Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Chaos Marines Army Lists (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/132-chaos-marines-army-lists/)
-   -   Chaos, I don't get it, help this poor fool. (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/chaos-marines-army-lists/71645-chaos-i-dont-get-help-poor-fool.html)

Whizzwang 09-22-10 03:47 PM

Chaos, I don't get it, help this poor fool.

Right, here's the deal.

I have been bullied into taking part in an upcoming progresssive campaign for 40k.

The rules are simple, play something you've never played before.
starting at 500pts and increasing by 25o a month until it caps at 1250

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Chaos army for a while and thought now would be the ideal time to go for it.

However there's just so much choice for the army it's bonkers.

I love the ide of Thousand Sons so my army will definitely be Tzeentchian.

For the first 500 I'm looking at

Scorcer + MoS, Lash (renaming Mark of Slaanesh to Favoured Soul of Tzeentch and renaming lash to THE UNDENIABLE WILL OF TZEENTCH...... BITCHES or something along those lines) The beasty list is needwed for the winning of campaign games, prize is a battleforce so I want the cheese, however the army will live on as 100% Tzeentch afterwards hence the renaming so I can paint him Tzeentchian.

5 Thousand Sons: 1 Scorcerer + Wind of Chaos, 4 Marines

then after that, I'm kinda stuck.

The basic battle plan so far is lash something and put them all in a nice cone shape, blast them with wind of chaos for giggles.

Leaves about 200 points and I need another troops

so, 500 point games, what to add?

Duplicate the Thousand Son squad and take a different power for some variety, or go for a cheaper unit of basic marines and add maybe an Oblit? Will I need a Rhinno to get the Wind of Chaos where I need it? or should I be playing a waiting game with my Slow and Purposeful Thousand sons?

Answers on a post card........ or below.

Kroldrup 09-22-10 04:06 PM

Personally i would do it like this.
- Daemonprince: mos, lash, wings
- 5 Thousand sons: sorcerer, WoC, meltabombs, rhino
- 5 CSM: meltagun, rhino

Zaden 09-22-10 04:09 PM

Honestly, if you want to win, I would take a Daemon Prince and two squads of Zerkers w/skull champ in rhinos if you have points, and then later when you have the points, take Obliterators, and just keep adding them. Tsons are not as competitive as the other cult choices. Sorcs are not as competitive as Daemon Princes. And no HS in the game is as competitive as Obliterators.

LordWaffles 09-22-10 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaden (Post 735827)
Honestly, if you want to win, I would take a Daemon Prince and two squads of Zerkers w/skull champ in rhinos if you have points, and then later when you have the points, take Obliterators, and just keep adding them. Tsons are not as competitive as the other cult choices. Sorcs are not as competitive as Daemon Princes. And no HS in the game is as competitive as Obliterators.

And a squad of plague marines, take six per squad with double specials and a fist. Rhino not mandatory for plagues.

Zerkers are in squads of ten, powerfist, rhino with extra armor and nothing else.

In short you have zerkers(maybe magically aided sorceror/battle champs?) and plague marines(empty suits of tzeentch armor, so somehow more survivable?)

Double lashing princes are YOUR ONLY HQ IF YOU WANT TO WIN. PERIOD.
Albeit a warptime one does okay, he doesn't synergize as well.

Tsons are an abortion and will make you lose games, our elite choices dont exist aside from five chosen with guns, our fast attack doesn't exist at all aside from five raptors with double melta(120 worth of "Eff you landraider")

Oblits are your only heavy support option aside from daemon possessed vindicators.

Dakingofchaos 09-22-10 04:49 PM

i've played chaos for many many years now, and tbh tzeentch has never really done me any favours :threaten: khorne on the other hand is a personal favourite of mine, bezerkers are a bit cheaper than thousand sons, and very, very killy :victory: plus theres a lot of rather sexy kits for khorne on forgeworld, some of those conversion packs look sweet, plus, they'll probably give you an edge on the modelling/painting side of things for the campaign :biggrin:

ROT 09-22-10 06:57 PM

Going to take this chance, as a new player to chaos to say;

Thousand Sons are just too expensive, I find it impossible to run them :|

2 Squads of Thousand Sons = 3 Squads of Khorne Berserkers or Plague marines - Where are much better units (In my opinion)

Visit my Khorne Compendium and Svartmetall's Death Guard and Black Legion Compendiums. (Links are in Relevant signatures)

Think carefully before you swear an alliance to a God; I Think Tzeentch is a Bad Choice.

LordWaffles 09-22-10 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROT (Post 735984)
Think carefully before you swear an alliance to a God; I Think Tzeentch is a Bad Choice.

We dont swear allegiance to any gods anymore, not unless LashingDPsChosenZerkersPlaguesOblits are a god. They should be as they're the only good things in the dex.

ROT 09-22-10 07:55 PM

I disagree with every word you just said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordWaffles (Post 736006)
We dont swear allegiance to any gods anymore

Wrong. Because about 80% of Heresy's Chaos Players do; If not for efficiency, for fun. So by 'We' you mean We the minority, not 'We' the average chaos player, So if you like there is no 'We' involved, more a 'You' and a few others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordWaffles (Post 736006)
not unless LashingDPsChosenZerkersPlaguesOblits are a god. They should be as they're the only good things in the dex.

You forgot:

-Defilers
-Vindicators
-Noise Marines
-Bikers
-Abaddon
-Khârn
-Typhus
-Greater Daemons
-Lesser Daemons
-Land Raiders
-Predators
-Rhinos

Off the top of my head.

LordWaffles 09-22-10 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROT (Post 736060)
I disagree with every word you just said.
Wrong. Because about 80% of Heresy's Chaos Players do; If not for efficiency, for fun. So by 'We' you mean We the minority, not 'We' the average chaos player, So if you like there is no 'We' involved, more a 'You' and a few others.

Really now? So your entire army is dedicated toward a single god? Including the vehicles? Cause wait, I definitely do not see any saw arms on your khorne-marked rhinos that attack in CC.

I was speaking from our mechanical failure of a codex, sure we can call ourselves whatever we want, but that doesn't change how we can just USE any fucking gods we want for no reason. Or we can pick one god and lose at competitive play from a fluffy gimp.

That being said I love seeing themed armies, but they are somewhat unviable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROT (Post 736060)
You forgot:

-Defilers
-Noise Marines
-Bikers
-Abaddon
-Khârn
-Typhus
-Greater Daemons
-Lesser Daemons
-Land Raiders
-Predators
-Lords
-Sorcerors
-Fabius Bile
-Lucius
-Thousand Sons
-Chaos Spawn
-Possessed
-Terminators

Oh look. Everything that's unplayably fuckawful in the codex!

Rhinos aren't a seperate entry in the chaos dex, so I assumed with the squad these came with, just as I wouldn't mention ALL the wargear options.

Vindicators I'll give to you, with daemonic possession they make bank, also raptors can SOMETIMES work, double melta icon of glory is solid.

ROT 09-22-10 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordWaffles (Post 736076)
Really now? So your entire army is dedicated toward a single god? Including the vehicles? Cause wait, I definitely do not see any saw arms on your khorne-marked rhinos that attack in CC.

WOW. I'm not even going to bother. Lol.

ROT out.