Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   What's next after HH? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/81789-whats-next-after-hh.html)

Diatribe1974 02-07-11 06:40 AM

What's next after HH?

Right now, we know the BIG storyline is the telling of the Horus Heresy. While I've not read it (yet), I'm sure it's a great read (as a whole). But lately, I've got to thinking:

What's next? What is the next big read that folks will clamor to? As was explained to me not long after I started getting interested in the 40k mythos, was that (essentially) everything in the 40k universe is 99% in the past and we're living in the last 1%. (i.e. all the really good stuff happened in the past)

While it's debatable whether or not GW will ever move the 40k "story" forward at all (beyond baby steps they seem to do), what can they hope to offer folks who've been around for the last 10-15 years to stick around another 10-15 years? (story-wise at least, let alone via the game).

Cruor99 02-07-11 06:49 AM

Oh there are plenty of things to write about. Maybe the Age of Apostasy. That would do for an interesting horus-heresy style series of books.

The Scouring would be a natural 'next' after the horus heresy series, if the Black Library were to continue in such a manner.

Diatribe1974 02-07-11 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruor99 (Post 870883)
Oh there are plenty of things to write about. Maybe the Age of Apostasy. That would do for an interesting horus-heresy style series of books.

The Scouring would be a natural 'next' after the horus heresy series, if the Black Library were to continue in such a manner.

I agree that there's plenty of things they could pull stories from, but would they even begin to come close to what is presented in the HH? There's plenty of smaller stories that can be told forever, for sure, I won't argue that one bit.

Serpion5 02-07-11 08:20 AM

Something from the War in Heaven would be nice.

Such a dream... But it will never come to pass. :cray:

Engindeer 02-07-11 11:12 AM

It will definately cater to the veterans, just as the Horus Heresy does.

GW are not very innovative and their best ideas usually comes from the much earlier days of 40k.

Without William King's short story "The Siege of Terra", we wouldn't have anything resembling the Horus Heresy today.

But that old story is still one of the best pieces of fluff in 40k, and the question is wether GW have another cash-cow of that magnitude they can expand upon (I like the idea with The Scouring or The Age of Apostasy - bet on it that it will be set in the past!

TheSpore 02-07-11 12:02 PM

It would be intresting to see a some books on the fall of the eldar and the birth of slaanesh, i also second the age of apostasy and the scouring, and the war in heavin would be even more intresting. Their some areas of the fluff that sure could use fleshing out that would add so much more to the game. Start a series on the SM chapters that actually fleshes out some of these chapter they put in the codeices as just color schemes and give them some fluff.

Androxine Vortex 02-07-11 06:53 PM

I doubt this would happen because the author's mind would be blown but I want them to write stuff about the Emperor going into battle with his Custodes and Primarchs.

Maybe even the Unification Wars?

It seems like there is a lot of talk about what goes on in the warp but we never really see it hands on. I wish they would write books that were specifically about daemons in the warp and stuff like that (fluff like that)

TheSpore 02-07-11 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Androxine Vortex (Post 871438)
I doubt this would happen because the author's mind would be blown but I want them to write stuff about the Emperor going into battle with his Custodes and Primarchs.

Maybe even the Unification Wars?

It seems like there is a lot of talk about what goes on in the warp but we never really see it hands on. I wish they would write books that were specifically about daemons in the warp and stuff like that (fluff like that)

I wish they would write some stuff form the POV of the daemons that would be so cool. I always have a hard time just imagning what the warp looks llike whenthey are not floating in spce but on planets.

Wusword77 02-07-11 07:24 PM

Honestly, we'd have to see what happens when they finish the Horus Heresy. Considering the story for the HH has changed with the publishing of the current books, who knows how they may end it.

We know the overall story, and the overall ending, but the devil is in the details.

What if they change the final battle to Sang turning against the Emperor and attacking him with Horus, which resulted in the Emperor being beaten like he was. Or even better, that Sang kills Horus and becomes the Champion of Chaos and that cause the Blood Angels to have the Red Thirst and Black Rage.

Maybe they do something with the Lion to set up his return, this is my personal favorite idea as they are giving quite a few books to the Dark Angels when they had very little to do with the Heresy.

If they keep the close of the HH to what we already know, they may move into the Age of Apostasy. This time period helped mold the Imperium into what it currently is.

If they alter the ending in a meaningful way then we could actually see an advance of the plot.

cragnes417 02-08-11 12:13 AM

Badab war or some story tales of the beginning of the 2nd founding seem's like an interesting story:read: