03-21-11 05:54 PM

I think these two models show some very good craftsmanship, finished or not.
I really do hope you keep on painting Tossidin.:ok:
+rep

Tossidin 03-21-11 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wraithlord (Post 914104)
What's wrong with the model, I think it looks top notch.

It's not that it is "bad". It is more that there is something that "irks" me about it. I don't know what. I have always been that way, it may be a reason for why I use so extremely many hours on each figure.

"By the looks of it you're a skilled painted, how come you do it so seldomly?"

I have asked myself that exact question way too many times to count :P
Thanks for the nice comment though! Let's see if I cant back it up

"I like the shading on the fist"

Thanks. That is in fact the 1 thing about the model I like the most. Was another thing I tested and it is something I think I will continue with, as it gives some nice contrast.

Thank you all for the feedback! Much appreciated! I am keeping it short though as I am continuing on the model shown above. that is a model I am quite sure I will be happy about, so no more of the pessimistic stuff for now :)

@ DastonedOrk: Ninja!
I will look into you bloog later this evening and write up my red recipe then :)

@ Zodd: Thank you! We are 2 about that ;)

zxyogi 03-21-11 06:10 PM

Nice nice NICE niCE nICe nicE Very Nice indeedy!!! :victory:

:wink:

Dave T Hobbit 03-21-11 07:03 PM

Welcome back.

As a fellow slow painter with gaps (I finished four units last year and can only remember two that I painted the year before) I find a deadline is the best solution. The possibility of failing the Army Challenge has already forced me to complete two units this year.

Have you analysed why you do paint when you do? I paint because I want a completely painted force when I play, so I need to paint enough units to have a possibility of winning, and because I find the point where I have just completed the mid-tones very satisfying; this means that if I have no games forthcoming and I need to base-coat or do final highlights I am not motivated, so I know that is when I need to proactively schedule painting rather than rely on it happening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tossidin (Post 914127)
It's not that it is "bad". It is more that there is something that "irks" me about it. I don't know what. I have always been that way, it may be a reason for why I use so extremely many hours on each figure.

I think it is the fist; technically it is well painted, but it spoils the vertical balance for me having the bright area to the left and no corresponding second colour to the right.

KhainiteAssassin 03-21-11 07:15 PM

as a slow painter myself, Ill give you my tip I use to fet me to paint: tell yourself you WONT BUY more models until the ones you have are finished. IE: I wont buy any more DE until the ones I have now are finished, then ill buy more and repeat the ideal. youd be suprised at how much faster you paint, how much easier it seems, when you do it this way.