Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Chaos Marines Army Lists (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/132-chaos-marines-army-lists/)
-   -   Chaos Raptors (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/chaos-marines-army-lists/75589-chaos-raptors.html)

Maverike Prime 11-15-10 10:00 PM

Chaos Raptors

So I'm adding a 10 man raptor unit to my army. Ultimately I'm going to have 2-20 man raptor units, but that's much further down the line. Most of the armies I play against tend to be MEQ, with the occasional Imperial Guard army tossed in, though with Dark Eldar just out that may change. Right now I'm running 3 10-man CSM squads, a pair of Oblits and pred for fire support and 2 lords, with a 5 man unit of Termies. The CSMs carry 2 pair of Melta guns, while the Termies have power fists.

Now here's my question: Should I kit the Raptors out with a pair of Plasma guns and the Asp. Champ a pair of Lighting claws so the squad can deal with troublesome ICs or harder hitting units (They're going to have Icon of Slaneesh so they're hitting at initiave 5) or should I kit the squad our for Tank hunting with a pair of Meltas, a power fist and melta bombs?

I see merits either way, but I'd appreciate some other opinions on this.

Inquisitor Malaclypse 11-16-10 12:50 AM

what do you want to do with them?

TBH, it sounds like you're using them for melee as opposed to tank hunting.

i'd go with the plasma and LCs. if used for tank hunting a 5 man unit of Raptors with two melta guns will suffice.

good hunting.

crabpuff 11-16-10 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inquisitor Malaclypse (Post 788272)
what do you want to do with them?

TBH, it sounds like you're using them for melee as opposed to tank hunting.

i'd go with the plasma and LCs. if used for tank hunting a 5 man unit of Raptors with two melta guns will suffice.

good hunting.

I agree, tank hunting just have a smaller 5 man 2x melta squad, then you could still have two large squads.. What is the plan for the large squads, Melee, all round, charater hunters. It would be awesome to see a chaos player rolling around with a bunch of raptors, since it is almost never done.

LukeValantine 11-16-10 06:20 PM

Never take PF on raptors, PF's are for plague marines, and terminators. LC's are the way to go for raptors. Also Plasma guns are only really good on small suicide units since they can't assault after they fire them, making them prim targets for a assault after they fire (DO to how raptors typically move ahead of the rest of your force.)

Maverike Prime 11-17-10 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabpuff (Post 788982)
I agree, tank hunting just have a smaller 5 man 2x melta squad, then you could still have two large squads.. What is the plan for the large squads, Melee, all round, charater hunters. It would be awesome to see a chaos player rolling around with a bunch of raptors, since it is almost never done.

Yeah well, if anyone is likely to do something that hasn't been done before it would be me. I prefer to play true to my own concepts. Like I refuse to use Lash Demon Princes cause I think they're cheap shots.

As a sub-note I was thinking of doing Mark of Nurgle if I go with the power fist. True, It means my Champ will be hitting last, but he'll be Toughness 5.

KahRyez 11-17-10 05:45 AM

My advice would be if you do run them in high numbers, to use MoS with LCs to give them an edge over their marine counterparts. Throw in a ChaosLord(with jump pack) with something like the Blissgiver or Bloodletter and you'll have an excellent troop killer. For special weapons I'd suggest either Melta or Flamers, Meltaguns being my favorite out of the two.

Heretiker 11-17-10 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeValantine (Post 789050)
Never take PF on raptors, PF's are for plague marines, and terminators. LC's are the way to go for raptors. Also Plasma guns are only really good on small suicide units since they can't assault after they fire them, making them prim targets for a assault after they fire (DO to how raptors typically move ahead of the rest of your force.)

Plasma guns works well on Raptors since they are relentless, so they can charge after firing them. Personally I hesitate a bit at the possibility of killing my own troops with a bad roll though.

I would go for:
Champ, (LC and meltabombs (just in case)) and 2 x plasma guns. Perhaps IoK, one extra attack is always going to be there for you, higher I is situational (but beeing EC-fan myself i would probably go for IoS in the end). The Plasmas are really good coupled with the raptors mobility - 4xstr7 shots in the rear isnt something to sneeze at.

Im contemplating of making myself some more raptors for large squad assault-duty later on.