Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Space Marine Army Lists (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/139-space-marine-army-lists/)
-   -   Is this the most bad ass 500pt list? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/space-marine-army-lists/73362-most-bad-ass-500pt-list.html)

Whizzwang 10-17-10 04:53 PM

Is this the most bad ass 500pt list?

5x Scout + Sniper Rifle
5x Scout + Sniper Rifle

Commander + sod all

Land Raider

KingOfCheese 10-17-10 04:59 PM

People will still run things like Melta in 500 points.

Pop Land Raider, couple of stray bullets at the scouts, game over.

Whizzwang 10-17-10 05:08 PM

I think the psychological advantage of "oh shit, did he really just put a land raider down" combined with sniper pinning would make it prety fearsome though.

As long as you stay 12" away from MM's I reckon it'd be a beast.

darkreever 10-17-10 05:09 PM

Honestly, other than the HQ choice I think this list will give most other 500pt lists a run for their money.

Rather than a commander with nothing, a librarian would be the better buy.

KingOfCheese, popping a land raider in most higher point games is not terribly hard, but at five hundred points when your forces are already lacking in numbers and weapons; its by no means an easy feat. You have what? Three or four weapons able to take the thing down at most? How many of those will be long range?

Tim/Steve 10-17-10 05:10 PM

Its the old LR win/loss button... if the opponent can deal with the LR you lose, if they cant you win... except you have so little firepower that you may lose anyway.

Im never really a fan of this type of list, but against inexperienced players it should do ok.

Whizzwang 10-17-10 05:14 PM

Not planing on using it. just been plying with different armies to build stupid lists for this upcoming campaign I'm in.

Someone decide to go for the old faithful "nurhurhurhur Wraithlords rock in 500" so I had to shut him up.

KingOfCheese 10-17-10 05:33 PM

Well, considering at 500 points id be running a CCS with 4 Melta in a Chimera, plus 2 units of MeltaVets in Chimeras, i dont think a Land Raider would be too much of a problem.

Its mainly the armies that lack good anti-AV14 in 500 points that are going to suffer.
Armies like Orks would need to get PK's into combat to have a hope of taking it down, in which case you just cruise around 12" a turn using POTMS.

darkreever 10-17-10 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingOfCheese (Post 759454)
Well, considering at 500 points id be running a CCS with 4 Melta in a Chimera, plus 2 units of MeltaVets in Chimeras, i dont think a Land Raider would be too much of a problem.

Then you run into the whole matter of getting those melta's in range, and when they are in range being able to shoot, and this and that and so on. (Don't get me wrong, three units housed in armour 12 fronts toting three or four melta's will probably get in range to at least shoot, if not do the job, its simply a matter of how many get there.)

Personally, I do not have any love for smaller lists that seem to rely on the land raider to win the game. It becomes such a point sink, and if your opponent can remove it then your generally fucked. Honestly, take the raider out of this list and thats 50% of the points in one go, its no easy task but that is a huge chunk.

I encountered this many times in my games with my shadow-company between the 750 and 1500 point ranges. (One of the first was 750 chaos, that land raider went down the turn my tactical squad dropped in.)