Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Tougher: Pre Heresy or Post Heresy Marine. (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/83375-tougher-pre-heresy-post-heresy-marine.html)

Commissar Schultz 02-25-11 12:00 AM

Tougher: Pre Heresy or Post Heresy Marine.

I'd have to say Pre Heresy marines were tougher. Not that the tech has changed a lot in 10K years, but they were the Originals, and had'nt fought Orcs, Elder or any other xeno's before so that was a first. Plus they came directly from the Primarch's geneseed. I know all the geneseeds came from the primarchs, but those were like a new car, with no miles on them. Not that it makes that big a difference, but in my minds eye it just makes sense. Also, being able to fight with their primarch, actually being around them would make them fight all the harder.

Those are just my views.

the-ad-man 02-25-11 12:06 AM

i agree with your reasoning.

they dont make 'em like they used to :P

Marneus Calgar 02-25-11 12:09 AM

Depends, yeah, the geneseed was fresher then..

But like you said, they hadn't fought Orks, Themselves, things from the warp (much), Eldar, Dark Eldar etc. So, in my opinion, knowledge is power in this case :P

bitsandkits 02-25-11 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the-ad-man (Post 890255)
i agree with your reasoning.

they dont make 'em like they used to :P

But it could be argued that they were wet behind the ears, no replacement for 10k years of experience, so i would say they are better now

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

davidmumma66 02-25-11 12:24 AM

Well on the table top, Chaos Marines who are 10,000 years experienced have the same stats as marines :P so I am not so sure about this.

Wusword77 02-25-11 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidmumma66 (Post 890272)
Well on the table top, Chaos Marines who are 10,000 years experienced have the same stats as marines :P so I am not so sure about this.

Because every CSM is a survivor of the Horus Heresy, who has been fighting for 10k years and wasn't killed.

Anyway, to the OP.

Space Marines are Space Marines. They are just as tough now as they were then.

Except Calgar and Dante. Apparently these 2 are just freaking beasts.

Commissar Schultz 02-25-11 12:44 AM

I read somewhere some Chaos legions have huge massive gladiator events and the winners are inducted into the chaos legions. So for a small portion of chaos marines the 10K years experiance counts, but only for certain CSM, like Abbadon, Kharn, Lucius, Fabius, Typhus..etc. And they were originals, further supporting my cause of the originals being tougher. Yes they have some chaos infused powers..but they were noteworthy even before becomming CSM's. :biggrin:

To the comment about every CSM is from Pre. I think many are, but in Storm of Iron the main char..Honso?(I forgot his name) but he had the geneseed of a Imperial Fist, they referred to him as a half breed. So not all are from the HH.

gen.ahab 02-25-11 12:57 AM

13 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Commissar Schultz (Post 890300)
And they were originals, further supporting my cause of the originals being tougher.

No, they were the best of the former legions. I could simply say that Logan Grimnar, Dante, Calgar, Ragnar and He'stan are all current marines and they all happen to kick ungodly amounts of ass so the latest marines are tougher .... considering all of those, or at least a few, are some of the greatest heroes their chapters have ever seen.

Commissar Schultz 02-25-11 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gen.ahab (Post 890312)
No, they were the best of the former legions. I could simply say that Logan Grimnar, Dante, Calgar, Ragnar and He'stan are all current marines and they all happen to kick ungodly amounts of ass so the latest marines are tougher .... considering all of those, or at least a few, are some of the greatest heroes their chapters have ever seen.

Point taken. :)

Ghost792 02-25-11 01:47 AM

The pre-heresy marines did fight orks and eldar. The Ullanor campaign saw the Luna Wolves and I think a couple of other legions fighting the orks, and the Night Lords and Emperor's Children had violent encounters with the Eldar. Besides, some of the alien races that the pre-heresy legions fought against were pretty tough, such as the Laer and the beasts on Murder.