Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   Astartes = Goddess of love (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/77901-astartes-%3D-goddess-love.html)

Duke_Leto 12-16-10 08:00 AM

Astartes = Goddess of love

Apologies if this had been brought up before but I thought this was interesting...

The Space Marines "official name" is the Adeptus/Legiones Astartes. However, in the Bronze Age the Phoenicians worshipped the Goddess Astarte...

"Astarte was connected with fertility, sexuality, and war. Her symbols were the lion, the horse, the sphinx, the dove, and a star within a circle indicating the planet Venus. Pictorial representations often show her naked."

Do you think Rick Priestly (another religious name connection) was being ironic when he named his ultimate human warriors?

Phoebus 12-16-10 09:14 AM

No.

I think that the Emperor*, a being with stated ties (at least in older fluff) to the region and time during which the Mesopotamian goddess was worshipped, used a name/theme from his "youth". This was not a one-time occurrence: the use of the double-headed eagle, for instance, or of eagles and lightning bolts also harkened back to archaic empires and motifs.

* Or, at any rate, the writers who come up with the fluff.

Alsojames 12-16-10 11:57 AM

That is very odd o.O

Khorothis 12-16-10 12:26 PM

If
sex+war = rape
then
Goddess of Sex&War = Goddess of Rape
plus
Space Marine tactics basicly revolve around raping the enemy (AKA lightning strike).
makes
A lot of sense.

Hooobit 12-16-10 12:33 PM

Most liekly somehting that one of the wirters thought sounded good. The connection to war is a good one but the Emperah was trying to unite mankind under sciences not religion so it seems contradictory to what he wanted to do. Then again its commonplace for well educated people to refference back to mythology and deities to when it fits their purpose.

whats in a name anyway? they are called legions which is mostly a refference to the roman empire, so it could have been a sneaky refference from one of the writers.

Scathainn 12-16-10 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khorothis (Post 819375)
If
sex+war = rape
then
Goddess of Sex&War = Goddess of Rape
plus
Space Marine tactics basicly revolve around raping the enemy (AKA lightning strike).
makes
A lot of sense.

Quoted for truth.

Hooobit 12-16-10 01:04 PM

Sounds like a Chaos unit "the rape Marines", best friends with the plague marines maybe?

Doelago 12-16-10 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooobit (Post 819414)
Sounds like a Chaos unit "the rape Marines", best friends with the plague marines maybe?

Lol...

They probably got the name from some random name generator or something...

Giant Fossil Penguin 12-16-10 06:19 PM

I think it's got something to do with virginity as well. I could be very wrong, but Astarte was a virgin (?had something to do with virgins) as well as a goddess of war. So, the Adaptus Astartes are the Emperor's legions of virgin warriors. Avlong bow to draw, but not outside the realms of possibility

GFP

Hooobit 12-16-10 06:24 PM

They are drawn from the best warriors amoung the population of the chapters homeworlds, so i'd say maybe not.