Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Rules Discussion (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/17-40k-rules-discussion/)
-   -   question about dedicated transport (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-rules-discussion/68227-question-about-dedicated-transport.html)

dewn_moutain 08-07-10 03:42 PM

question about dedicated transport

so i have a space marine army. and i am looking to add in some trans for them. but as i was reading it, i had some theories that i want to post and see if its possible to do.

theory 1) it is possible to purchase 2 razorbacks for a 10man squad who has broken into combat squads.

theory 2) if you really wanted to, you could purchase a rhino/razorback and a drop pod and at deployment, decide which trans would your squad ride in. the rules only state that a dedicated transport can only be used by the chosen squad, BUT they dont have to be in it at the start of the game. Once the game starts, it can be used by anyone. So aside from the obvious points cost, i think it would be a tactical gain, since the enemy wont know if your troops are in the rhino/razor or falling from the sky.

yes, i know theory 2 is total cheese of the rules and takes the fun out of the game, but ive gone up against guys who have done alot worse just so they can "get the win". so i thought a little payback to them was in order.

lokis222 08-07-10 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewn_moutain (Post 695209)
so i have a space marine army. and i am looking to add in some trans for them. but as i was reading it, i had some theories that i want to post and see if its possible to do.

theory 1) it is possible to purchase 2 razorbacks for a 10man squad who has broken into combat squads.

theory 2) if you really wanted to, you could purchase a rhino/razorback and a drop pod and at deployment, decide which trans would your squad ride in. the rules only state that a dedicated transport can only be used by the chosen squad, BUT they dont have to be in it at the start of the game. Once the game starts, it can be used by anyone. So aside from the obvious points cost, i think it would be a tactical gain, since the enemy wont know if your troops are in the rhino/razor or falling from the sky.

yes, i know theory 2 is total cheese of the rules and takes the fun out of the game, but ive gone up against guys who have done alot worse just so they can "get the win". so i thought a little payback to them was in order.

The tac squad that breaks down into two combat squads is one unit until deployment begins. When purchasing the unit, under the Dedicated Transports section, it says that A, B, or C may be chosen. So, I would say that more than one per unit may not be taken.

ItsPug 08-07-10 04:39 PM

Nope, sorry, although you can pick a landraider as a heavy choice and a drop pod for the dedicated transport to do it - its just very expensive.

Supersonic Banana 08-07-10 09:47 PM

What ive always wondered is if you get a dedicated transport for a unit can you deploy one and keep the other in reserve?

ChaosSpaceMarineGuy 08-07-10 09:53 PM

Theory 1) False b/c you choose 1 of the # of transports that are available to the unit and then right before the game starts you choose if you want the said unit to break into combat squads or not.
Theory 2) False b/c a unit can ONLY have one dedicated transport.

dewn_moutain 08-07-10 10:23 PM

where does it say i can ONLY have one transport. its not listed in the bible.

and the SM codex states that the unit may choose razorback or rhino, if the unit numbers 10 models, it may choose drop pod. so sure, its a rhino or razorback, but it doesnt say, like it did in the old codex's, " if squad numbers 6 or less, it may choose razorback. if squad numbers 7 to 10 it may take rhino". so its still possible to take a razorback for the squad. Nowhere does it say that if you have more than the max allowed can you NOT buy the transport in the new codex.

Unforgiven302 08-07-10 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewn_moutain (Post 695378)
where does it say i can ONLY have one transport. its not listed in the bible.

Check the entry for dedicated transports in a unit that can have them: Like regular marines on page 134. "May select A rhino or A razorback." It is singular. Only one transport, (of any type) for a single unit no matter the units size.

and the SM codex states that the unit may choose razorback or rhino, if the unit numbers 10 models, it may choose drop pod. so sure, its a rhino or razorback, but it doesnt say, like it did in the old codex's, " if squad numbers 6 or less, it may choose razorback. if squad numbers 7 to 10 it may take rhino". so its still possible to take a razorback for the squad. Nowhere does it say that if you have more than the max allowed can you NOT buy the transport in the new codex.

Yes, you can take a razorback for a unit of 10 marines, they just cannot embark into it until they number 6 or less models.

Hope that helps.

dewn_moutain 08-07-10 11:00 PM

unforgiven! you are da man!!!! sweet!

ChaosSpaceMarineGuy 08-08-10 10:17 PM

You were probably reading it a RAW instead of taking into consideration the RAI.

dewn_moutain 08-09-10 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosSpaceMarineGuy (Post 696104)
You were probably reading it a RAW instead of taking into consideration the RAI.

At the expense of sounding like "THAT GUY", if GW wanted things to be "as intended", they should've written them out, and made them RAW.

I am not a rules lawyer, far from it. I am all about the fun of the game. I just get giddy at the idea of seeing my opponent shooting at a rhino that has nothing in it and watch his face go from confusion to astonishment as i drop a drop pod right next to the unit that shot up the empty rhino. (i spent 4 years in the Army, in a unit that was all about misdirection and shock and awe tactics. When we would get together to play some 40K, we would push the rules to the limit. When you're in the military, you get very good at memorizing regulations and using them to your advantage when its needed. It rubbed off into other areas of my life.)