Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Project Logs (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/35-project-logs/)
-   -   The Quest for Abaddon (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/project-logs/75733-quest-abaddon.html)

Maverike Prime 11-17-10 11:41 PM

The Quest for Abaddon

So recently I entered... well Maverike Prime's 4th conversion challenge...I mean my challenge... but it wasn't.... Yeah bottom line: I entered this. As you can see I entered a converted Abaddon.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...r/DSCN5068.jpg

I wasn't displeased with it, but there is certainly room for improvement. So with that point in mind I'm embarking on a quest, a quest to update Abaddon! This is going to be a work log of my efforts, but due to time and money, updates are going to be somewhat in frequent I'm afraid. With that being said, I do want to encourage suggestions and feed back. So lets get this party going:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...in_873x627.jpg
Here we have the present Abaddon model. By no means a bad model. Even considering it's 14+ year age, the model still stands well amongst the newer models released in recent years. But what kind of converter settles for 'well'? Still, there are certain features I think characterize the model and would needed in any model that is supposed to be representative of Abaddon.

1) The Talon of Horus.
-Abaddon's trade mark. Rendered as claw with storm bolter. The fingers of the current model have become the basis for Chaos Lightning claws.

2) Daemon Sword Drach'nyen
- A large sword containing the power of a bound Warp Entity.

3) Terminator armor.

4) the Long hair.
- When I originally did my Abaddon conversion I was going to have the hair unbound and flowing freely cause I mean lets face it, Abs is not going to stop in the middle of a fight to fix his hair. But when I planned it out I relised I was going to be sculpting hair over nearly 1/2 the front of the model. So I think the bound hair will be a necessity for an Abaddon model.

Those are the key points that I think absolutely must be on any Abaddon model.

With those points listed, here are my thoughts concerning them:

The Talon of Horus. Previously, the fingers have always been rendered as solid blades and only have a single joint. Previously that is until the Eye of Terror Codex came out. If you look at the cover image, you'll see Abaddon is shown crushing a planet/globe in the fingers of the talon.
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...ades_title.jpg

Honestly, I think the Talon's claws should be articulated. With that thought in mind, I took the other lightning claw from the Chaos Lord box set, the one that I didn't use for the prior conversion and I managed to built this:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ammer/claw.jpg
Considering it's a first attempt at an idea, I'm not displeased with it. but I know I can do better. For one thing, I want to make the joints smaller and more integrated to the fingers themselves. For another, I want to incorporate some minor mechanics into the claws. Piston arms along the back of the fingers perhaps.

The Daemon Sword on the current model I think looks somewhat cartoon-ish. On the conversion I used a Blood Crusher sword, and I think it worked pretty well. Though what I'm considering doing the next time is taking 3 swords and splicing the hilts together to give it a bit more barb with it's bit.

That about wraps up my thoughts for the project right now. If I think of something else I'll post it. As I make head way on the project I'll post more. If you have any thoughts on this, I ask that you post them. Questions, comments, suggestions, all of 'em.

Vast 11-18-10 12:36 AM

The claw is very impressive, but I can't help but feel your plan for pistons would make it a little too... bulky?
Perhaps some thin twine down the center of the fingers to represent the wiring, similar to the picture?

Regardless of that suggestion, both your conversions are very impressive. :)

Midge913 11-18-10 12:45 AM

The second claw is excellent. Maybe if you use some really thin wire across the back like Vast suggested it would obtain the effect you are looking for with the piston like gubbins. Honestly I am very impressed with the original converted model. It is far better than the GW version which I have never thought does Abbadon justice. Keep up the good work! +rep.

Maverike Prime 11-24-10 05:05 AM

Okay, a bit of a so-so update in my work on a new Abadon model: The marks of Chaos. Abaddon is unique in the current Chaos Codex that he earned the patronage of all four of the major Chaos gods but actively serves none of them. This is shown by the combined benefits of all the Icons in game. Well I was thinking about it, and I started wondering how exactly this could be represented on the model itself.

Thus far I have come up with 2 ideas:

1) Use small icons attached to the model. A Talisman in the shape of the Tzeentch Icon, one of the Khorne Icons from the Berzerker Sprue. I'm sure there are other little details amongst the sprues, I just need to find them

Any suggestions for parts? or what to use in lieu of pre-made bits?

2) The Trophies. For a man to best a daemon, he must be at the zeneath of normal abilities for a man. What about mounting a head of a daemon from each of the four powers on the trophy rack on the top of his armor? Obviously it can't be Greater Deaemons due to size. But a Blood Letter, a Daemonette, Plague Bearer and Horr... well, the face of a horror maybe.

So with those ideas laid down, does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on these?

Fallen 11-24-10 05:42 AM

i dont like the idea of the demon heads, perhaps something else; like skulls for khorne, flies/decay for nurgle, tzentch & slaanesh are blanks ATM, maybe a familiar (the naked demon comes to mind for slaanesh...) or you know, SM heads an ultra marine, a blood angel, a dark angel...and some purple marine for slaanesh.

Maverike Prime 11-24-10 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallen (Post 796875)
i dont like the idea of the demon heads, perhaps something else; like skulls for khorne, flies/decay for nurgle, tzentch & slaanesh are blanks ATM, maybe a familiar (the naked demon comes to mind for slaanesh...) or you know, SM heads an ultra marine, a blood angel, a dark angel...and some purple marine for slaanesh.

Not that I'm not planning to have trophies from the Space marine chapters, but how will they show the fact that Abbadon has obtained the favor of the Chaos Gods?

Azwraith 11-25-10 01:38 AM

im thinking if you make him look like he is in the act of walking.. you could have say the ground below him dying (nurgle) blood coming from his eyes.. (khorne) his hair changing colour (tzneetch) and maybe a woman on a chain for slaneesh.. or like a whip on his hilt or osmething.

Orochi 11-25-10 01:49 AM

Skulltakers sword is nice and big, but not overly spiky. That would make a god daemon sword.

I like your Idea about flowing hair, but, Why not make a helmeted abaddon? I mean, you could really go to town and make a seriously unique helmet.

Maverike Prime 12-17-10 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orochi (Post 797564)
Skulltakers sword is nice and big, but not overly spiky. That would make a god daemon sword.

I like your Idea about flowing hair, but, Why not make a helmeted abaddon? I mean, you could really go to town and make a seriously unique helmet.

Mainly because it's Abaddon. Though I may do interchangeable heads, one helmeted, one bare headed.

That said, I had another thought. I'm getting closer to pegging down details for my prototype of an improved Abaddon model but I've recently come to a thought. More specifically a pose for the model.

if you look at the cover of the Eye of Terror book:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...ades_title.jpg

you see that Abaddon is crushing a globe/planet in his talon. I want to emulate that pose but with an space marine helmet. The metaphorical "I Destroy not only you, but your brothers" kind of pose, or rather the slightly more honorable version of " CURSE YOU!". So I'm going to model the talon as piercing into the helmet of a space marine. Now I noticed that the Sicarius model comes with a very ornate helmet that is obviously Ultra-smurf and I bloody near pass out from joygasm as I imagine having Abbadon's talons piercing the helmet with blood trickling out of the eye socket and dropping down Abaddon's arm. Now, here's my question:

Which chapter should the talon actually be crushing? I mean what Chapter has the most reason to hate, or be hated by Abaddon? I know The Blood Angles have a long standing fued over his previous campaigns, but the Imperial fists were actually there at the seige of Terra and helped to thwart Horus' attack. So what do you think?

Ultra-smurf?
Yellow-sons?
or Twillite wannabes?

Which chapter would be most fitting for Abaddon to have recently decapitated the leader of and is now holding the severed head/helmet up for all to look upon in horror and shock?

Boc 12-17-10 12:45 AM

I would say the Imperial Fists, as they're the ones who tenaciously defended the Imperial Palace and even now, defend against the XIII Black Crusade at the Eye. It seems to me that they, more than any others, are the ones that Abaddon would hate.