Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/29-off-topic/)
-   -   Sick of the Confederate Flag (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/off-topic/76001-sick-confederate-flag.html)

search116 11-21-10 07:54 PM

Sick of the Confederate Flag

Why do people still fly that blasted flag they got there ass kicked by the union get over it. I don't see that many around here in Connecticut ( up north) but when I do I kind of want to yell get your hill billy ass out of here. What are your thoughts on the confederate flag being waved.

WinZip 11-21-10 07:59 PM

I personally have a friend who flies the confederate flag, and he says its not because they hate blacks are spite other americans, its simply a sign of being a rebel. kinda like me getting a tattoo even though my parents said no.

OrkByTheGraceOfGork 11-21-10 08:18 PM

It'd be fucked up if they flew it over the White House, but if someone wants to put it on their pick up it falls under freedom of speech.

Imperious 11-21-10 08:22 PM

This should become interesting...

WinZip 11-21-10 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrkByTheGraceOfGork (Post 794380)
It'd be fucked up if they flew it over the White House, but if someone wants to put it on their pick up it falls under freedom of speech.

Exactly...so no one can really do anything about it

unxpekted22 11-21-10 08:30 PM

I dont like seeing it personally but I see enough where I can usually just ignore it. And yeah for most of them its just a heritage thing, I dont think most of them actually believe the south will "rise again", just some of them. Also, the flag originally represented States' rights.

Son of mortarion 11-21-10 08:36 PM

Considering two factors: that the flag is an alternate American battle flag, and the Union made the war about the things people have issues about, I don't care.

When someone flies it out of some misguided sympathy for "the confederate cause," I see them as the problem. It's no better then the jagoffs that flew the U.S. flag after 9-11 until their flag was tattered and in the gutter. Nether understands the symbol enough for it to have the intended meaning.

gen.ahab 11-21-10 08:59 PM

13 Attachment(s)
For me, it's just a symbol of states rights. Most people don't understand what it means and they instantly believe that whoever is using it is a racist or a bigot, most likely they aren't. It doesn't bother me.

Imperious 11-21-10 09:08 PM

Unxpekted22 and ahab nailed it.

The confederate flag has nothing to do race. The "rebel" part comes from the fact that they are rebelling against the federal government in attempt for more state sovereignity.

Now, that being said people may use it today to signify racism but that is a different story.

Stella Cadente 11-21-10 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by search116 (Post 794354)
Why do people still fly that blasted flag they got there ass kicked by the union get over it

germany got there asses kicked by the allies, they still fly there flag
we kicked half the worlds ass, they still fly there flags

does it really matter?, its a piece of coloured cloth.